Ideas for shotguns?

From the Traveller Book (pdf version, pg 43)

Group Hits By Shotguns: Each shot by a shotgun may attack up to three individuals adjacent to the original target, provided they are in a group (herd, pack, band, etc.) and are each human-sized or smaller. In addition, when firing against flying targets (winged animals, flying vehicles) within range, a DM of +2 is allowed.

In those rules, weapons have individual range DMs, rather than varying distances for common range DMs (auto rifle for comparison):
Shotgun: Close -8 Short +1 Medium +3 Long -6 VLong no
Auto Rifle: Close -8 Short +0 Medium +2 Long +1 VLong -2

In MgT 2e, merely ignoring the Dodge DM does feel a bit anemic, while double Protection vs the ammo that gives the gun its name seems overly harsh.

So maybe something like:
Short (12.5 m): DM+2 to damage, Dodge is effective, Protection as rated
Effective (50 m): attacks adjacent targets within 3 m, Dodge not effective, Protection as rated
Long (100 m): attacks adjacent targets within 6 m, Dodge not effective, Protection doubled
Bulky (for recoil effects)

Pretty fiddly and doesn’t address slug ammo. I don’t have the field catalog so just spitballing here.

This is a fun thought experiment.

I think you may be giving the spread effect of a shotgun more credit than it's worth.
where_spread1.gif
Also, don't forget that RAW shotguns double armor protection.
shotgun.JPG

So where do I see the benefit of using shotguns? Close quarter combat where lines of sight are limited. In CT, shotguns along with snub-pistols and cutlasses were the preferred weapons when engaged in combat on a ship. While shotguns fared poorly in a zero-g environment, their lack of armor penetration would "likely" not cause too much damage to ship systems.

If the desire is to lay down fire to attack multiple opponents, then weapons with the AUTO special is the right tool for the job.

I think you may be giving the spread effect of a shotgun more credit than it's worth.
Fair enough. I am by no means a weapons expert. I was merely trying to address the OP’s initial swipe at some new game mechanics, while trying to fold in some of knowledge dropped by others in the thread. As far as the ranges I listed, that’s what the RAW would give the standard shotgun as Short, effective and Long range.

Thank you for the diagram, quite helpful (y)

Also, don't forget that RAW shotguns double armor protection.
Yes, my spitballing was again just an attempt to address the OP. Trying out something different so as to spark some discussion.

I still feel double Protection is a bit too much but haven’t changed the rule in my game.

My group was pushing for a conversion of the double mag selectable ammo shotgun before we'd even started playing and before they knew the rules for shotguns. Different ammo for different situations.

I suppose it’s the realism versus immersion question. My group has always leaned towards immersion and sleeker gameplay rather than an accurate representation. But Traveller is good at making you look at things and go “Hmmm… I wonder…”

I suspect that we want to use shotguns, because we see that they are effective weapons currently.

My feeling is that for close quarters home, or spacecraft, defence, that the snub pistol takes over.

As a sort of lotech general purpose firearm.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but my question is about ammo and shotguns :)

Description of shotgun in CSC:

Shotguns are smoothbore weapons that typically fire ammunition containing multiple small pellets. They are most effective at short range. A shotgun using pellet ammunition ignores Dodge dice modifiers, but Armour gives double protection against pellet attacks.

Special AP ammo that can be used with shotguns adds AP to shotgun.

Does this special AP ammo remove double protection against pellet attacks rule?

I’d say yes, since double protection and no dodge are pellet-related special rules.

Imagine pellets as a type of special ammo, but since it’s only used in shotguns and it’s their default ammo type it doesn’t have an entry of it’s own

I would think for current shotgun technology, armour piercing would require a solid slug, not pellets.

Armour piercing pellets would likely require extreme velocity and tungsten.

Gauge times gauss.

It's adjustable, and probably more efficient use of propulsive energy, which does backlash in the form of recoil, apparently, even for gauss weapon systems.

I think it could be done, but:

1. I think the amount of powder involved moves beyond very bulky

2. The shotgun will probably blow up.

I would think for current shotgun technology, armour piercing would require a solid slug, not pellets.
Perhaps instead of three or four dozen pellets the round is a dozen or so small penetrators. Provides AP and negates double Protection but allows for Dodge to work.

I still think double Protection is a bit much but as no one in my game is using a shotgun right now we haven't looked at it too closely.

Mercenary’s weapon design process allows for Gauss shotguns, and includes an example weapon.

I’ll dig it up later today, don’t remember the exact rules

Gauss Shotguns hold the same amount of projectiles as an equivalent gauss weapon, but they are packed into bundles of 16-24 depending on the weapon type. Ammunition capacity is effectively reduced by 75%. Gauss shotguns use small gauss ammunition but deliver +2 damage per dice; typically this is 3D+6.

Gauss Shotguns hold the same amount of projectiles as an equivalent gauss weapon, but they are packed into bundles of 16-24 depending on the weapon type. Ammunition capacity is effectively reduced by 75%. Gauss shotguns use small gauss ammunition but deliver +2 damage per dice; typically this is 3D+6.

Ah yes, thanks for posting!
So yeah, gauss shotguns keep their AP rating, and no mention of double armor either.

Back