Hyboria's Finest: Impressions

Damien

Mongoose
Yeah, I know that I'm way behind the times.

So I -finally- got Hyboria's Finest (as well as Green Ronin's Noble's Handbook, not a bad compliment, actually) from FRP Games. First I want to say that I am in love with FRP Games. They take PayPal with no problem and I got my stuff within 5 business days of it being shipped (International shipping, too!). I can't even get companies like Amazon or IM to do that.

Anyway. . . the book:

Friggin' Fantastic. Keeping in mind that this is the first Hyboria's XYZ book to grace my bookshelf, the layout and information was top notch.

It was extremely gratifying that the first 48 pages was solid flavour-text without needless crunchy bits. And it was fun to read. At the risk of seeming sycophantic, Vincent has this relaxed but informative style of writing that's incredibly easy and enjoyable to read.

And of course the X's Secrets chapters were excellent. I'm really digging the new features like the new Noble social abilities, new advanced spells, and the awesome new combat manoeuvres. The feats all seem really decent as well. Some of them really stood out and others were sort of 'bleh' - but I think that's the case with all feat compilations.

And arguably the best part: The multiclass combinations were awesome. Really, I would have liked to see one or two more variant options for some of the ideas, but they were still excellent. But I think some of the ideas really could benefit for a few more variants to make them either more enticing or more true to the concept in some way or another. (And yes, I'm fully aware that I can add more variant options as the DM.)

Awesome product all around and -once again- a Conan product earns its place on my esteemed 'favourite gaming books' shelf. (Which is proverbial, as all of my gaming books are actually arranged together by system, setting, and book function.)

To be extremely picky, there's only one thing about this book that I didn't like, and that was the constant allusion to other books. Every time you turn the page, practically, there's another "See book X for more details" or "See Feat X from Book Y."
It's not a big problem or anything, but it did get mildly annoying after awhile.

Haven't met a Mongoose product I didn't like yet

I have. But not in the Conan line!

If you liked that, you'll love Hyboria's Fiercest.

That's on my list right after Scrolls of Skelos (which I ordered a day ago!), but really the 'civilized' ones are more my style. And yes, I realize the irony in that, considering the concept of Hyboria.

Back