Jansholm?

Khamulcalle

Mongoose
I cant see Jansholm in the Blood of Orlanth campaign. Should it not be by the Solthi River?
Has it not yet been founded? or has it been excluded?

/Khamul :)

Khamulcalle said:
I cant see Jansholm in the Blood of Orlanth campaign. Should it not be by the Solthi River?
Has it not yet been founded? or has it been excluded?

/Khamul :)

I believe it has not yet been founded.

Must admit that I had got the impression from somewhere that it was a third age settlement or renaming of one so it never bothered me much when I ran the campaign.

Judging from the Moon Design map it could be placed somewhere near Thunder Bridge though the fit isn't great. After all the map shows no cliffs at all along the Solthi's path. You might have to come up with a bit creative reinterpretation to fit it in.

Maybe for a few generations when Heortland was under the dragon's claw some of the ancient settlements were abandoned and their heroes forgotten by all but a few. Jansholm being one that was swallowed up by the Savage or Steal Forest until it was reclaimed and its ancient wyter restored during the third age.

Or else just gloss over it. [retcon]After all, now we're here in the 5th age with literacy (if not catography) reclaimed, who can truly say how the world looked back then?[/retcon] 8)

It should be placed in line with the town of Smithstone (by the Marzeel River).

Can anyone tell me in what era 136 ST took place? please.

Was it: 2nd Age: Imperial Era or 3rd Age: Modern Era?

/Khamul

ST is Solar Time, iirc, meaning since the Sun rose back into the sky at the dawn of time. Current Gloranthan time for most publications in the Second Age is around 900 ST. Current time for most publications in the Third Age is around 1620.

So 136ST is in the First Age, long before the Sunstop (375 ST iirc) and the rise of Nysalor/Gbaji.

Deleriad said:
Maybe for a few generations when Heortland was under the dragon's claw some of the ancient settlements were abandoned and their heroes forgotten by all but a few. Jansholm being one that was swallowed up by the Savage or Steal Forest until it was reclaimed and its ancient wyter restored during the third age.

This strikes me as quite likely. After all, Whitewall is currently a ruin, but it goes back to being a major stronghold in the Third Age.

So Jansholm is founded somtime between 136-154 ST, which is something like 760 years earlier from today (908 ST), right?

/K

Yes.

History of the Heortling Peoples might have more, but my copy is buried at the moment.

Here are some useful area-centered timelines:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~BLUEMAGI/TimelineMetcalph.htm

This town had 19000 inhabitants at it's peak (from Dragon Pass: Land of Thunder) I guess this is from the Modern Era but it was build around 140 ST....so where did it go????
19K is kinda many people... even if its a ruin during Imerial Era it should be very big ruin and should have been be in the Glorantha Core book right? or am I totally off target?

Simplest solution - Wyrmfriend sympathisers renamed the town Solthmouth, feeling that a more neutral name would hasten the adoptation of Draconised Orlanthism by deemphasising mortal heroes. Solthmouth becomes Jansholm again after the rebellion.

Khamulcalle said:
This town had 19000 inhabitants at it's peak (from Dragon Pass: Land of Thunder) I guess this is from the Modern Era but it was build around 140 ST....so where did it go????
19K is kinda many people... even if its a ruin during Imerial Era it should be very big ruin and should have been be in the Glorantha Core book right? or am I totally off target?

That's a typo in Dragon Pass (and is corrected in the Guide to Glorantha). Jansholm in 1618 had a population of 8000. Prior to the Third Age, Jansholm was either a pretty insignificant population center or completely abandoned.

Jeff

Back