how do you run Kloon Sages?

zhenxiao

Mongoose
I was curious on how others dealt with Kloon Sage abilities. For example: a Kloon sage with Battle Wisdom can now wear armor. But if that same Sage also has Combat Wisdom in a Brother of the Crystal Star's Lightning Hand, would that Sage have to take off his armor before casting Lightning Hand?

While I can't specifically find it in the rules that armor inhibits a Brother's ability to cast, it does say that Brothers can't wear armor. I would assume this means that armor interferes with a Brother's ability to cast spells, which would lead me to believe that even the Kloon Sage couldn't cast Lightning Hand and wear armor at the same time.

Continuing with the above Sage example, that same Sage also has Combat Wisdom in Telchoi Warrior's Bite of Fire. Since Telchoi Warriors are not prohibited from wearing armor, the Sage may in fact cast this spell while wearing armor.

Just curious on how you guys would handle a Kloon Sage's abilities.

Cheers,
Zhen

One of the things that makes a Kloon Sage so potent is that they have the ability to duplicate other forms of magic without having to bow to those style's limitations. They essentially find ways to simulate other paths through their own gifts.

Thus the Kloon Sage in your example never needs to take off armor to cast spells, even Brotherhood spells.

Yes, this upsets Brothers of the Crystal Star to no end. :)

-A

One thing that initially bothered me was that they'd be able to imitate Kai and Magi abilities, but then I realised that being Drodarin, they're supposed to have magic in their blood to begin with.

Thanks for the replies. I was going to play it that Kloon Sages can "mimic" other's disciplines, but the Sage actually taps into his own power to successfully perform the discipline. So it's nice to hear other's feedback on the subject.

Cheers,
Zhen

Twiler said:
One thing that initially bothered me was that they'd be able to imitate Kai and Magi abilities, but then I realised that being Drodarin, they're supposed to have magic in their blood to begin with.

Out of curiosity, would that mean that dwarves are magical too? Can you get dwarven spell casters?

Hellebore

It has been theorized that the dwarves do have magi but they have not been seen by other cultures in so long as to offer no proof of their existence. If there _are_ dwarven mages, they do not work magic as the Brotherhood or other spellcasters do.

Indeed, their powers might work more along the lines of... oh... creating constructs...

Just throwing that out there,

-August :)

zhenxiao said:
Thanks for the replies. I was going to play it that Kloon Sages can "mimic" other's disciplines, but the Sage actually taps into his own power to successfully perform the discipline. So it's nice to hear other's feedback on the subject.

No worries, Zhen. You can consider this reply official if you need to for whatever reason. (Though I've long held that nothing's official in a game except what that particular game's master says. :) )

Back