[i]Jeremiah[/i] Errata

A

Anonymous

I hate to bring up a sore point, but does it disappoint you (the publishers) that, after so loudly proclaiming that you've improved the editing and error-elimination process in your books you have a 6 page PDF only weeks after releasing Jeremiah?

I vowed that I'd give Mongoose 1 more chance (after all the editing gaffes and grammatical blunders from previous books and the huge mistake that was Conan 1st edition). Jeremiah was that chance. Lo and behold, six pages of errata.

I just don't know what to do....you have great licenses and books that I'd be interested in buying, but really BAD editing. Sure, no-one's perfect; and it's great that we have the internet to get the errata; but isn't it better to produce a good product the first time through?

I'd just like to hear from the publishers how they feel about this.

I myself found it disappointing that there were so many errors in the most important part of the book, character creation. There does seem to be some big inconsistancies in some important combat rules section also, as posed by another thread asking for clarification (which i might add hasn't appeared yet).

Having said that, I love the Jeremiah RPG and I love Mongoose. My local game shop owner siad i should own some stock in Mongoose when i went in to pick up my Jeremiah books. I own all Conan products (including 1st edition, not Atlantean), all Bablyon 5 and a smattering of other products such as Cybernet, and Lone Wolf core. Mongoose puts out great stuff and I hope you keep it up, especially by releasing more Jeremiah products. Jeremiah is a series that will get popular with time...please keep supporting it, it will pay off in the end.

FuryMaster

Jeremiah was a slightly unusual book in that the majority of work was done out of house, with no input or monitoring on our part (for various reasons). This made it more difficult for us to work with than other books. No great excuse, but there it is.

On the other hand, consider the alternative - would you rather we were not on the ball and had not produced an errata? :)

Thanks for the comments Matt. I ran my first Jeremiah game tonight and it went awsomely, the players loved it. In fact one of my players who is a GM on another night is going to run it on that night and im going to get to play in it..Woot...In fact he said he was going out to order the book tomorrow. I hope all Scifi fans get to see the wonderful series Jeremiah and after they do they can buy the RPG. The characters, the economy, and the combat system work so well. All of my players, all long time gamers of many systems, just loved everything about this game.

Matt, could you tell us why things were done out of house and does this effect what future products you can or will do. Is the author, Scott Agnew, the same guy from WoTC.

I know gramatical errors really annoy people, but as a GM I really care more about the ideas and systems. Sure, i don't like to see sloppyness but I would rather have all of the cool products that Mongoose puts out that I would like lesser numbers of creative products. Personally the biggest error that disturbed me the most in a Mongoose product was the Shadizar map and Mongoose is dealing with that. Mongoose is a top company in my book ( i think i'll check into those stocks now, are they available yet:)

FuryMaster

msprange said:
Jeremiah was a slightly unusual book in that the majority of work was done out of house, with no input or monitoring on our part (for various reasons). This made it more difficult for us to work with than other books. No great excuse, but there it is.

On the other hand, consider the alternative - would you rather we were not on the ball and had not produced an errata? :)
(from the original thread creator) Thanks for the explaination...and yes, I'm glad Mongoose is on the ball!

To be fair, I'll have to base my decision on a different book (or series) then. I can't give a fair shake to Mongoose if you didn't "do" the book yourselves.

So when are you going to get a (Joss Whedon's) Firefly or (HBO's) Carnivale license? :D (please hurry, LOL)

margaret weis, of dragonlance fame, is doing the Serenity RPG. it should be out this summer.

the big question is will they have Firefly stuff since Fox sits on it and seems to hate scifi and role playing games (aside form star wars... way to pick a winner, Fox).

i am gonna play it. i love that show and will see the movie this october, like, a bajillion times.

browncoat ray
8)

ray53208 said:
margaret weis, of dragonlance fame, is doing the Serenity RPG. it should be out this summer.

the big question is will they have Firefly stuff since Fox sits on it and seems to hate scifi and role playing games (aside form star wars... way to pick a winner, Fox).

Sadly, no. The rights to Serenity and Firefly have been split up, and the game will not be able to contain any characters, locales, or concepts from the television series. It's the RPG of the movie only.

My guess is that this will extend to even the images and quotes they can use. I'm torn about this, as any Firefly/Serenity RPG without Saffron.... is it worth buying?

Jason Durall said:
ray53208 said:

Sadly, no. The rights to Serenity and Firefly have been split up, and the game will not be able to contain any characters, locales, or concepts from the television series. It's the RPG of the movie only.

My guess is that this will extend to even the images and quotes they can use. I'm torn about this, as any Firefly/Serenity RPG without Saffron.... is it worth buying?

now my hate for fox is complete.

ive got an invader zim sized hate for them.

i hate them SO MUCH! SO MUCH!!

ray
8)

My hatred for Fox runs further into the past. I have grown to accept that they cancelled SPace: AAB, but why oh why have they not released it on DVD!!!!

LBH

im writing it. and ill use it if they make me.

ive had it up to here... well you cant see, but its way past my eye brows... with waitin' and a-hopin' for a firefly game to come down the pike. and "go zhuh" fox cant stop me.

its getting made by me. for just me and a few friends to use. im not gonna sell it or even publish it. mostly because im not sure about the legality of putting it up freely on my web page. you know, for bragging rights.

but im gonna play in my favorite 'verse and they cant take the sky from me. im gonna make up a game mechanic and system. im gonna scrutinize every frame of the show for material. im gonna freeze frame a lot on inara... ahem... i... er... well, nevermind about that. ill be in my bunk.

sorry, many many apologies for going off-topic.

ray had to vent/brag
8)

Back