HP help with "locationless" monsters...

iamtim

Mongoose
Ok, I'm thinking something like a formless spawn of Tsathogghua. A creature that can form limbs as needed, but is otherwise a formless blob of black goo.

I'm thinking just assigning a number of hit points to the beasts one location, but I don't know how much or if that will work well.

Thoughts?

iamtim said:
Ok, I'm thinking something like a formless spawn of Tsathogghua. A creature that can form limbs as needed, but is otherwise a formless blob of black goo.

I'm thinking just assigning a number of hit points to the beasts one location, but I don't know how much or if that will work well.

Thoughts?

I would give it one fixed HP - maybe Average of CON and SIZ?

I would think such a creature would be immune to normal damage, only succeptable to say fire and cold. I'm not even sure I'd let non-elemental magic damage hurt it (i.e. bladesharp).

iamtim said:

Thoughts?

Go with the one location idea, but with a twist.

Find the value of the creature's HP as if it had a Arm. Treat any "psedopods" as having this many HP for effeces (severed, resiilence rolls, etc.). THen just apply damage taken to the One hit location HP.

Gorp (large mobile chaotic blobs of acid exuding protoplasm) have only one hit location (under RQ3). Chopping them up with bladed weapons simply creates more smaller Gorp though.

Simon Hibbs

Well, it's not actually a blob of goop, it's a demon of sorts from my in-house fantasy world. I can't go into a lot of detail, because one of my players reads the board... essentially it's a failed attempt at creation by a failed god, and people on this world consider them demons.

Chopping it will kill it. Chopped parts will just be dead hunks o' demon flesh. I like the idea of keeping track of pseudopods, however.

Good ideas, thanks.

Back