July 28th - UK Tournament?

Should be interesting either way, let us know the points limits now to get planning (as its June now :shock: ), may be able to attend and if its atwo day event would mongoose stay open a little later on the 1st day and we could use our othe fleets in friendly games.

Will see if i can make it but unsure atm.

"Klingons off the starboard bow, or is that a romulan ship?"

Okay, we'll keep it one day for now (tournament pack and booking details will be up next week).

One final question - do you want the 'standard' tournament-type scenarios (Space Superiority, Call to Arms, etc), or do you want to be jetting around, landing troops, picking up objectives and blasting the enemy?

I do hope not. I have a wedding to go to on the 23rd June, and if I don't turn up I don't think even Lorien would be able to save me :?

msprange said:
One final question - do you want the 'standard' tournament-type scenarios (Space Superiority, Call to Arms, etc), or do you want to be jetting around, landing troops, picking up objectives and blasting the enemy?

The interesting ones, please, with interesting objectives like jetting around, etc :D. Definitely don't want more than one head-to-head - it feels so artificial and is often bland. Learning through playing is so much more effective and with the interesting scenarios, definitely much more fun!

One idea that might be interesting is to have a scenario where your role would be determined by how well you're doing in the tournament.
An example might be the Ambush scenario, with the lower scoring player in each match up taking the role of the attacker: "The fleets that have been doing less well have resorted to asymmetric warfare to try and gain the upper hand."

Ambush itself might work less well for this due to the attacker needing to work out a half strength fleet from his forces, but I hope the general idea comes across ok.

I have also booked off work so should be available

I would prefer a stand up fight - but maybe have some tweeks like esculating size of games -

perhaps 1000pts, 1500pts, 2000/2500pts, allowing largest ship in a fleet to have +1 CQ etc. Def nothing random - like CQ

I also would prefer for all the tables to have reasonably similar amounts of terrain as I noticed the bottom table where I languished in one game had none!!

Okay, the date is set for the 28th, official annoucement next week for Star Fleet's Finest! There will be some new scenarios, and variable fleet sizes in the games.

More news as it comes...

You will need three fleets - at 500, 750 and 1,000 points (and yes, they will all be cmbined in the end). All must be drawn from the same fleet lists for now (that will change when the Gorn and other fleets come out).

Thanks for the heads up. :D

So, three separate fleets (no reusing between games or fleet lists) all put together for a big one, yes?

If it stays the same as the draft I saw yesterday,

Game 1 - 500 point fleet

Game 2 - 750 point fleet

Game 3 - 500 & 750 point fleet combined

Game 4 - 500, 750 & 1000 point fleet combined (though this scenario has 'special' rules, which mean all ships take damage and criticals before the start)

richardcarr2 said:
If it stays the same as the draft I saw yesterday,

Game 1 - 500 point fleet

Game 2 - 750 point fleet

Game 3 - 500 & 750 point fleet combined

Game 4 - 500, 750 & 1000 point fleet combined (though this scenario has 'special' rules, which mean all ships take damage and criticals before the start)

All sounds fun - except the final scenario - IMO its just not suitable for the tournament format - I hope this is changed.

Da Boss said:
All sounds fun - except the final scenario - IMO its just not suitable for the tournament format - I hope this is changed.
I have to admit, a bunch of 2,250 games is a lot of ships and is likely to overrun. Perhaps that's why the "special rules" come in - damage from the previous game?

Whichever, small-->medium mix games I've played with other rulesets work out really well.

The first two should be pretty quick so I think the 2250pt game will be fine.

There is a massively random element to the proposed scenario which I think will be too much for a tournament.

The other element keeping down the time taken for the 2nd game is that all the ships are already half dead at the start of it. Also, with the number of ships involved, I expect the randomness of the damage system to tend to average out somewhat.

nekomata fuyu said:
The other element keeping down the time taken for the 2nd game is that all the ships are already half dead at the start of it. Also, with the number of ships involved, I expect the randomness of the damage system to tend to average out somewhat.

The damage element is not the random bit I am worried about (although it could be important).....its also random which ships arrive on which turn (if at all) so you cold have 12 ships fighting 2 for first turn if one player rolls well and the other does not. Games could be won or lost before you have even put ships on the table - its a great scenario for fun games - Tournaments - bad idea IMO

Da Boss said:
The damage element is not the random bit I am worried about (although it could be important).....its also random which ships arrive on which turn (if at all) so you cold have 12 ships fighting 2 for first turn if one player rolls well and the other does not. Games could be won or lost before you have even put ships on the table - its a great scenario for fun games - Tournaments - bad idea IMO

For two reasons, I do not believe this will be so. First, with the number of ships (drawn from three fleets) involved and with a 4+ rolled for _each_, not the 6+ or Towering Inferno.

Second, even if what you described did happen, because the ships are coming in from their own table edges rather than random edges (like Towering Inferno), if you want to avoid any serious confrontation in turn one, you can.

Of course, you could get no ships on the second turn but, frankly, if you are rolling that many 1s, 2s, and 3s, you are probably not going to be doing well anyway :)

Because of the number of ships involved, and the set up, and the dice roll needed to get on to the table, I would expect it to balance within normal tournament parameters. We'll post the tournament pack this week - if there is a huge outcry, we can always change it to Space Superiority (though that, I think, would be a shame).

Back