Legend Unveiled

I think the artist did a great job with the ladies. But the dude should should have also had some skin on display...instead we get a stodgy puritan dressed in neck to toe mail clutching his pummel (metaphor) for dear life. This guy just does not scream action packed fantasy adventure...chess club maybe.

I don't think mongoose will ever win any graphic design/ art prizes with poor maps or deck plans in nearly every product range, mediocre covers on many and now if this leftover manga piece is going to be the cover then I'll be with RQ6 and back to 3rd age glorantha.....sorry but it just doesn't scream legend!!

I'm not a big fan of that cover at all. I don't much like the art or the logo. I've bought several RPG books over the years based on cover/interior art alone and if I saw that sitting on the shelf at my FLGS I doubt I would even give it a second glance, let alone pick it up and thumb through it. Sorry, but IMO that cover has 'FAIL' written all over it.

Jujitsudave said:
You may want to consider a different cover. Something with a medieval flair, perhaps?
Probably a little late now as it is most likely at the printers (sigh).

Given the lack of positive feedback, it appears it would have been prudent to post the cover art submissions (if there was more than one!) and get some feedback via a poll or something.

Personally, I don't think it's a great cover, but I don't think it's that bad either. Each to their own however...

Jujitsudave said:
I really don't care. It's the content that matters.

I agree. Apparently a lot of posters are more concerned with the look of the book rather than what's inside. For $10 I don't see why it's such an issue.

I agree. Apparently a lot of posters are more concerned with the look of the book rather than what's inside. For $10 I don't see why it's such an issue.

I think it is a huge issue actually, not for me, but for the company. I only very recently got into the game, and would like to see it do well. I picked it up and flipped through it because the book looked awesome. I am a sucker for leatherette books, especially with the gold foil lettering. My limited edition Castles and Crusades books are very similar. I just picked up the One Ring: Adventures Over the Edge of the Wild from Cubicle7, and it has some of the most gorgeous artwork I have ever seen. Does that make a game? Of course not. But it does evoke mood, feeling, and atmosphere. It does set a flavor for people glancing at it on a store shelf. I think marketing-wise this cover will be disastrous; it does nothing to evoke the epic mood that it should, but is rather bland, uninteresting, and slightly preteen. I for one will be a bit sheepish about carrying that book around, so I will get the pdf and print it with a cover of my own devising most likely.

If it isn't at the printer already, I would beg Mongoose to alter the artwork. At the very least loose the artwork and keep the logo only, though I don't care much for that either. There is only logo on my RQ2 books, but they look fantastic, so I don't think its a must.

I hated to even post this on the boards, but I am concerned for the product....it is way too awesome to get the cold shoulder by potential customers who won't give it a chance when they see it on the gamestore shelf.

I don't think it's that bad I must admit.

I'm on Siesta in Rome and waaaay to relaxed to offer more of an explanation than that.

- Dan

DamonJynx said:
Apparently a lot of posters are more concerned with the look of the book rather than what's inside. For $10 I don't see why it's such an issue.

To be fair, this is a thread discussing the cover.

Also, we pretty much know what is inside. :)

@piperdog

I've just had another look and I kinda see where you're coming from. As a "mature" gamer if I knew nothing of the games history, I probably wouldn't give that book much more than a cursory glance at my FLGS. But I've done that before...to my regret!

The cover certainly doesn't reach out and smack you in the face with "there's a really good game system in this book. Buy it or you'll be sorry!"

But hey, it is only $10.00 and as long as the content outshines the cover...

Greg Smith said:
DamonJynx said:
Apparently a lot of posters are more concerned with the look of the book rather than what's inside. For $10 I don't see why it's such an issue.

Also, we pretty much know what is inside. :)

Well actually, it's not. It started as an announcement by Mongoose 'unveiling ' the new product and all the majority of posters have done is hang crap on the cover.

Like I said, for $10.00 who cares about the cover? If it attracts younger players to the hobby (which is who I think it's aimed at) at an affordable price, that's a good thing right?

Piperdog said:

I think it is a huge issue actually, not for me, but for the company. I only very recently got into the game, and would like to see it do well. I picked it up and flipped through it because the book looked awesome. I am a sucker for leatherette books, especially with the gold foil lettering. My limited edition Castles and Crusades books are very similar. I just picked up the One Ring: Adventures Over the Edge of the Wild from Cubicle7, and it has some of the most gorgeous artwork I have ever seen. Does that make a game? Of course not. But it does evoke mood, feeling, and atmosphere. It does set a flavor for people glancing at it on a store shelf. I think marketing-wise this cover will be disastrous; it does nothing to evoke the epic mood that it should, but is rather bland, uninteresting, and slightly preteen. I for one will be a bit sheepish about carrying that book around, so I will get the pdf and print it with a cover of my own devising most likely.

If it isn't at the printer already, I would beg Mongoose to alter the artwork. At the very least loose the artwork and keep the logo only, though I don't care much for that either. There is only logo on my RQ2 books, but they look fantastic, so I don't think its a must.

I hated to even post this on the boards, but I am concerned for the product....it is way too awesome to get the cold shoulder by potential customers who won't give it a chance when they see it on the gamestore shelf.

+1

DamonJynx said:
Greg Smith said:

Well actually, it's not. It started as an announcement by Mongoose 'unveiling ' the new product

The subject may have been 'Legend Unveiled', but the actaul post was:

msprange said:
We have just posted the new cover to the core Legend rulebook - you can see it at;

So I think most of the posters looked at the meat of the topic rather than just the title. :)

I do agree the price is a very good thing. And the price should attract gamers to the game. Although I think the cover should also do that and it may not do so.

Jujitsudave said:
You may want to consider a different cover. Something with a medieval flair, perhaps?

As opposed to a knight in armour and two women in medieval clothing?

I quite like the cover. In fact, a cover like that wuld attract me to the book, and I am notorious for not caring for artwork.

soltakss said:
Jujitsudave said:

As opposed to a knight in armour and two women in medieval clothing?

That's medieval clothing? That would be a very merrie England indeed...

Although that logo really doesn't go with the art, I have to admit I'm deeply unoffended by the cover. That might be because I'm old and I used to buy stuff like this:

RQIIsmall.jpg

As for putting people off, well, let's tot up the statistics for what the advertising industry is made of; boobies on the one side, and ... hmm, I can't see whats on the other side, there's this massive pile of boobies in the way.

And I strongly urge people who compare this to manga to watch some anime (erm, because anime looks like manga, but better). Anime has way better fan service.

Now, where's the preview of the inside of the book?

Vile said:
Although that logo really doesn't go with the art, I have to admit I'm deeply unoffended by the cover. That might be because I'm old and I used to buy stuff like this:

RQIIsmall.jpg

Of course that cover was a cynical Games Workshop (need more boobies) rework of the original art which showed a strong woman, decked out in vaguely ancient Greek armour fighting off a giant lizard.
rq2box.jpg

I'm not offended by the cover, I just find it somewhat pathetic.

I'm sorry but I do not like the cover.I know the artist worked very hard to create that but I must say I don't think it looks appropriate to the content. Its too anime/WoW looking to me, not even a good WoW art ripoff.

I think a more mature/realistic looking cover would be better. I always thought something like what Cary Nord did for Dark Horses latest Conan series would suit Legend well.

That's just my opinion though, my apologies to the artist.

Deleriad said:
Of course that cover was a cynical Games Workshop (need more boobies) rework of the original art which showed a strong woman, decked out in vaguely ancient Greek armour fighting off a giant lizard.
Quite true, although I don't think the original cover ever made it across the Atlantic. And it was vaguely ancient Greek armour with boobies ... :wink:

Back