Keeping B5 Alive Online! Vassal Campaign

LaranosTZ

Mongoose
I am looking for 3 additional players for an online B5 campaign using varient rules. I would like to try a campaign using a linked starmap, and in service dates; where players control systems joined by jumpgates, rather then the loose planetary system method in use now. This means that the locations of ships actually becomes very important.

If you would like to participate in this experimental campaign, and can play or meet for campaign meetings regularly once a week, please send me a PM here and I will set something up for everyone interested!

Laranos did u checkout the updated mod?
I think i've fixed the rendering slowdown, it just happens at the start of the game then stops.

I have, there is still a scaling delay, this is emphasized when you go from zoomed in tight and expand outwards, but once you reach a certain point that seems to go away. It is faster then before though, less delay in the scaling, though it remains to be seen whether that speed will remain when there are a crapload of ships on the board. I haven't tried that yet.

quick question.

Stateside or old blighty. The time difference is a bit of an issue you see.

I am west coast US, so it would be easier to find US players if possible, note I all ready have one, so have two more slots right now. This doesn't bar euro players from participating, it just means that we'd have to work harder to figure out when we can get in games and the like. Again, I'll leave that up to all the players when we figure out whom is interested. (I apologize if I can't get back to this thread as quickly as I'd like, work and such keeps me tied up sometimes.)

ISD would be used, post ancients leaving the galaxy, so that would innately bar the shadows and vorlons.

Banned fleets would be the following;

Gaim
Psi Corp (that's a knee jerk thing, but if all the players decide to allow it, I'd allow it.)

I'm looking at following the example of another campaign recently, which is;

10 point Battle Fleet initial,
5 points added must be battle level or above (and no admiral chosen from these 5 battle points.)

All races start with a homeworld that includes a starbase innately (yes this includes the RR penalty having a starbase), and any fights that take place at the homeworld must include that starbase if possible.

If you lose your homeworld, you're gone.

The map will be evenly distributed, with plenty of RR for everyone, but you will only be able to construct and repair ships at specific points. Your homeworld, and construction yards in certain star systems, (one star system to be exact.)

Lastly, ships must actually be assigned to specific fleets if they want to participate in battle. Fleets may move one jump point per turn, individual ships may move 3, but may not participate in any kinds of fights in any of those systems they rush through, (this is to facilitate ships getting to repair points.) You may have as many fleets as you want, but you must decide what ships are where, yes, this means a bit of trust is in play, but we all play nice here, right?

Now then, if that doesn't scare you off...I would love to get the two more players to roll this game and see what can really happen when you try to capture a section of the galaxy.

Those rules sound really good from a strategic point of view and like a lot of fun.

The one bit I'd be cautious of is all the limitations on ship movement and ship building not leading to very uneven (i.e. not fun) games.

This is just a word of advance caution :)

Well, I think any and all of the above rules would be flexible, depending on the wishes of the players. :) The big things I'm really interested in testing is an actual starmap with fleet locations, and a campaign where you really do need to hold certain locations (ie your homeworld) or you get knocked out. I think it could really prevent the round-and-round syndrome I've seen in other campaigns.

I'd definitely be interested in participating if you still have slots available. I've been pondering about doing something similar (a full star map) with my own goup here. So it definitely peaks my interest.

I'd be interested, thats the kind of campaign i was thinking about launching a few months ago but couldn't find time due to work :(

I'm switching job next week so that shouldn't be a problem anymore !

Ok, have my four players, I will be PMing you with details. If the following people could PM me times they are commonly available, I will set up the first meeting.

hegemon
Itkovian
Romu
chainmailler

Note there are four people on this list. I'm sorry guys, but Romu and Chainmailler you PMed me about the same time. So whichever is more compatable with the TZs that we can play in, I'll have to take.

Please PM me your details.

Thanks guys!

Well, I have not heard anything from Romu, so for those of us still interested:

Hedgemon
ItKovian
Chainmailler

Let's have our firt meeting Sunday March 9th at 10am PST, that's GMT -8, so 6pm GMT. Meet on vassal, and we will organize things, and maybe get in a turn or two as well. Please PM or email me your proposed lists, give two races so we don't overlap.

Remember, fleet construction is:

10pt Battle Main fleet
5 PT Battle, battle level vessels or larger.

No Gaim
If you wish to play Psi-Corp, we'll vote on that first meeting.

Expect PMs with the above information as well.

For those who are playing in this campaign, or those whom are just curious, here we go and here are the rules.

First, the starmap (yes I know it's a galaxy map), the red dots are systems, blue lines are the valid hyperspace routes.

campaignmapnamed.jpg

Rules as Follows:

I am trusting you to keep track of your own fleets, your own rosters, CQs etc. Any other player can witness any rolls for refits, improvements in CQ, or alternate duties. With that in mind...

1. Ships must be placed in specific fleets, ships may not be traded among fleets unless they occupy the same system.

2. A ship may be repaired, or added to a fleet at any time through RRs.

3. Any given fleet may move 1 system per turn, if you are not moving into a combat zone, there is no further action, otherwise determine combat as normal.

4. If multiple race's fleets are in the same sector, a multi-group fight ensues, unless one race has multiple fleets, in which case they can choose to either fight a big ol' brawl, or engage the enemies individually, in this case, if two different races contest the system after the first round of fights, NO ONE owns the system and gets neither the RRs or the system benefit.

5. Since there are multiple fleets, initiative will be as normal, however once init has been determined, you will go down the cycle once, and each person may choose to move one fleet, then once everyone has gone, we go back to the beginning and their next fleet may move...etc. until no one has any more moves.

6. Everyone starts with a battlestation at their homeworld, yes, this means you get the RR penalty, but a homeworld cannot be taken while this base exists, any game large enough to host a station must include that station.

Otherwise, things work as normal. I trust everyone to keep their own fleet rosters, etc. Yes, this means you do not know what is in your opponent's fleets unless you have some method of discovering that fact (ie, you convince them to tell you, or see the system advantages below.)

I will keep track of what fleets are where, though any assistance in this matter is appreciated. Also, I'm not a web-designer, so if anyone wants to put together a webpage, it would be appreciated.

Now! On to the systems!

Home Systems RRs: 5 Advantage: Homeworld, if lost removed from campaign.

Darnor, Ignus, Morar, Yaoth RRS:5 None

Jurath RRS: 3 Scouting, Nebula (The race that owns this system before initiative may look at the fleet composition for one enemy fleet. Nebula add 1d6 additional dust clouds for battles fought in this system.)

Hasinth RRS: 7 Pulsar, Rich (Higher RRs then Normal, start of every turn roll 1d6, on a 1 all ships act as crippled due to EM flare)

Gygax RRS:1d6 Twists of Fate, (This system holds a highly religious people that believe they can shape fate as they see fit, once per turn the owner of this system may choose to reroll any one roll in any circumstance.)

Wether RRS: 4 Unstable Wormhole (The fleet holding this system may bypass normal movement and have a fleet attack any one of the central systems or the system just outside a homeworld, however each ship in the fleet must roll a D6, on a 6 it is destroyed.)

Das RRS: 0 Ancient Factory (The race holding this system recieves a free Raid level vessel per turn that may be added to any fleet.)

First couple of turns have passed, lots of picking up of systems in the first turn, lots of fights in the second, reports to follow.

Ummmm
Yes

Of course the ISA is only interested in restoring peace to this region of the Galaxy despite the presence of Clarquist EA remnants, militant Warrior Caste Minbari and profiteering Vree.

(Annoucement courtesy of the ISA Dept of slandering people we don't like)

No no no, you have it all wrong, the minbari just want to presreve the galaxy, and we must do this to prevent the silly ISA, earthers, and vree, from expoliting our galaxy's natural resources. :roll:

Oh neat layout LaranosTZ, some book keeping though. Either case are you going to post BR on this forum or on another, since I'm bored and want to pass to time reading the success to the Clarquist :)

Back