How long to make Rune Level

How long in real time should it take to reach rune level?

• About 50 sessions - i.e. 1/week for a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-75 sessions: 1/week for 1.5 years

• 75-100 session: 1/week for 2 years

• More than 100 sessions?

• Fewer than 50 sessions?

• Total voters

Deleriad

Mongoose
So, I was wondering, starting from a novice character, how long do people reckon it should take to get to rune level or equivalent? I don't mean if you crunched the numbers but how long in actual sessions of gaming?

I think this depends a little bit on how generous GMs are with the IRs and how characters use them. Is the PC trying to sprint towards Rune level immediately, or round out their character a bit, maybe trying to get that elusive extra CA (!)?

Also- is a game session the equivalent of 1 scenario? One stretch of time after which an IR is awarded?

I think some of those answers will make the poll more exact.

EDIT: I will also say this- if my PC's really wanted to get to Rune level- or it was important they get to Rune level to make a campaign work correctly- some stuff in my game might get fudged (ie.- A year and a half passes uneventfully and you have lots of time to train and learn. You have X amount of IRs, keep in mind, to fulfill your deities request you must at least meet these requirements - then lay out what's needed to reach Rune Level).

Some players enjoy the slow, hard earned character building, others just want to be powerful right off the bat. It's most important that everyone have fun.

Those are my disclaimers, I will vote on the poll after you hot me with those answers Deleraid. :wink:

ThatGuy said:
Those are my disclaimers, I will vote on the poll after you hot me with those answers Deleraid. :wink:

Simply sessions of real time. Say you played once a week for a year then do you think that should be enough time to get to rune level? Too little? Too long. a session might encompass a year of game time or just a few minutes of game time combat.

To me I would aim to get most of the player characters to Rune Level in about eight to ten sessions of play.

Darran said:
To me I would aim to get most of the player characters to Rune Level in about eight to ten sessions of play.
Wow, that's blazingly fast! I've played RuneQuest games where eight sessions ended up with one round if skill ticks, but that was quite annoying. The GM heaped us with loot but crippled our progression.

It took our characters about 2.5 years to get to Rune Lord status, playing every week. However, one was a shaman/priest after about a year and another was an acolyte after about a year and a half.

As with MRQ, I use experience points - I give out 1D6+6 on average but have combined them with Hero Points, so the players use around half of them for experience (1D3+3 on average).

Rune level means High Priest/High Lord? That's five skills at 80%, and minimum of five years from initiation. Skill requirements aren't that hard to meet if you plan for them but the latter depends how much downtime there is between sessions. Especially if the character isn't a Pious Member when the game starts.

I'm all for the long game
but...
I haven't played in a 50+ session campaign in ... 25 years. Most games I get involved in run about 10 - 15 sessions, then fizzle out.

I might have checked 50 + sessions, but it seems like it should be about 20 or so to me. That's 5 months and playing once a week.

T

After over a year's play starting with RQ3, moving to MRQ1 then moving as soon as it came out to MRQ2 (with a break for a quick Vampire: Dark Ages round), we have one character an Acolyte of Humakt, another close to becoming an Acolyte of Vinga and a novice sorcerer just beginning to realize that advancement is quite difficult in sorcery in Prax. Remember it takes 3 game years for an Acolyte to become a Priest/Lord, so that may impose constraints.

I went with less than 50 but then I also run what my players consider to be an epic-level campaign. That is, the PCs' activities can end up causing world-changing events..whether they mean them to or not. :twisted:

It's really up to my players though. Some have actively pursued Rune-level status while others focus more on the combo of skill/spell development they consider optimum for their character concept.

And, having moved beyond college/university and into the work force years/decades ago, none of us have time to play every weekend. Real Life(tm) just won't allow it.

Back