July 28th - UK Tournament?

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
I promised some chaps to set another date for a UK tourney this year. How would July 28th sit with everyone?

Nice and in the middle of the summer. Is there somewhere that sell ice creams next to Mongoose towers?

Ben2 said:
Nice and in the middle of the summer. Is there somewhere that sell ice creams next to Mongoose towers?
I foresee a CMOT Dibbler moment coming on...
"Get your ice onna stick here! Lovely ice onna stick!"

I'd guess SF. I will have *guaranteed* two painted fleets by that point lb and I can lend you one to take part.

katadder said:
i'm gonna guess SF too, NA is a dirty little secret they seem to want to forget.

I'd be up for an NA tournament as well.

I'm guessing NA will pick up when the next supplement is out.

Ben2 said:
katadder said:
i'm gonna guess SF too, NA is a dirty little secret they seem to want to forget.

wouldn't bet on it, it's not that popular as it's a pretty dull setting a lot of people don't know. It either needs a lot of background work to be well written to try and get people invoved... or put to bed. The fact that the origional RPG sucked doesn't help get people excited. I can't say what new incarnations of the rpg are like. They may be good.

H said:
Ben2 said:
katadder said:

wouldn't bet on it, it's not that popular as it's a pretty dull setting a lot of people don't know. It either needs a lot of background work to be well written to try and get people invoved... or put to bed. The fact that the origional RPG sucked doesn't help get people excited. I can't say what new incarnations of the rpg are like. They may be good.

It is a good system, but I couldn't give two hoots about the background. While I did pick up some more Noble Armada stuff at the Expo, I don't see myself picking up a fourth fleet for Noble Armada, whereas I'm now working out the logistics of getting a Gorn one. I am happy with three fleet boxes plus extras though.

yup, thats the point, startrek, even based on TOS is instantly recogniseable, you can name ships after your faves in showw (just not on official sites lol) and the rulesets are adaptations of the same one, If you are a new player, unless you have a deep hatred of trek, then you will buy that over NA.

At the Expo we were doing a big push for ACTA: Star Fleet, running demos, and giving people sales chats (I got to use some of the skills I honed chatting to people on doorsteps).

NA certainly takes a back burner compared to getting all the basic SF stuff out (like the Gorn and Kzinti fleet sets), but a fair number of the minis for the new book have already been released, it's the book that has been delayed.

Likely yes, but first...

Do you want a one or two day event?

Do you want something much the same as Klingons on the Starboard Bow, or something 'different?'

I can't afford to shell out for a hotel, unless you're suggesting a sleepover at Mongoose towers.

However if there is demand for a two day event (like a mini-campaign) or a tournament where you play literally everyone else there, then go for it.

I'm tempted to say 2-day, but I wonder if that may stop some people from coming, especially with the price of hotels in summer.

If it does go 2-day though, it would enable us to have more time allocated per battle, and able to use larger forces as a result. It could also open up options such as having a 1500 campaign list, and being able to spend a short amout of time to select a fleet for each battle. It could even be that each battle is of a different points value (so starting off with a few smaller battles, and the grand finale being our ful campaign list).

I get the feeling I'm recycling some ideas from the B5 campaigns, but they were fun, so it's all good ;)

Don't know how Klingons off the Starboard went, but I'd be happy with a one-day (like Expo) or a two-day. I'd be driving by then, so could have someone (possibly two someones) stay if they need beds and are happy with the 40-mile drive.

Back