Latent Telepaths

Barbara

Mongoose
In one of the novels, it states that the Latent Telepaths live in one of the dormitories at Teep Town until they become actual Telepaths. Since this is usually during puberty or adolescence, what happens to the ones who are still latents as adults?
Do they continue living in TeepTown, going nowhere and doing nothing or are they chucked out... sorry released ...allowed back into the community? Are they stilll watched as adults?
(Psi corp personnel handing a creditcard to someone. "Sorry. Well actually we're not sorry for the inconvenience. You're no use to us here. So here's some money to rent a room for a week. Go and live somewhere else. Just tell people that it turned out that you weren't a telepath after all. Oh and we'll be keeping an eye on you just in case.")

Or do they get jobs in Psi Corp? What as?
They don't go to the Minor/Major Academies. Where do they do their schooling and what are they schooled in?

Having been listed at Psi Corp they will be veiwed as Telepaths by mundanes and by not becoming "true" telepaths, mundanes by telepaths. Their job prospects are likely to be low, due to preconceptions. Even explaining that you only had a chance to turn into a telepath won't help. "What ,you had a chance to turn into a telepath while you were younger. But nobody knows how it works, so you might turn into one while you are an adult. " (Don't you just love normal level human paranoia.)

At a guess, they're still part of Psi Corps to a degree - if they've been brought to TeepTown and put in a dorm, then the Corps is their legal guardian and would still have to provide them with housing/education.

They wouldn't join the Corps itself when they graduate, of course, and would presumably be schooled in a mundane school before then.

Afterwards...I'd guess some would get jobs with Psi Corps, working as technicians/admin staff and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Corps pushed others into fields where telepaths aren't allowed work, like journalism, politics and the law, just to ensure the Corps has 'friendlies' there.

Of course there are always those Psi Corps experiments.....

That is what the precurser to Dust was, an attempt to activate the Latent Telepathic gene in all Humans. Bester explained it best in Dust to Dust

There are numerous jobs that a Latent could do for the Corps. Guard, Outreach personal, Reception, janitor, etc.

Not everyone in Teep town is an Awakened Telepath. To use a Telepath to clean restrooms would be a waste of them as far as the Corps is concerned (except for disiplinary action :wink: ).

Another question. Latent telepaths can sense the general emotion of someone within 10ft of them by concentrating for a round. No roll required.

an active telepath has to use accidental scan for it, which you can't seem to use as a " controlled" skill. They have to make a roll to see if they get anything. Does this mean that you stop "feeling" people as much, when you become a telepath or can you actually use accidental scan ,deliberately? In the 2nd PsiCorp novel. The children are actively checking the emotions of people around them and they are not Latents.

Barbara said:
Another question. Latent telepaths can sense the general emotion of someone within 10ft of them by concentrating for a round. No roll required.

an active telepath has to use accidental scan for it, which you can't seem to use as a " controlled" skill. They have to make a roll to see if they get anything. Does this mean that you stop "feeling" people as much, when you become a telepath or can you actually use accidental scan ,deliberately? In the 2nd PsiCorp novel. The children are actively checking the emotions of people around them and they are not Latents.

I never noticed that before. :eek:
I would be more tempted to rule that a roll was required (maybe an opposed will check), and that they expend a point of subdual doing so.

According to the novel, telepaths "see" the emotion around a person. The stronger it is , the easier to sense the emotion.

Imagine the poor telepath who gets too close to a meeting of a highly emotional group.whether political, religious, sports. Hmm ,can't imagine any telepath going to rock concerts, not after the first time.

Barbara said:

Maybe this is due to the fact that latents have not been trained to put up telepathic shields?

Just a thought.

LBH

That is the first thing that Talia taught Alysa in Legacies Season 1 was how to build a basic shield to block out all the stray thoughts.

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/017.html

People like Garibaldi broadcast their thoughts from half way down the hall, can you imagine the feelings that he was sending since he does not like Telepaths in the first place (aside from the tasty ones like Lyta & Talia)?

scottmage said:
People like Garibaldi broadcast their thoughts from half way down the hall, can you imagine the feelings that he was sending since he does not like Telepaths in the first place (aside from the tasty ones like Lyta & Talia)?

I'm sure Lyta and Talia would have preferred hostility to mental drooling.

Can you imagine the reaction of any woman you have been attracted to if she were able to read your thoughts?

A slap in the mouth often offends....

crizh said:
A slap in the mouth often offends....

The same reason my brother never used his daftest chat up line. He reckoned "Hop on baby!" would work 2 times out of 100. the other 98 you'd get hurt. He reckoned as long as it worked the first 2 times . . . .

:roll:

LBH

Yes that's even worse. Being a teenager is bad enough but trying not to broadcast lust every time someone you've got a crush on goes past.

Yes that's even worse. Being a teenager is bad enough but trying not to broadcast lust every time someone you've got a crush on goes past.

In Mindwar Season 1, during the opening credits, Talia is explaining to a client what it is like to be a Telepath. During the conversation they get into one of the transit cars and Garabaldi is on it. He is thinking just those kind of thoughts and Talia elbows him in the gut. Garabaldi does not cry out, but when Talia and the client get out, he mutters "Ooo. I think I'm in love" :lol:

He of course had done it on purpose since she was telling the client that sometimes with strong emotions a Telepath just cannot block it out. That is why even though Sheridan had all those Minbari Telepaths around, Bester was attempting to get a rise out of someone by aluding to the fact that Psi Corps had disected Talia after they got the sleeper back.

I suspect that Telepaths have to be content to either take sleepers or watch an event on TV.

Anonymous said:
He of course had done it on purpose since she was telling the client that sometimes with strong emotions a Telepath just cannot block it out.

In this case it was even more so - knowing Garibaldi was there, and knowing what he was like, made him even harder to ignore.

The local public libraries have the Seasons of B5 on DVD, I checked out Season 1 & 2 for the week. Last night I was re-watching the Purple Files Season 1 and Talia had to leave a negotiation between Jakar (sp) and Molari. Later she was talking to Sinclair about the talks and she remarked how erotic Molari's thoughts were, Sinclair pointed out the new love in his life.

I would wonder if that would not be a way to "block" a Scan and lie when you are under some kind of negotiation? If you are attempting to make it harder to Scan you, you are thinking about erotic thoughts with the Telepath that is scanning you. If the Telepath is the same sex as you, and you do not have that preference, that would be VERY distracting. Maybe you could think violent thoughts of stangling, stabbing, etc. the Telepath. That level of emotion would certainly make it difficult to work in that enviornment.

Anonymous said:
I would wonder if that would not be a way to "block" a Scan and lie when you are under some kind of negotiation? If you are attempting to make it harder to Scan you, you are thinking about erotic thoughts with the Telepath that is scanning you. If the Telepath is the same sex as you, and you do not have that preference, that would be VERY distracting. Maybe you could think violent thoughts of stangling, stabbing, etc. the Telepath. That level of emotion would certainly make it difficult to work in that enviornment.

Well in Thirdspace Lyta mentions that she is trained to tell the difference between the truth and what someone thinks ids the truth. I'd guess teeps are trained to get round this as well, it's too much of a weakness if they're not.

LBH

Found it :!:

I knew I had seen something somewhere on Telepaths and events. In Psi Corps there is a drug called Mute on page 56. Mute is a weaker version of the Sleeper drugs. "Mute is taken as a precaution before a telepath visits a crowded or emotional situation."

This way a teen telepath could attend a concert (I think they still have rock stars, they have commedians so why not) or a sporting event and handle it.

Shame you can't get a similar drug for mundanes to mute their hearing.

Anyone ever been to a Mogwai concert? They make Disaster Area seem quiet!

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Shame you can't get a similar drug for mundanes to mute their hearing.

Anyone ever been to a Mogwai concert? They make Disaster Area seem quiet!

LBH

You obviously don't have Teen aged kids yet :wink:

They produce that drug naturally...maybe that is why they listen to that kind of "music"....

But remember according to the base book & the Psi Corp book (which has the best single letter screw up.) it is really hard for mundanes to resist telepaths. Which is a crock of shit. A commercial telepath is Level 2, P5, +2 stat mod. This means all they need is a 10 to resist. That is assuming a base of 0 Will save. Unless they are high level and high P-rating, the mundane has a good chance of resisting because they automatically get a save. Despite the fact that they may not know anything is being done and surface scan states that the person doesn't feel it.
Enough ranting. gotta get to class.

Best single letter screw up- Under Genetics. Most telepath genes are on the Y chromosone, making the mothers genes very important. Isn't it nice to know that there are no female telepaths because it is sex-linked. (Who would have thought that b udgie breeding would come in handy)

Back