Keeping up with Armor

If anyone cares, oobleck is an example of a non-Newtonian fluid [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid ]. There's a bunch of them, and they're fun to read about, make and play with (it helps if you have kids at home to give you an "excuse").

Shayd3000 said:
So....

My players came up with this:

Fireproof suit
TL10 Cloth
TL12 Cloth
Boarding Vacc Suit

For total protection of 25 - doable?

The argument is, TL10 cloth is worn like clothing, thus the Fireproof suit and TL12 cloth can go under it, then the Vacc suit goes over the top of all that since a Vacc suit can be worn over clothing.

Hard to argue with it based on descriptions alone and little to no guidance in the mechanics. My concern is with situations like this, it gets to be a challenge to challenge characters that can get to such high protection levels. Most flora/fauna can't penetrate that, and my derelict ship with the yellow-musk zombies was not even a nuisance, though it was still fun.

I just thought I would bounce this off of folks and see what fell out.

George

I would happily let people do this. Then I'd impose a massive penalty to all physical actions because your arms will stick straight out at your sides like you were doing an impression of Rio's Christ the Redeemer. And forget getting anything from a pocket or a holster at your waist - those locations are now inaccessible. Basically, they'd be Tellytubbies, good only for running in circles, laughing, falling-down and flailing like an inverted turtle.

Evil Aardvark said:
Shayd3000 said:
So....

My players came up with this:

Fireproof suit
TL10 Cloth
TL12 Cloth
Boarding Vacc Suit

For total protection of 25 - doable?

The argument is, TL10 cloth is worn like clothing, thus the Fireproof suit and TL12 cloth can go under it, then the Vacc suit goes over the top of all that since a Vacc suit can be worn over clothing.

Hard to argue with it based on descriptions alone and little to no guidance in the mechanics. My concern is with situations like this, it gets to be a challenge to challenge characters that can get to such high protection levels. Most flora/fauna can't penetrate that, and my derelict ship with the yellow-musk zombies was not even a nuisance, though it was still fun.

I just thought I would bounce this off of folks and see what fell out.

George

I would happily let people do this. Then I'd impose a massive penalty to all physical actions because your arms will stick straight out at your sides like you were doing an impression of Rio's Christ the Redeemer. And forget getting anything from a pocket or a holster at your waist - those locations are now inaccessible. Basically, they'd be Tellytubbies, good only for running in circles, laughing, falling-down and flailing like an inverted turtle.

I would likely impose negative DMs to Dexterity etc. Sort of like wearing 3 layers of cold weather clothing... at some point you become the stay-puff person...

EidgJklU4AA31lS.png

I find the application of the word NO to the more stupid and munchkin like player ideas works wonders. At least give me some creativity and originality when trying to cheat the universe

Back