Hyboria Map/Wallpaper

thulsa

Mongoose
Hi,

there's a variant of the Map of Hyboria available for download as a wallpaper at Dark Horse's site:

http://www.darkhorse.com/downloads.php?did=465

Rather nice, although perhaps the color should have been a bit more yellow/brown than the green they've used. Easily fixed in PhotoShop, though...

- thulsa

I don't really like it, but thanks anyway. Oh, and there is a "Hyperboria" on the map. Boria?

Padre said:
I don't really like it, but thanks anyway. Oh, and there is a "Hyperboria" on the map. Boria?

Hey Padre,

Shame the map doesn't work for you...but each to their own.

As for Hyperborea - yep it exists. Known as a tall, cruel people,
they number amongst them the Witchmen of the White Hand,
& have the Skull Gate as a 'geographical' feature.

I know what 'Hyperborea' is :D But on the map it's called 'Hyperboria'. Yes, it's a detail, but I wonder if it is a mistake or are both names proper.

Not a big fan of this map either. If you search this Forum there are some really good maps available from links - I remember Chrysaygon(sp?) had a really good one.

Padre - I understood what your were trying to say about Hyperboreans :D

Thanks very much Vince. I noticed when clicking the original download link on thulsa's site that the link was bad:

Not Found
The requested URL /conan/Chrysagon_Hyboria_Complete.jpg was not found on this server.
which I clicked from the following:
:World Maps for Giant Full-Color Hyboria Map. The link "here" in the description for this link. gave the Not Found error when I clicked it, fyi.

Padre said:
I know what 'Hyperborea' is :D But on the map it's called 'Hyperboria'. Yes, it's a detail, but I wonder if it is a mistake or are both names proper.
No, it should definitely be Hyberborea. It's from the Greek, meaning "beyond the north wind (Boreas)".

Some confusion with Hyboria, methinks. (I used to get confused the other way and misspell Hyboria as Hyborea!)

You could fix it in Photoshop, I guess!

Ciao,
Ant

Ant said:
Padre said:
No, it should definitely be Hyberborea. It's from the Greek, meaning "beyond the north wind (Boreas)".

Some confusion with Hyboria, methinks. (I used to get confused the other way and misspell Hyboria as Hyborea!)

You could fix it in Photoshop, I guess!

Ciao,
Ant

Some brown nose comments: The suffix in question is in the ancient Greek language -eia, which was pronounced depending on region and age like the German -ia (English -eea, not as in Mariah) or -ea (the e as in "sending"). From this perspective both versions are right. But REH used IIRc the -ea alternative.

But as said before: brown nose comments.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only obsessive-compulsive Linguist on this forum! :D (The more we bicker about language issues the more we become Dr. Tolkien and less Mr. Howard.)

René said:

Some brown nose comments: The suffix in question is in the ancient Greek language -eia, which was pronounced depending on region and age like the German -ia (English -eea, not as in Mariah) or -ea (the e as in "sending"). From this perspective both versions are right. But REH used IIRc the -ea alternative.

But as said before: brown nose comments.
OK, you can be more pedantic than I! But, absolutely, REH, writing in English, used the normal English spelling, ending -ea.

OT: Since you mentioned Mariah, did you know that, in English, Maria used to be pronounced Mariah (
mariah.gif
)? As in "They Call the Wind Maria" (from Paint Your Wagon) and "Black Maria" (a prison van). The "modern" pronunciation,
maria.gif
, was popularized by West Side Story: "Maria! I've just met a girl called Maria!"

Cordialement,
Ant

Ant said:
OT: Since you mentioned Mariah, did you know that, in English, Maria used to be pronounced Mariah (
mariah.gif
)? As in "They Call the Wind Maria" (from Paint Your Wagon) and "Black Maria" (a prison van). The "modern" pronunciation,
maria.gif
, was popularized by West Side Story: "Maria! I've just met a girl called Maria!"

Cordialement,
Ant

It seems to be the week of etymological treasures: a prison van has in Germany the nickname "Grüne Minna" (green Minna), which is derived from the colour of the police (green) and a once popular girl name "Wihelmine". The last German Kaiser was called Wilhelm II., so probably the nickname dates from pre-WW I times. Do you know about the origins of Black Maria?

Back