Ideas for Brotherhood Spellcasting?

Methos

Mongoose
hi guys

i loved the fact, that the brotherhood (in d20) needs end to cast spells

now it is wp,
are there any good ideas (houserules) to change this fact?

like: ignore wp for the brotherhood and change alle wp costs 1:1 or 2:1 into end

funny thing is that in the description of the dessi mage it is said, that a dessi mage cant kill himself while casting on the other hand a brotherhood mage can

ty guys

What is wrong with using WP? If you switch it to EP, the casters would need more EP to compensate (to keep their casting duration roughly the same) - and larger EP scores would turn it into a tank, which is exactly what a caster is NOT suppose to be.

Generally 1EP=1WP, based on Grey Star, etc.

I sort of prefer EP - after all what's a Kai's Willpower and when do they get it? 10-19 at Rank 10/Master I'd say.

Anyway, here's my house rules for the Gamebooks.
Basically Vakeros 'Battle' Magic is based on CS and Brotherhood Wizard Spells on EP - e.g. Lightning Hand "CS" is your current EP, very powerful to an uninjured character! Remeber Banedon's words when he meets Lone Wolf at Raumas. It seems my ideas were on the right track seeing what Mongoose printed in Heroes.

Attack Spell:[Round Zero Offensive Action]
Invisible Fist/Power Word [MM] Treat as Non-Edged Thrown Weapon attack. -0EP to cast.
Lightning Hand [KA] Treat as an Edged Thrown Weapon attack but compare your current EP (not including Armour) instead of CS for Combat Ratio. -3EP to cast.
Net [KA] Treat as Non-Edged Thrown Weapon Subdue Stun attack but compare your current EP (not including Armour) instead of CS for Combat Ratio. No effect on Doors, Fire-Emitting and Non-Corporeal foes. -0EP to cast.
Hold Enemy [MM GT] Make a Disarm test without weapon/armour modifiers, if successful enemy may only parry for the same number of round as the <Random Number> picked. -0EP to cast.
Defensive Spell:[Round Zero Passive Action]
Elementalism Air - Buffeting Winds -1EP Damage received each round -2EP.
Elementalism Earth - Kazim Skin, +2CS. 2EP to cast.
Elementalism Fire - Firebolt, as Kai Battle Crystal. -2EP to cast.
Elementalism Water - Ice Blade, creates a fragile normal Weapon from thin air, destroyed if your enemy inflicts more damage than you. +1EP damage to Fire-emitting enemies. -2EP to cast.
Elementalism - Summon Sprite. An Elemental Ally who will not attack but will retaliate if you are attacked; in Melee every time an enemy wounds you they take -1EP damage, includes foes immune to normal weapons only if you are able to harm them. -1EP to cast.
Invisible Shield [KA]/Shield [MM] Creates a Shield +2CS (suitable for GM). -2EP to cast.
Mend [KA] +5EP or repairs one non magical item, must be cast in water. -0EP to cast.
Vigour [KA] +3CS for one combat, may not be used if EP below 10. -3EP to cast.
Energy Grasp [MM SL] +1EP damage inflicted when fighting Unarmed.
Strength [KA SK] +2CS +2EP when fighting Unarmed, (+3CS +3EP Wizard, +5CS +5EP Sorcerer) -0EP to cast.
Flameshaft [MM KGG] Arrow does +1EP damage (+50% Sorcerer). -0EP to cast.
Penetrate [MM SL] +1CS (+2CS Sorcerer) to one Arrow, may be cast with Flameshaft. -0EP to cast.

More (including explanations) here

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42027&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Banedon in Magnamund Companion Spells:
Lightning Hand -3EP
Invisible Shield -2EP
Vigour +3CS, -3EP (Cannot cast if EP less than 10)
Counterspell -2EP
Levitation -2EP
Mind Charm, Net, Sense Evil, Mend & Silence free - Mend requires fresh running water.

Zager Krahl said:
What is wrong with using WP? If you switch it to EP, the casters would need more EP to compensate (to keep their casting duration roughly the same) - and larger EP scores would turn it into a tank, which is exactly what a caster is NOT suppose to be.

Agree with this.

Personally I think every class should have a Willpower attribute. Some of the Kai lord/Magnakai/etc disciplines should use such a stat, rather than EP, as well as the disciplines of other classes.

Fair enough, it would help with Psi-Surge costing -2EP per round for only +4CS, Mindblast is +2CS so it is only a difference of one column on the CR Table - unless a foe s immune. Yes using WP instead of EP for psionics would be good. In the books I was always reluctant to use Psi-Surge until Archmaster (+6CS, -1EP Rnd).

Saves arguments about Armour EP and spell use.

(In my above post Brotherhood Spells "CS" would be current Willpower)

Gamebooks. Hmm...
1 WP per Rank for non-spellcasters. (Kai Initiate = 5WP, Kai Master Superior 13WP, Kai Supreme Master 35WP).
So Healing could Heal EP only, Curing could Heal EP or WP, still Max 10 in total.

(Spellcasters +1WP each Rank over 10?)

SnowShadow said:
1 WP per Rank for non-spellcasters. (Kai Initiate = 5WP, Kai Master Superior 13WP, Kai Supreme Master 35WP).
So Healing could Heal EP only, Curing could Heal EP or WP, still Max 10 in total.

(Spellcasters +1WP each Rank over 10?)

Just a thought but why not just go with a calculated amount like CS and EP is derived?

I'm going with a WP calculation of:

RN + 5 for martial classes (eg, knights) as they will hardly use WP as a battery to power their disciplines.

and...

RN + 10 for balanced classes (eg, Kai Lords) as they do have some disciplines that will be powered by WP.

Then you can apply an increase to this attribute in the same way that increases get applied to CS and EP attributes - just like they do in the gamebooks where they allow starting chracters to generate a higher CS and EP for grandmaster adventures. Mind you, I am assuming that this is how Mongoose will be increasing EP and CS at higher tiers. Could be wrong!

Er. That's what I did put. Maybe it wasn't clear. For multiplayer had RN+10 for Kai Lords and for the Gamebooks House Rules had 1WP per rank - that's if you want Kai Alchemy using Willpower but the idea of WP increases equal to EP at higher levels is nice and simple.

SnowShadow said:
Er. That's what I did put. Maybe it wasn't clear. For multiplayer had RN+10 for Kai Lords and for the Gamebooks House Rules had 1WP per rank - that's if you want Kai Alchemy using Willpower but the idea of WP increases equal to EP at higher levels is nice and simple.

Erm, not how I read it. I read it as you were stating a WP amount that increases as rank increases. I was stating an amount generated in a similar way that CS and EP are derived (ie, a random number plus a fixed amount). Then when reaching a new tier there would be an additional one-off bonus to the attribute (assuming CS and EP are also increased in this way).

What I've described is different to what you described; a +1 bonus per rank increase is not the same as my option as, for example, a rank 5 Kai Lord would start with 5 WP your way whereas mine could range between 10 and 19 WP with no per rank increase.

Hope that clarifies.

Apologies for any confusion, talking about two different systems.

Multiplayer Kai Lord Willpower 10+ Random Number Willpower, also used for Gamebooks using normal stat determination (i.e. Random Number CS/EP).
Gamebooks Willpower using my system where rank determines CS/EP* = 1WP per Kai Rank - used for Psi-Surge and Spells or substituted for Discipline EP cost - Deliverance, etc. So If you start the Kingdoms of Terror with Psi-Surge a Kai Master Superior has 13 WP, enough for 6 rounds use of Psi-Surge.

Does that make more sense?

*Initiate CS 14 EP 24 WP 5, Aspirant CS 15 EP 25 WP 6, etc. 9CS/19EP +1CS/+1EP per Kai Discpline, Magnakai CS/EP from Lore Circles as normal, physical transition from Grand Master to Grand Master Senior -11EP, +1CS/+1EP per Advaced Kai Discipline not Magical Skill (e.g. Grand Nexus and Deliverance but not Magi Magic or Herbmastery), +1CS +2EP Experience bonus for completing Gamebooks as normal. This allows you to max out Lone Wolf for the Gamebooks by earning CS/EP rather than fudging rolls of 9.

Hmm, might give a WP bonus with GM magical skills and +1CS/+2EP for completing books.

Alternatively a system like Terror of the Darklords...
Add CS to EP and take this figure from 67 to give WP. Why 67? Well it is CS19 + EP29 + WP19, die roll maximum.

Well concerning Kai Lords and Willpower... Kai Lords have amazing healing skills. Don't really see the -2 Endurance from Psi-Surge as a major hindrance.

Smiling Fox said:
Well concerning Kai Lords and Willpower... Kai Lords have amazing healing skills. Don't really see the -2 Endurance from Psi-Surge as a major hindrance.

Ah. There's been a lot of talk on the boards about limiting that to 10 per Gamebook - otherwise people don't bother with Hunting, for example, as three sectios later in the book the hunger is 'healed' which isn't realistic.

Plus after fighting the Chaos Master in Bk 11 you get to engage Shadow Reavers in Psychic Combat whilst alrady weakened - Psi-Surge cannot be used below, I think, 6EP (offhand) and Shadow Reavers are immune to Mindblast (I think) in Psychic Combat - so how do you fight them psychically with say 3EP?

If Healing has no limit, you are right.

Back