Interceptors, am i getting this right

katadder

Mongoose
Ok interceptors, say yu have 3 dice they stop on 2s, then 3s, then 4s etc and any fail u drop the dice. now say i have 10 hits with one weapon and he stops the 1st 5, does my opponent then roll one dice for every hit remaining and stops them on 6s? thats the way it reads and thats how i been playing it.

katadder said:
Ok interceptors, say yu have 3 dice they stop on 2s, then 3s, then 4s etc and any fail u drop the dice. now say i have 10 hits with one weapon and he stops the 1st 5, does my opponent then roll one dice for every hit remaining and stops them on 6s? thats the way it reads and thats how i been playing it.

Yup, 1st hit on 2's, 2nd on 3's, etc, 5th hit on 6's and 6's from then on for all the hits, losing the dice that fail. When your last dice fails, remember, you always get that rolling one dice to block on a 6, unless you're crippled

LBH

Not against Beam or Mini-Beam weapons- or blast effects like E- mines or exploding ships, or JP bombs.
Actually, that's a thought; asteroid impacts. The AD a ship takes for failing it's CQ check to pass safely through asteroids, are they interceptable?

Exploding ships are specifically not interceptable in ACTA, asteroids hits as it stands CAN be intercepted. Remember its not just big asteroids that hit ships but little chunks as well (anything big enough that the ships defensidve weaponry has no chance of at least deflecting is pretty unlikely to hit the ship unless the captain is really stupid and trys to fly straight through one of the large asteroids in a cruiser.

Consider that even an asteroid a few feet across can inflict massive damage at the (relative) speed it would probably be traveling and yet a rock that size and speed isnt really any harder to intercept than an advanced anti shp torpedo or a rail gun slug traveling near the speed of light :p

In the tournament I´ve played last week, the Judge tell us, that Interceptors work a littlebit different.

If the Interceptors are "depleted" you roll the one dice and if it´s not a 6 all other hits from the Weaponsystem hit.
If other Weapon System hit´s you roll and if it not a 6 all hits from this Weapon System hit too.
And so on.

You can only roll again if you roll 6´s and if you roll 5 or lower all remaining hits from this Weapon System hit.

that judge had the rule wrong, I think. IIRC the example in the ActA rulebook makes it clear you get at least 1D6 to roll against each AD.

The example does not deal with intercepatble weapons hitting after the interceptors are depleted. That has always been the issue.

Ripple

O.K.

For short.

Does I get always minimun one Dice to intercept every AD ?
Or does I only get one Dice after the Interceptor is depleted and the Judge is right ?

Once interceptors a re depleted you get to roll 1d6 (looking for a 6 to block) for each additional hit still to be resolved. Interceptors refresh at the start of the next turn.

Of course when interceptors are destroyed when the ship ios crippled then this no longer applies.

LBH

Not sure if reading right on forum. So if you have 3 interceptors and an enemy ship hits you with 5 hit. You roll the 3 interceptors first. After that if any of them suceeded you roll again for the remaining hits or does only the intial interceptor roll only apply for that number?

Roll all 3 dice, target number 2, any that pass, roll again target number 3, any that pass roll again target number 4, any that pass roll again target number 5.

Once all have failed roll a d6 for each hit not rolled for, target number 6.

Hope that helps more.

Does I get always minimun one Dice to intercept every AD ?
Or does I only get one Dice after the Interceptor is depleted and the Judge is right ?

Once you've gone through the initial set of intercepors (roll all to get a 2 and block one hit, roll all remaining to get a 3 and block the second hit, etc;) you roll 1 die needing a 6 for any future hit no matter where it come from.

As an extreme example, pretend you have a Hermes with 1 Interceptor die that has the misfortune of running accross a Dilgar Mishakur at near point blank range. The Mishakur rolls the 36 AD from its forward weapons (minus the mass drivers) and each one hits for a total of 36 hits on the poor Hermes. At this point the Hermes rolls it's 1 interceptor die and comes up with a 1 meaning the intercepotrs have failed and the first hit will go through. For the remaining 35 hits, the Hermes will roll 1 die needing a 6 to block the shot. If by some miracle it rolls 6s for all the rest of the hits it will make it out of the firing phase with just that initial hit. If this ship is then fired upon by any other ship in this same round, it will need to roll 1 die needing a 6 for any of those hits. So if a second Mishakur opened up on the same Hermes and scored another 36 hits the hermes would roll 36 times needing a 6 each time to block the shot.

Should it survive that barrage, the Dilgar player should just pack up his ships and go home. The gods are obviously not with him this day... :wink:

I'm hoping to get a clarification here...

Which way do Interceptors work - using the following example:

EA Posideon takes an alpha strike from a Centauri Secundus (8 hits from the Heavy Array, 5 from the Twin Partical Array)...

a) EA rolls it's 6 Interceptor dice - every 2 rolled takes one hit away from the 13 hit 'pool' (say 5). Next, every 3 rolled takes away from the remaining 'pool' of 8, etc. If there's any hits in the pool once the the interceptors 'fail', the remaining hits get through. (Basically, the premise that each interceptor die can block 1 hit, like beamn weapons can score multiple hits.)

b) As 'a' above, only the HA and TPA are dealt with seperately. Interceptor dice are rolled for first set of hits - if there's any remaining, they carry over to the next attack. If the first set of hits cause the EA to lose all interceptor dice (can't roll any 6's), any hits not intercepted get through. The next weapon system to attack only faces 1 interceptor that needs a 6 - once it fails, the remining hits get through.

c) Same 13 hits - EA rolls 6 dice. As long as a 2 is rolled, one hit is blocked. Next roll, as long as a 3 is rolled, another hit is blocked. This continues until all interceptor dice are gone. Once dice are gone, the remaining hits are not stopped. Any other attack this turn, 1 die is rolled - once a 6 isn't rolled, all those attacks get trhough.

d) Same as 'c', but interceptors only tackle on weapon system at a time.

e) Sames as 'c', but once interceptors fail, each remaining hit gets a roll against 6.

f) Same as 'd', but once interceptors fail, each remaining hit gets a roll against 6.

Whew - a mouthful...

e is correct:

To use your example say the posseidon takes 11 hits:

First it rolls 6 dice gettting: 2,4,3,1,5,5 - at least one die rolled 2+ so the hit is stopped the one fails and is removed from the interceptor pool this turn.

It now rolls its 5 remaining dice: 3,4,2,2,6 at least one die rolled 3+ so this second hit is also stopped but the 2s fail and are reomved.

It now rolls 3 dice: 5,4,4 at least one rolls 4+ so the third hit is stopped. No dice failed this time.

It rolls 3 again: 6,5,4 at least one rolls 5+ so the fourth hit is stopped, the 4 fails though

It rolls 2 dice: 5, 2 neither dice make the 6+ needed so the 5th hit goes through.

For each of the remaining 6 hits and for every other hit suffered this turn the EA player gets one interceptor die now needing a 6 to stop the shot.

It should also be noted that you resolve fire from individual weapons batteries not whole ships. Interceptors MUST be used on weapons in the order they were fired (in the example you use for example, a sensible centauri player would fire his twin arrays first to soak up the interceptors leaving his double damage heavy arrays to hit the ship once its interceptors are down (fighters are also great for using up interceptors now they fire first :)

Back