It makes me sad and angry

Shonuff

Mongoose
It makes me sad, but I cannot help but feel like I have purchased a defective product.

I consider myself a pretty easy-going person, but I am quite frustrated at the sheer amount of errors in this book. For my family right now, it wasn’t easy spending the money for this book but my wife bought it for me for as a Valentine’s Day gift because she knew what a huge Conan fan I am. I was so happy with her thoughtfulness and I looked forward to many great adventures in Hyboria.

The book is attractive, it has a great feel to it, I like what they have done with the game mechanics, but numerous spelling errors / pathetic editing / and gaping holes in the rules are really disturbing.

I guess I cannot just come out and say it is unplayable, because that would be a false statement. I'm a veteran gamer of 22 years now and I know this gaming system (OGL/D20) quite well. I've even been recruiting a number of players for an online game and am excited to get started. (I'll make it work!)

But I cannot help but think it would be only fair for those of us that have purchased this first printing be allowed to exchange our book for the corrected 2nd printing (or at least given half off!).

Maybe I've been spoiled by the superior customer service from my time living in Japan, but this just plain stinks. I've got a half-assed, unfinished product.

My apologies for the whining, but as a buying customer I have the right to let the company know how I feel.

*Shoves hands in pockets and kicks nearby can with head held low*

Thanks for listening.

There you go – Respect.

Despite its flaws, I love the book and am grateful that someone published another Conan RPG. Some of us Conan fans were waiting for this for a long time. I want to see the book and the line succeed. I want to see Mongoose succeed. I even persuaded more than one friend to purchase the book as I was eagerly awaiting mine in the mail.

But now I feel badly. They would have been better off waiting for a corrected version.

I really want to play this game – and I will play this game - but it angers me to be put into a position where I either have to flip through pages and pages of corrections or have to buy it twice in order to finally own the book that it should have been in the first place.

Maybe we can’t receive a corrected version with a trade-in of our old book. I’m a realistic guy. But I do think a discount is not out of the question. There must be some way.

I see the other fans commenting on other threads. I'm not the only one feeling this way. . .

Mongoose Publishing – We want to support you and we appreciate you for putting forth such great ideas for the Conan RPG, but please don’t let this happen again.

Shonuff said:
The book is attractive, it has a great feel to it, I like what they have done with the game mechanics, but numerous spelling errors / pathetic editing / and gaping holes in the rules are really disturbing.

Where are the gaping holes in the rules? I will admit that I haven't read mine cover to cover as some people have, but I havent' come across any missing rules and I have been using the book for a couple of weeks now and not really had any problems.

I'm not tyring to be a smartass or anything, I really am curious as to what you have found missing.

David Broussard
rook111@gt.rr.com

Not to be a smartass also but - have you read the following topics here?

CONAN errors compiled -&- Compiled Answers

Scores of us are trying to figure out which table or section is right, trying to find explanations for missing feats and skills, and trying to clarify the rules that are printed.

It has been a bit much. Instead of reprinting dozens of questions, I'll mention one.

For one solid example of a rules hole, please see the thread Corruption DC's?

Unless I've missed something, you're going to have to make something up there to determine the corruption save DC for any scene with that demon.

Anyway - that's what I mean. Stuff is missing that should have been included.

Back