impaling weapons

AlphaStrike

Mongoose
When a weapon becomes impaled as a result of a critical hit, can the attackers attempt to pull it out 'for free' or must he wait until his next action?

Rules suggest that you need to make a succesful Athletics check (aka brute force check) in order to yank the impaling weapon free. Because almost all skills need at least 1 combat action to perform.

In my opinion, you need to wait till your next combat action.

I disagree , deal with it as the rules, you would pull it out as soon as it has gone in. Your ruling nerfs impaling weapons which suffer from low AP's anyway.

zanshin said:
I disagree , deal with it as the rules, you would pull it out as soon as it has gone in. Your ruling nerfs impaling weapons which suffer from low AP's anyway.

I understood same way:

Attacker can remove impaling weapon immediately, it he wants to, no CA cost.
But impale's victim must use next CA to remove it if attacker didn't

Yes, it is better that way. I just thought that it would take another CA because the athletics check. But i like it that way too that you can yank it out immediately

One unanswered question is what happens if the yank fails?

Does the attacker still have hold of the impaling weapon or does he lose hold of it?

If he maintains hold he does the d4 damage and can yank again. If he loses hold he will have to try to grab the impaled weapon if he wants to attmpt to yank again.

I would say that the hold remains, He just yanks it and dont get it out dealing d4 points of damage. Next CA he can try again.

I think the rules as written imply you can yank the weapon out as part of the same action. So effectively impaling weapons can still do double damage in one CA.

If the ath's check failed, yup, you do 1D4 damage from jiggling the weapon and you keep hold of the weapon if you want.

I'd allow people to simply also spend a CA to "jiggle" and twist the impaling weapon. A nice brutal way to torture a foe to death, increments of 1D4. Generally, most people wouldn't do this in mass combats as it'd be better to have your weapon free to parry and attack, and an impaling hit would probably down most normals foes.

There would be reasons to keep an opponent impaled. Say keeping a beast or Uz at reach with a boar spear, or keeping them crippled by pain, or preventing a healing spell closing the wound.

Impales rock.

DD

Yeah, it is often better to NOT pull the weapon out and just keep doing 1d4 to the same location (unless of course you need your weapon).

I considered a second skill check to keep hold of the weapon after a failed yank, but that seems like it might be a bit too much rolling to resolve the yank.

If it is stuck enough you can't get it out, odds are it's stuck enough that you're not doing significant damage until it comes loose.

Back