Just got mine, What are the mini's everyone is using?

Napar

Mongoose
Just picked up my book and the counters but I'd love to use mini's.

What is the scale (I saw two listed in the book, so the one that has the most mini's to use) and where can I find a good selection, who makes them?

Thanks in advance.

I'm using Navwar. They're reasonably priced and reasonably detailed. I picked up all the ships required for the Battle of the River Plate and the Denmark Strait along with a couple of bonus ships and it came to about £10, a real bargain.

http://navwar.co.uk/nav/

If you search through this forum for some of my previous postings you'll see examples of unpainted and painted Navwar ships. The models they make are 1:3000 and somewhere in my past posts you'll also find a picture showing a counter and the equivalent ship to give you some idea of how the two compare.

I'm not sure if they ship to the States or if you can find resellers though....

I use these miniatures, vastly superior to Navwar. Of course they cost more, but I think they are worth it.

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/military-models-wwii-micronauts.html

Since you're in the States, if you want cheap (comparable to NavWar) your best bet is Panzerschiffe:

www.panzerschiffe.com

They produce 1/2400 scale minis in resin which require no assembly and are fairly decent. They also have a huge range, so you can get pretty much anything you need.

If you want highly detailed but expensive, you can go for GHQ (also 1/2400 scale). They generally run about 2.5 - 3 times as much as Panzerschiffe, but are much more detailed. They are metal and do require assembly but look fantastic if you are willing to invest the time and effort in serious paint jobs for them

Yes; there are exceptions both sides of the pond, but I'd say 80% or so of Americans are using 1/2400, and 80% of Brits 1/3000.

I think availability is a big factor; the four main manufacturers are GHQ, Panzerschiffe (both 1/2400, and US) Navwar and Skytrex (both 1/3000, and British....)

Dom. (British, Navwar....)

GHQ pure (my pics are somewhere on this forum), and for ordering I now go through Magister Militum or Wargames Emporium, they are UK based and pack the range, so that saves up on the risk of getting custons caught

Does anyone know what exactly comes in the Navwar Fleet Packs.
They just say 4 BBs 6 CAs and 8 DDs. Sounds like exacly what im looking for, but...WHICH BB's?

Specifically the Italian and Japanese Fleet packs.

thx,
Phos

Phosis21 said:
They just say 4 BBs 6 CAs and 8 DDs. Sounds like exacly what im looking for, but...WHICH BB's?
I think they might vary according to what's available...

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Phosis21 said:
I think they might vary according to what's available...

Wulf

Pot Luck, great!

GHQ purist. The details pop when washed and drybrushed, plus you can see deck planks and pick out all gun mounts. Since 90% of time in the hobby is spent painting/modelling, I like the detail.

BS

DSV1 said:
1/6000 for me due to restricted table size

figurehead models very nice they are too

Eah?

Its not the miniatures, thats going to restrict you. Its the actually ranges, for the ships. They are all in inches!

Back