Imperial Navy pilot gear?

Annatar Giftbringer

Emperor Mongoose
Greetings,
What would be a suitable flight suit for Imperial navy fighter and small craft pilots, especially in (potentially) hostile situations?

I’m thinking perhaps duty suit or perhaps even fill vacc suit (from the Imperial Navy book)? they both provide protection in case of disaster.

And on that note, what manner of emergency/survival gear can be expected?

A survival kit tucked in a pocket, perhaps a vacc emergency kit as well?

A backpack under the chair with field kit, tent, water and rations?

Or half a ship’s locker filled with survival stuff?

Some form of weapon, handgun or carbine perhaps, for self defense?

Just thinking about what might be available if a small craft gets shot down or for some reason needs to take part in an “unplanned ground mission” of some sort.

Heavy fighter and shuttle pilots likely wear a flight suit with limited vacuum survival, but a lot more flexible and comfortable than even an advanced space suit, endurance long enough to plug a hole, or get into more robust gear.

Light fighter pilots probably wear a spacesuit.

As regards to the survival pack, it might need to cater for most foreseeable environments that the pilot might get marooned into, and likely includes a carbine of some sort.

Heavy fighter and shuttle pilots likely wear a flight suit with limited vacuum survival, but a lot more flexible and comfortable than even an advanced space suit, endurance long enough to plug a hole, or get into more robust gear.

Light fighter pilots probably wear a spacesuit.

As regards to the survival pack, it might need to cater for most foreseeable environments that the pilot might get marooned into, and likely includes a carbine of some sort.
If a carbine would be included it would likely be an extremely light model, similar to this.

I don’t recall that the Traveller has something like this already, but it shouldn’t be hard to stay something similar.

1st edition CSC had some form of survival carbine, the latest batch of JTAS has a couple survival weapons as well, and since were potentially dealing with being stranded in high or low G, perhaps a snub carbine? A weapon that’s already in use by the navy, and suitable for deep space as well as planetary emergencies.

1. I doubt that the Navy supplement has anything about this specific issue, though you'd think by now I would have gone through more than a quarter of it.

2. Narrowing down the survival rifle is a little hard: it pretty much depends on whether you need it for hunting and/or defence, but what's for dinner and/or what's likely to threaten you.

Greetings,
What would be a suitable flight suit for Imperial navy fighter and small craft pilots, especially in (potentially) hostile situations?
You want to be able to survive vacuum, so a vacc suit is minimum.

I generally assume space combat craft personnel use something like combat armour. It's very cheap compared to trained personnel, and can save you when debris is tossed around. A fighter pilot might even use light battle dress, especially if he can derive a benefit from that, such as increased dexterity. Perhaps a Scout Suit with Enhanced Mobility? You need the radiation protection.

Toss in a low-recoil laser pistol to ward off animals and civilians. You're not going to win a shoot-out with actual soldiers...

The main supply you need is more air, then water, then perhaps some food. Your vacc suit/armour would include a limited med package that can administer stimulants as needed. You are more likely to be stranded in space than a hostile jungle.

All else failing a rescue ball might save you for a while, until S&R can find you.

Standard shipboard uniform would be something like a soft cloth coverall that can be used as an emergency vacc suit, TNE style. Some protection against blunt trauma, radiation, fire. Worn under your regular vacc suit/armour. Something like a Pressure Sleeve, but a bit heavier with a bit more protection?

Something like this?

Pilot Suit (Dex+15, Elec(sensor)+3), kCr ~650:
Imp Scout Battle Dress, Dex+6 (12 slots), kCr 300 (req. Vacc-1)
_ Computer/2, PRIS, Radio, Scope (TL14)
_ Enhanced Mobility, Dex+3, 1 slot, kCr 35
_ Enhanced Mobility, Dex+3, 2 slots, kCr 70
_ Enhanced Mobility, Dex+3, 4 slots, kCr 140 _ [edited]
_ Sensor Suite, Elec(sensor) +3, 2 slots, kCr 65
_ Fuel Cells (24 h), 2 slots, kCr 1
_ Integrated Wpn Mount (laser Pistol), 1 slot, kCr 3 (or Intgr Toolkit?)
_ Automedikit (TL 14), kCr 15
_ Extended Life Support, kCr 10
_ Extended Life Support (36 h), kCr 10
_ Psi Shield Helmet, kCr 4 [Domain of Deneb]
_ Gecko Pads, kCr 5
_ Self Sealing, kCr 2

Toss in an Adv Grav Assist to make it kCr 750 (rounded). Might allow you to land or dock in orbit.

Expensive vacc suit, but cheap compared to the training of the pilot, the fighter, and very cheap compared to the carrier delivering the fighter...

Naval Vacc Suit, kCr 100:
Sup HEV Suit, 10 kg, kCr 60 (req. Vacc-0)
_ Computer/3, PRIS, Radio, Scope (TL15)
_ Auto Helmet, kCr 10
_ Automedkit (TL14), kCr 15
_ Extended Life Support (18 h), kCr 10
_ Gecko Pads, kCr 5
_ Self Sealing, kCr 2

Uniform, kCr 1
Heavy Pressure Sleeve (Prot+4 [+4 vs. fire], Rad 40, Non-cum.)

Uniform, Officer, kCr 4:
_ Self Sealing, kCr 2
_ Smart Fabric, kCr 1

Last edited:
1. I think for the spacesuit, it's a question of how long the pilot is expected to be wearing it; also, the light fighter pilot is likely to find his ride more perforable than a heavy one.

2. Like I said, it's likely to be a carbine, for which ammunition supply is also a consideration; if the ammunition can't be used for both protection and hunting, than you have hybrids, for example light rifle plus shotgun, in separate barrels.

You want to be able to survive vacuum, so a vacc suit is minimum.

I generally assume space combat craft personnel use something like combat armour. It's very cheap compared to trained personnel, and can save you when debris is tossed around. A fighter pilot might even use light battle dress, especially if he can derive a benefit from that, such as increased dexterity. Perhaps a Scout Suit with Enhanced Mobility? You need the radiation protection.

Toss in a low-recoil laser pistol to ward off animals and civilians. You're not going to win a shoot-out with actual soldiers...

The main supply you need is more air, then water, then perhaps some food. Your vacc suit/armour would include a limited med package that can administer stimulants as needed. You are more likely to be stranded in space than a hostile jungle.

All else failing a rescue ball might save you for a while, until S&R can find you.

Standard shipboard uniform would be something like a soft cloth coverall that can be used as an emergency vacc suit, TNE style. Some protection against blunt trauma, radiation, fire. Worn under your regular vacc suit/armour. Something like a Pressure Sleeve, but a bit heavier with a bit more protection?

Something like this?

Pilot Suit (Dex+15, Elec(sensor)+3), kCr ~650:
Imp Scout Battle Dress, Dex+6 (12 slots), kCr 300 (req. Vacc-1)
_ Computer/2, PRIS, Radio, Scope (TL14)
_ Enhanced Mobility, Dex+3, 1 slot, kCr 35
_ Enhanced Mobility, Dex+3, 2 slots, kCr 70
_ Enhanced Mobility, Dex+3, 4 slots, kCr 140 _ [edited]
_ Sensor Suite, Elec(sensor) +3, 2 slots, kCr 65
_ Fuel Cells (24 h), 2 slots, kCr 1
_ Integrated Wpn Mount (laser Pistol), 1 slot, kCr 3 (or Intgr Toolkit?)
_ Automedikit (TL 14), kCr 15
_ Extended Life Support, kCr 10
_ Extended Life Support (36 h), kCr 10
_ Gecko Pads, kCr 5
_ Self Sealing, kCr 2

Toss in an Adv Grav Assist to make it kCr 750 (rounded). Might allow you to land or dock in orbit.

Expensive vacc suit, but cheap compared to the training of the pilot, the fighter, and very cheap compared to the carrier delivering the fighter...

Naval Vacc Suit, kCr 100:
Sup HEV Suit, 10 kg, kCr 60 (req. Vacc-0)
_ Computer/3, PRIS, Radio, Scope (TL15)
_ Auto Helmet, kCr 10
_ Automedkit (TL14), kCr 15
_ Extended Life Support (18 h), kCr 10
_ Gecko Pads, kCr 5
_ Self Sealing, kCr 2

Uniform, kCr 1

Uniform, Officer, kCr 4:
_ Self Sealing, kCr 2
_ Smart Fabric, kCr 1

Battledress is an interesting idea! Imperial Navy does feature an engineering battledress that I suppose could work for pilots as well.

The uniform and vacc suit you propose have equivalents in the Imperial Navy book.

The duty suit is a lightly armored work uniform with vacc suit functionality, not unlike the Scout field dress. Has a small internal oxygen supply, can be equipped with sturdier helmet and external oxygen.

The Naval vacc suit is a TL14 vacc suit.

Both of these can be equipped with body protectors that increase their armor value.

I like your suggested vac lo suit options! They make sense, and I have thought about making auto-helmet standard for navy personnel in my campaigns.

Battledress is an interesting idea! Imperial Navy does feature an engineering battledress that I suppose could work for pilots as well.
At a guess the Engineering BD is a strength oriented damage-control suit. Pilots (&Gunners) would need a lighter dex oriented suit.

The uniform and vacc suit you propose have equivalents in the Imperial Navy book.
Great minds think alike? It's not a new concept, I've been using Combat Armour as the standard naval vacc suit since CT.

Both of these can be equipped with body protectors that increase their armor value.

I like your suggested vac lo suit options! They make sense, and I have thought about making auto-helmet standard for navy personnel in my campaigns.
They are utility and survival suits, not body armour.

The engineering suit is actually quite similar to scout BD, with builtin engineering sensors and -tools rather than an integral grav belt.

While duty and vacc suit is intended for utility and survival, additional protection could help the pilots survive as their craft takes damage? Or leave the body protector off, for a lighter suit and freedom of movement.

The engineering suit is actually quite similar to scout BD, with builtin engineering sensors and -tools rather than an integral grav belt.
OK, I should not assume so much...
That sounds usable.

While duty and vacc suit is intended for utility and survival, additional protection could help the pilots survive as their craft takes damage? Or leave the body protector off, for a lighter suit and freedom of movement.
It could stop a point or two of spacecraft damage, certainly important for armoured fighters.
There are no rules for it, but I would assume (sigh...) it could save the crew if the craft takes damage and debris flies around.

What you want is enough protection to minimize or prevent damage from spalling.

If the fusion bottle goes, it probably doesn't matter.

Don't forget one hundred dollars in rubles and one hundred dollars in gold.
"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.
Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

It would most likely be a standard vaccine suit. Pilots and aircrew today like to be comfortable as possible for long flights, and space pilots should be no different.

The cost of equipping every pilot with battle dress like suits would be a lot. And probably overkill. You want to give the survival chances not make them light infantry. A light weapon designed for self protection (a laser pistol or some similar light weapon), along with basic survival gear, food and shelter. Assuming their chair/seat doubles as a reentry vehicle and has extra power/air in case they have to abandon their craft, you could have another small bag of survival gear on a tether or something that would go with the seat. Pilot could grab it and secure it on their lap for reentry on a planet.

A shelter, food, water purification system, rescue beacon, basic medical kit, etc. Might be customized for their AOE (like Zho based units could have a mental shield included, Vargr may have treats, Aslan would have laser pointers, etc).

Since this is specific to the Imperium Navy, let's use their recent book.

1. Technological level fourteen Naval Vacuum Suit, protection factor twelve, radiation/hundred, six kilogrammes, twenty five kilostarbux; needs Vacuum Suit/zero.

2. Advanced Combat Carbine, with a three hundred fifty metre range and weighing in at two and a halvish kilogrammes.

Back