IWM BSG Style Ships

McKickaha

Mongoose
See that IWM have just released 10 new ship minis on their site.
all very much in a Terran, BSG style. Very nice and extremely expensive.

Can't see any rules and apparently not offiical. There was of course a past BSG/CTA fan made PDF

They do look nice, don't they. But at that price, (especially when converted to NZ dollars) plus the postage, I don't think I'll be getting any. Also I'd have no real use for them, and they are a bit pricey for paperwieghts. :lol:

Banichi said:
They do look nice, don't they. But at that price, (especially when converted to NZ dollars) plus the postage, I don't think I'll be getting any. Also I'd have no real use for them, and they are a bit pricey for paperwieghts. :lol:

Even worse, I just noticed the price doesn't include a base either. So add another 3 or 4USD. Might get one as a paperweight, (primarily because I am always interested to see other designs), but that would be all.

Now if they had gone for Stargate..............very different story & even at high prices.

They have a Skirmishstar and a Warstar, but strangely no Battlestar. :lol:

I wonder if they could be persuaded to produce opposing ships looking sort of like birds, fish, spiders and squid? Not in any way related to White Stars, Minbari, Shadows or Vorlons, of course. ;)

AdrianH said:
They have a Skirmishstar and a Warstar, but strangely no Battlestar. :lol:

I wonder if they could be persuaded to produce opposing ships looking sort of like birds, fish, spiders and squid? Not in any way related to White Stars, Minbari, Shadows or Vorlons, of course. ;)

Even if they weren't I am sure GZG might,................. perhaps not. :D

There is always studio bergstrom. The 'not quite the real thing' names he gives every thing to get around copywrite kind of amuse me. "quail before my mighty bowtie fighters, and slingon battle cruisers" :lol:

Banichi said:
There is always studio bergstrom. The 'not quite the real thing' names he gives every thing to get around copywrite kind of amuse me. "quail before my mighty bowtie fighters, and slingon battle cruisers" :lol:

I only became aware of Bergstrom recently, was searching around for minis to convert to spacestations for CTA and was pointed in their direction.

Given whats already out their in resin for BSG makes IWM's decision even stranger & quite a big production investment.

And I think that there is another studio out there that also makes BSG minies in resin. But I can't for the life of me remember the name.

Ravenstar Studios are another source of 'unofficial' resin ships. In fact, these new IWM ones are so similar to some of Ravenstar's that I wonder if the same people are involved.

I guess the question to ask is whether IWM are gearing up for an officially licensed BSG offering? There may be unofficial stuff on the market already, but having the official license would have some kudos and weight with the buyer.

*shrugs*

mikelosaurus said:
Ravenstar Studios are another source of 'unofficial' resin ships. In fact, these new IWM ones are so similar to some of Ravenstar's that I wonder if the same people are involved.

I guess the question to ask is whether IWM are gearing up for an officially licensed BSG offering? There may be unofficial stuff on the market already, but having the official license would have some kudos and weight with the buyer.

*shrugs*

Agree thats one of the only ways that this would make sense and surely rules are necessary to seriously sell minis, (and would also start to explain some of the high prices as licence fee), but then why release the ships before the licence announcement, + no Battlestar etc, as Banichi noted, and with no ruleset.

Very stange indeed, suppose time will tell.

Kickaha said:
but then why release the ships before the licence announcement, + no Battlestar etc, as Banichi noted, and with no ruleset.

Perhaps their marketing gurus are on holiday? Or perhaps they're relying on someone else (e.g. Mongoose) who have dropped the ball...? ;)

I think they're based on the titanium series models. I'm quite satisfied with their galactica and pegasus. Some of the IWM designs look good, but i really need to let my bank account recover first.. :cry:
If there's a metal BS valkyrie lookalike, that's another story :wink:

M1ndr1d3rs said:
I think they're based on the titanium series models. I'm quite satisfied with their galactica and pegasus. Some of the IWM designs look good, but i really need to let my bank account recover first.. :cry:
If there's a metal BS valkyrie lookalike, that's another story

I'd buy ships that are canon from the show, but I'm not inclined to rush out and buy ships based on fan designs or fan fiction. If there's an official game though that gives them all writeups and stats then that's another story... ;)

M1ndr1d3rs said:

Not too up on recognising, anything but the Galactica, which one is the Pegasus look alike. :oops:

Kickaha said:
M1ndr1d3rs said:

Not too up on recognising, anything but the Galactica, which one is the Pegasus look alike. :oops:

The Triton has a flatter head and bigger pods, but I did think I was looking at the Pegasus at 1st. :oops:

I'm somewhat tempted to use 1 of these models as my Avenger proxy (hated the original). :wink:
But the price.. THE PRICE!!! :cry:

Some of the ships look quite interesting, but with that prices I won't buy any of them. The shipping cost and custom charges make them very expensive to order. I'll stay with Bergstrom and Ravenstar

Hello,
If you're searching BSG stuff, try this site :D :

http://armouryhobbies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Yeah those last models are terrible, i've seen some a friend has and urgggh! not just my friend but the minis as well
I quite like the ravenstar resin ships with bergstroms fighters, the only bergstrom ship to scale for both use is his titan and also the $2 metal bases are far better than any i've seen elsewhere
i've invested quite a bit into getting it up and running a BSG ACTA mod so if folks are interested in my musings drop me a PM
even better if you're in the UK we can arrange a game.

I'm tempted to get some of the IWM minis the Tiger especially but I'm happy to see what comes out from both studios this year
I know a colonial one is nearly here and I'm waiting on an order of civies from ravenstar.
from experience GZG do try but I've been dissapointed of late so I think I'm onto the right track with the studios

Just to let chaps know that ravenstar and IWM aren't the same people and are quite distinct
thanks

Back