Lankhmar Unleashed and RQ II

To be honest, I always found the character creation rules in Lankhmar and Lankhmar Unleashed an enormous waste of space, because they don't "simulate" the setting any better than the corebook cultural backgrounds and professions : I just use the latter instead.

For Black Magic, I use the corebook sorcery rules along with the thematic manipulation and corruptions rules found page 146-147,replacing the mention "manipulation skills" by "manipulation skill". If you prefer, you can perfectly use the Black magic rules as written, the two big differences with RQII sorcery being that you now have 4 manipulation skills instead of one and one skill for every spell.

Althought I also felt pretty annoyed with Mongoose for the flawed implementation of the RQII rules, it doesn't really take a lot of work to use Lankhmar Unleashed with RQII.

rabindranath72 said:
And I was thinking of getting the book...I saved some money it seems. Very poor attention to customers, it seems. :(

Ditto.

Every time a Mongoose books strikes me as potentially interesting, I make sure to read some reports first. It seems that 90% of the time there is some problem that causes me to lose interest.

The MRQII corebook is great. What happened afterwards? I want to like this game, but it seems that Mongoose is deliberately trying to turn me off of it.
:?

Akrasia said:
rabindranath72 said:
And I was thinking of getting the book...I saved some money it seems. Very poor attention to customers, it seems. :(

Ditto.

Every time a Mongoose books strikes me as potentially interesting, I make sure to read some reports first. It seems that 90% of the time there is some problem that causes me to lose interest.

The MRQII corebook is great. What happened afterwards? I want to like this game, but it seems that Mongoose is deliberately trying to turn me off of it.
:?

Typos are one thing and I've got used to the poor maps. Lankhmar Unleashed took the whole thing to a new level. It clearly did not meet its own description of being compatible with RQ2. So much so I have wondered whether Mongoose breached trading standards in the uk. They have promised an errata, which is some consolation. We should not have to wait 12 months for it though.

Arasmo said:
Althought I also felt pretty annoyed with Mongoose for the flawed implementation of the RQII rules, it doesn't really take a lot of work to use Lankhmar Unleashed with RQII.

To explain, Lankhmar Unleashed was 100% compatible with the RQII rules set - when it was written. However, there was a time lag between Lankhmar being released and RQII, during which the latter received further development.

Not intended but it made RQII itself better and, of course, Lankhmar had already been published and could not be recalled. A nice idea to make it forward compatible but it did not work out.

msprange said:
Arasmo said:

To explain, Lankhmar Unleashed was 100% compatible with the RQII rules set - when it was written. However, there was a time lag between Lankhmar being released and RQII, during which the latter received further development.

Not intended but it made RQII itself better and, of course, Lankhmar had already been published and could not be recalled. A nice idea to make it forward compatible but it did not work out.

Matt, not really sure where this leaves me the paying customer though? I bought a book in good faith that was usable with RQ2. The published version, not a play test version, is the only one that counts isn't it?

When RQ2 was published I bought suitable setting books including Lankhmar Unleashed to kick-start my creative juices. Now I already owned the 1st edition, so the setting descriptions in the new edition were less important than the compatibility with the new rules.

Now I don't know how long it took to finalize RQ2 and send it to the publishers but I guess it would be weeks to months. When you knew that Lankhmar Unleashed was no longer compatible with RQ2 when did you officially tell anyone? When did you add a warning note to the products web page? I rest my case.

Wolfe1759 said:
Still waiting :roll:

According to the annual State of the Mongoose Address...

Matthew Sprange said:
... we will also be setting aside some time very early in 2011 to finally fulfil our promise to bring Lankhmar Unleashed up to proper RuneQuest II spec. ...

Which will be about the time my AD&D Lankhmar game will be wrapping up. So...fingers crossed.

-Hans

Back