Invoking Spirits

Jose-san

Mongoose
Cults of Glorantha said:
To invoke any of his spirits he must throw his Gambling Sticks and make the correct gestures, represented by the usual game mechanics for invoking any kind of spirit (including, of course, expending Magic Points).

I don't find any invoking rules in the rulebook. Am I missing something?

Jose-san said:
I swear there is no such section in my rulebook. I guess it must be some fisrt edition legacy text.
The core book talks about the Shaman traveling in the spirit world to find spirits, or starting from a location that one is known to live.

If you want your spirit magicians to be able to call spirits, I'd add a Spirit Summoning skill to the other two spirit-related skills. I'd probably also limit distance that the spirits could be called in a similar way to Spirit Walking (skill % in km). I'd probably make the skill a compulsion for the spirit, which might get a resistance roll. I would think they would be unhappy to be summoned against their will.

An alternative worth considering is to add a Summon(entity) Common Magic spell, which could call a spirit to the mage.

Steve

For AoT where spirit walking is relatively rare, I allowed spirit binding to be used to summon spirits that belong to the shaman's tradition. You would still expect the shaman to do this at a a place that is either sacred or simply known to be haunted by the right sort of spirit.

Simulacrum said:
For AoT where spirit walking is relatively rare, I allowed spirit binding to be used to summon spirits that belong to the shaman's tradition. You would still expect the shaman to do this at a a place that is either sacred or simply known to be haunted by the right sort of spirit.
I would use Spirit Walking for this: I think it's what the core book envisions when it says "Shaman and High Shaman may travel the Spirit Plane to observe and locate other spirits." So if a Shaman is Spirit Walking in a place where the right kinds of spirit dwell, I'd expect a successful Spirit Walking skill roll to result in the right spirits being found.

I was thinking that a new Spirit Calling skill would be used when the Shaman is not in a typical place for the desired spirit type -- essentially it becomes the chance that they can put out a call and induce the spirit to travel to them.

Steve

In the RQII spirit rules perhaps, but not in my world set-up; Spirit Walking still allows you to travel the spirit plane and ultimately locate whatever type of spirit you are looking for. Very few people have this capability. Spirit Binding allows the Spirit worshipper to tap a "traditional spirit" - ie a type that he is already connected to via his specific tradition (cult). In AoT spirits frequently "manifest" in the material world, and a "Manifestation" trait is more common than a "Discorporate" ability. Ultimately I retained the Spirit Binding skill and term for what might also be referred to as a Spirit Invocation ability. The Adventurer might use his Cult Lore (Spirit Tradition) to know where to go in the material world to find a Traditional Spirit, and he would also use that to activate one that is under his control.

Back