Just got Lankhmar

I can work out a review down the road, though it might be awhile. Working a ton of hours right now.

I could answer any questions though.

From what I have read so far it could be converted easily to Glorantha, for that matter all of the book could be converted over. The city itself is pretty dark but there should be no problem at all using it with Glorantha.

There is a new Magic System in it called Black Magic that could be used if needed.

I was thinking besides playing in Lankhmar, to also create my own setting using the various magic systems and such, using Glorantha products as well as some other Runequest products.

Take for instance Dark Sun Setting. Black Magic can easily be used for Defilier Magic (might tweak it a very small bit), standard Sorcery for Preservers (again tweaking it a bit).

Character creation is the same

Pick Background, this gives you some starting skills
Pick profession based on background

There is a lot of professions, and some new backgrounds.

I just answered a lot of questions at this thread if interested

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=305661

duncan_disorderly said:
yipwyg said:
I could answer any questions though.

How poor is the Editing and Layout?

You can look at a preview here which should answer your layout question.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/lankhmarpreview.pdf

My favorite nitpick is, that they ommitted the chapter "Character Creation" from the Credits and Contents page by accident :)

Apart from that, my first look over the book showed some typos but nothing really badly edited. But that's just my 2 Cents.

I've ordered my copy, mainly to check out the Black Magic section, but I am interested to know if there are any new Legendary Abilities included in the book?

As for myself, I'd like to hear details about the black magic. What makes it black, and how well is it handled?

Just got the book yesterday. I've skimmed most of the fluff and read through most of the crunch, particularly the Black Magic amd the bad mojo is indeed sweet.

Black Magic works mechanicaly as a form of Tainted Sorcery. It's powered by the Casters Hatred and negative emotions, real Darkside of the Force stuff. In addition to the Manipulation Skills there are three other laws governing Black Magic, Agony, Hatred and Sympathy.

Agony lets the caster sacrifice HP to boost their chances to cast a given spell. Even better if the Wizard has been dealt a blow the round before he can Channel that damage into the spell as well.

Hatred is a very powerfull mechanic, a little too powerfull it seems. Hatred is factored into any of the Spells you cast that deal damage. If it's a loved one you are attacking theres a penalty to the damge. If it's the fellow who wiped out your family and friends his head explodes. Hatred allso gives you bonuses or penalties on Spell's skill roll.

Sympathy is the coolest of the three mechanics. It applies a bonus or penalty to the Manipulation roll depending on how well you know the target. If you something the target touched, owned, cherished or a "sample" of the victim you can get a bonus without knowing them. At the highest levels the Magnitude is increased.

Corruption is the balance to all this power. One cannot channel dark and fell energies without it effecting oneself. When the caster learns a new Black Magic spell, or casts a Black Magic spell there is a chance he becomes corrupted. If the Spell in question used Agony or Hatred there's a good chance corruption will occur. The corruption table is somewhat of a Smorgasbord of banefull mutations and mental abberations table. In many ways it seems more like the Dark Powers checks from Ravenloft and less like RQ mutations.

Another downside to Black Magic is that it is slow. The fastest spell in the book is a casting time of 5. However a Wizard can creat Foci that allow one to cast spells in a hurry.

The Black Magic rules are easily the coolest part of the Book for me. While I would have prefered more that four sample spells in the book it's easy enough to adapt RQ magic to it.

I'd never considered this happening before. Generic RQ players, and those who use other settings, having the book and using it almost purely for the magic system.

Such a minor point of the book and, tellingly, such a minor point of the setting. But practically the only thing getting any talk in these early days after release, largely from readers and gamers who aren't actually Lankhmar fans.

Dizzying stuff.

Dead Blue Clown said:
I'd never considered this happening before. Generic RQ players, and those who use other settings, having the book and using it almost purely for the magic system.

Kind of makes sense, since There is nothing in MRQ specifically sorcerer based, people are looking for something they can adapt. I don't yet have Lankhmar, but of course when I get it I am sure I may use some of it in a game.

Magistus said:
Kind of makes sense, since There is nothing in MRQ specifically sorcerer based, people are looking for something they can adapt. I don't yet have Lankhmar, but of course when I get it I am sure I may use some of it in a game.

Sorcery is covered in the Companion, Magistus.

- Q

Back