LEGEND Progress?

Piperdog

Mongoose
I was hoping Mongoose could give us an update on the progress of the book; I know it is aimed for an October release, but I am wondering if we could find out what tweaks, if any, are in the new book. :D

Seeing as I already have the MRQ2 books, I'm in no rush at all.
I'd rather they take as long as they need to get everything proofread and some things clarified as well.

danskmacabre said:
Seeing as I already have the MRQ2 books, I'm in no rush at all.
I'd rather they take as long as they need to get everything proofread and some things clarified as well.

I suspect that there's not a great deal of work needed to clean up the core rulebook, but the bestiary will need some attention to remove the Glorantha-specific references.

I agree on the bestiary. I would like many more classic fantasy creatures included in the next one.

As to the core book itself, I just wondered what new material, if any, will be included as options. I.e. talents, reworked magic system, etc.

Piperdog said:
I agree on the bestiary. I would like many more classic fantasy creatures included in the next one.

As to the core book itself, I just wondered what new material, if any, will be included as options. I.e. talents, reworked magic system, etc.

It would be nice if some of the expanded Sorcery rules from the Wraith Recon setting make it into the core rules, but I suspect that this won't be the case - Mongoose won't want to break backwards compatibility with the RQ II books.

I agree with Prime -evil. I would like to see as much erratta fixed as possible and maybe a few more examples of certain rules.

Fiddler said:
I agree with Prime -evil. I would like to see as much erratta fixed as possible and maybe a few more examples of certain rules.

Agreed. But I suspect that the new version will be just a straight reprint of the RQ II core rulebook with some new artwork and no Glorantha-specific content. Although that's a bit of a lost opportunity, I can understand why Mongoose would choose to go down that path. They are being careful not to alienate people who have purchased the RQ II product line.

Personally, I also think that there are some material in Cults of Glorantha that could easily be stripped of the setting-specific content and moved to the core rulebook to expand the spell list in the Divine Magic chapter. The rules for Passions from the Elric rulebook might also make a good addition to the core rules, along with the rules for Rune Magic. And there are a few spells in Necromantic Arts that would should probably be brought across.

Hi guys,

We'll have something solid on this for you very soon. However, for now, I can tell you that Gareth Hanrahan has been through the Legend rulebook and adjusted everything that, well, needed adjusting, Monsters of Legend has already been run through, and he is about to commence work on the Spider God's Bride!

msprange said:
Hi guys,

We'll have something solid on this for you very soon. However, for now, I can tell you that Gareth Hanrahan has been through the Legend rulebook and adjusted everything that, well, needed adjusting, Monsters of Legend has already been run through, and he is about to commence work on the Spider God's Bride!

Great news! It will be interesting to learn about the direction that you are taking Legend in :)

Gareth Hanrahan has a decent track record, so it's nice to hear that you have engaged him to work on the Legend product line.

Prime_Evil said:
...Gareth Hanrahan has a decent track record, so it's nice to hear that you have engaged him to work on the Legend product line.
That's encouraging. I don't know him -- what else has he worked on?

Steve

sdavies2720 said:
Prime_Evil said:
...Gareth Hanrahan has a decent track record, so it's nice to hear that you have engaged him to work on the Legend product line.

He did RQ Pirates, which is one of the best RQ things that Mongoose has done.

Thanks for the information!

I do have another question...sorry! But is there a Legend GM screen in the works as well? I would hope there is, and I hope this time around it is landscape rather than portrait style. I like the screen lower to the table so I can see the table on the other side a bit better. Just my humble request! :)

This is well timed for my group at least, as they are all just trying it for the first time. They are waiting for the book to be released, and in the meantime relying on my RQII books to get us by until then.

sdavies2720 said:
He did Deus Vult, Blood of Orlanth, Jrustela, Hawkmoon (MRQI),Necromantic Arts.......and many other !

Gareth also wrote Mongoose Traveller, so he knows his way around game mechanics.

I'm pleased he's overseeing the changes and hope he's devised elegant solutions for those few wonky bits everyone seemed to have trouble with.

Gareth Hanrahan has lately been working on The Laundry RPG and couple of GUMSHOE products like Brief Cases for Mutant City Blues.

All of which makes him a great choice to guide the transition from RQ II to Legend!

I think that we may be entering a golden age for percentile-based systems - Mongoose is putting out Legend, Chaosium's BRP system is finally gaining some traction, OpenQuest is expanding into new genres, and there's a brand new edition of Runequest on the horizon. Given how easy it is to mix-and-match elements from the various systems, this is a great time to leap on-board. My only fear is that we may end up with a market glut that causes gamer burnout.

Back