Hyrkanian Archery Question

A

Anonymous

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I searched the forum and could not find a specific answer.

The Hyrkanian Circumstance bonus to bow attacks at range: Does the bonus offset the range increment penalties, or does it replace them?

In other words, my Hyrkanian archer is attacking someone 6 increments away. He does not have Far Shot. Is his modifier +1 to attack, or -9?

Thanks in advance-this will determine what kind of PC my wife makes for the game I am starting tonight (Woo-hoo!)

-The Other Steve

It offsets the range increment penalties, the text gives a +1 circumstance bonus but doesn't speak about replacing the normal ranged attack penalties (and if it doesn't say that explicitly you are in the normal situation where the bonus and the penalties stack together).

Hope the game goes well!

Cheers

The Official FAQ said:
Are Hyrkanian archers really better at longer ranges?

• Yes, as the text says they are better at long range shots than short range shots.
I really don't see this answering your question, but that's what the FAQ has to say on the subject. :p

TTFN,

Yokiboy

I really don't see this answering your question, but that's what the FAQ has to say on the subject.

Yoki,

Yeah, I had seen this, but the FAQ didn't say how much better they were.

The point about the bonuses/penalties stacking is pretty much what I thought, and how I had presented it, but I figured I would ask anyway to keep the peace with my wife.

So, I guess she will go for the Zingaran Pirate. Thanks, people! :)

In my campaign, we talked about making this +1 bonus per range increment... so at long ranges Hyrkanians would only be at -1 per extra range increment instead of the standard -2. Seems to make the ability a little better.

Thats a good call Yuan-Ti, think I'll rule that way myself. Thanks.

Back