Hull point repair cost

JustEastOfTheEdge

Cosmic Mongoose
I have seen a few threads along similar lines here but can't get an answer to this:

Core Rules 2022 p.159 mentions 2 types of damage and goes on to talk about repairing critical hits.

It feels like there is a missing table to explain about Hull Point damage repair.

Any ideas?
Cheers

Ideas, yes, good answers...

Old book p. 150:
Hull Damage: Each lost Hull point can be replaced with a Routine (6+) Mechanic check (1 hour, INT or EDU), consuming one ton of spare parts for every 10 Hull points repaired.
New Book, p. 159:
Hull Damage: Each lost Hull point can be replaced with a Routine (6+) Mechanic check (1 hour, INT or EDU), consuming one ton of spare parts.

Now... I did get to review the update prior to its release, and at least on the draft I received, neither of those things where there, and I left the comment, "Hull damage fell off…".

Clearly it was fixed, but it may have been fixed by not completely restoring the old text. I would like to believe that the hull damage sentence is still intended to end with "for every 10 Hull points repaired." Especially since one ton of brand new starship costs only Cr50000 and a ton of spare parts costs twice that amount, and critical damage repairs cost a small percentage of the cost of the component (drives, weapons, etc).

So officially, it's Cr100000 per ton of hull damage to fix it. Unofficially, see Traveller Rule Zero (p. 4).

Cheers, very helpful.

That does make it very expensive to get into starship fights, even at 1 ton per 10 points. If my group's get shot once by a pulse laster they are going to be grounded a lot time :p.

There's a download which has a table for this, as well as several other items of errata that you can add to the Core Rulebook :)

Yeah but Geir is suggesting that even the update is wrong. Seems to be otherwise repairs will be a crazy price.

What surprises me is that no players seem to have taken any ship damage to make it worth asking :p

Yeah but Geir is suggesting that even the update is wrong. Seems to be otherwise repairs will be a crazy price.

What surprises me is that no players seem to have taken any ship damage to make it worth asking :p
Ah, I see! no worries, the table has some other updates which might be useful as well :)

Good point about the player ship damage, maybe everyone is just happily trading :D

FWIW, we have been using 1 ton of spare parts per 10 Hull, Routine Mechanic check, 1 hour per Hull point repaired. We don’t do a lot of space combat but this seems to be fair and in the spirit of things.

I also apply the critical hit roll for effect reducing the amount of parts needed.
So on a critical success, oh, this came loose - <tighten>

This seems like the sort of thing where the roll should usually be handwaved since routine repair work isn't exactly dramatic. You put the time in, you get it done.

If there's actually some plot-relevant reason why it needs to be done NOW ("We have three hours before the technobabble malfunction blows up the planet!") - thereby also creating an incentive to bump up the difficulty to go faster - then there's a reason to roll it.

Back