How many sand canisters can a firmpoint hold?

snrdg121408

Mongoose
Hi all,

MgT HG 2e p. 25/PDF 26 does not indicate the number of sand canisters that a firmpoint can hold.

I am guessing that since a single canister requires 0.05 tons of space there should be more available than a missile that requires approximately 0.08 tons of space.

If you go strictly by the rules, then its the same as a normal turret. As you noted, the rules don't give a reduced number like missiles do. It would be fair to say that if missile firmpoints hold 1/3rd as many missiles, then a sandcaster firmpoint should hold 1/3rd as many barrels (so 6, rounded down from 6.66).

1. Logic says it's a third reduction for the firmpointed variant.

2. However, for firmpointed singled turrets, common sense says that there is extra space not taken up by the other potential two weapon systems, so in theory if the rules require a tonne space allocation, than you can take up that slat by dividing it by three, and then multiplying it by three. This includes missiles.

Hi Jeraa,

Jeraa said:
If you go strictly by the rules, then its the same as a normal turret. As you noted, the rules don't give a reduced number like missiles do. It would be fair to say that if missile firmpoints hold 1/3rd as many missiles, then a sandcaster firmpoint should hold 1/3rd as many barrels (so 6, rounded down from 6.66).

Thank you for the reply and I also came up with 6 barrels however I went about the process differently.

MgT HG 2e p. 25/PDF 26
"Missile Rack: Though missile racks require ammunition and warheads take time to reach distant targets, they can be very powerful weapons and, when a range of warheads is available, extremely versatile too. Each missile rack holds 12 missiles (missiles racks on Firmpoints hold four missiles). The missile rack here is equipped with standard missiles."

MgT HG 2e p. 31/PDF 32
Missiles
Last sentence above Advanced Missile: "...12 missiles consume 1 ton."

One missile is about 1/12 = 0.08 tons

MgT HG 2e p. 25/PDF 26
"Sandcaster: Though mounted in turrets and of use against boarders, the sandcaster is primarily a defensive weapon system used to protect ships from laser weapons. Each sandcaster holds 12 sand canisters and costs Cr25000 to refill."

MgT HG 2e p. 31/PDF 32
SANDCASTERS
Last sentence above Canister Table: "...Twenty sand canisters consume 1 ton."

One canister is 1/20 = 0.05

A Firmpoint missile rack has 4 missiles x 0.08 tons = 0.32 / 0.05 = 6. 4 tons or 6 rounding down.

I'm wondering why canisters are limited to 12 when they are purchased in lots of 20 to a ton.

MgT HG 2e p. 25/PDF 26
"Sandcaster: Though mounted in turrets and of use against boarders, the sandcaster is primarily a defensive weapon system used to protect ships from laser weapons. Each sandcaster holds 12 sand canisters and costs Cr25000 to refill."

I'm wondering why canisters are limited to 12 when they are purchased in lots of 20 to a ton.

I believe it is a typo, as the core rulebook says 20 in a sandcaster. The core rules say different things than High Guard for both missiles and sandcasters. (Core rules say 12 missiles/20 sandcasters per turret, while High Guard implies its per rack/caster, not per turret.) The core rules make more sense, so just go with those.

Hi Conottiere,

Condottiere said:
1. Logic says it's a third reduction for the firmpointed variant.

12 missiles consume 1 ton of space with a single missile consuming about 0.08 tons of space. MgT HG 2e p. 31/PDF 32
20 sand canisters consume 1 ton of space with a single canister consuming 0.05 tons of space. MgT HG 2e p. 31/PDF 32

Both missile rack and sandcaster turrets carry 12 missiles/canisters. MgT HG 2e p. 25/PDF 26

A missile rack mounted on a Firmpoint carries 4 missiles each consuming about 0.08 tons or a total of about 0.32 tons.

A sandcaster canister consumes only 0.05 tons of space. Two missiles consume .16 tons of space while 3 missiles consume 0.15 tons of space.

In this case my opinion is that logic is wrong.

2. However, for firmpointed singled turrets, common sense says that there is extra space not taken up by the other potential two weapon systems, so in theory if the rules require a tonne space allocation, than you can take up that slat by dividing it by three, and then multiplying it by three. This includes missiles.

All turrets are 1 ton and have three or if the quad is used four slots. Technically a single or double turret should be able to use the empty slots to store more reloads for missiles or canisters. For the non-munition using weapons the unused space in a single. double or if the quad turret is used a triple turret is waste space.

Back