[Homebrewed] New Sorcery Style: Iranistani Fire Magic

JamesMishler

Mongoose
Too much inspiration from this new book...

New Sorcery Style: Fire Magic

Fire magic is uncommon in the western Hyborian kingdoms. It is practiced mostly by the priests of Iranistan, known as magi, by whom fire is revered as unto a god itself. The sorcerous skills and spells have spread further throughout the desert lands and beyond, brought there by heretical magi. It has since been further developed by potent sorcerers in conjunction with dark teachings from demonic and other-worldly sources.

Spells [Prerequisites]
Flare (Basic Fire Magic) [Knowledge (arcana) 4]

Burning Hands [Knowledge (arcana) 6, flare]

Purify Flame [Knowledge (arcana) 6, flare]

Pyrokinesis [Knowledge (arcana) 6, flare, burning hands]

Fire Resistance [Knowledge (arcana) 8, flare, purify flame]

Burning Blood [Knowledge (arcana) 8, magic attack bonus +4 or higher, flare, purify flame, lesser ill-fortune]

Fire Talk [Knowledge (arcana) 8, flare, purify flame, astrological predictions, visions]

Fire Walk [Knowledge (arcana) 10, flare, purify flame, fire resistance]

Fire of Life* [Knowledge (arcana) 12, flare, purify flame, fire resistance, fire walk, and demonic pact or master-words and signs]

Burning Vengeance* [Magic attack bonus +6 or higher, Knowledge (arcana) 8, Religion (Iranistani Fire Worship) 8, flare, purify flame, Priest feat (Iranistani Fire Worship)]

Summon Efreet* [Magic attack bonus +8 or higher, Knowledge (arcana) 10, flare, purify flame, fire resistance, master-words and signs]

Flare (Basic Fire Magic)
PP Cost: 1 point per source of flame so affected (per square if flame is large)
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Effect: One or more existing fires increases in intensity
Duration: Concentration + 1d6 rounds
Magic Attack Roll: Sets DC for nearby target’s saving throw

Flare has two modes of use.

The first version of this spell enables the caster to increase the potency of an already existing fire, whether it is a simple candle or a raging bonfire. Upon the casting of this spell the affected fire source will instantaneously flash forth fire to at least twice its normal size, potentially causing damage to those nearby. Those in the area of effect may make a Reflex saving throw for half damage. After the initial, instantaneous flash the fire will burn twice as brightly as before, for as long as the sorcerer concentrates on maintaining it and for 1d6 rounds thereafter. The increased flames do not consume any additional fuel during this period, though they double the “bright” and “shadowy” range bands for that light source.
In the initial flash a candle affects anyone in the same square, dealing 1d3 points of fire damage. A torch or lantern affects anyone in the same square, dealing 1d6 points of damage. A typical campfire affects anyone in the same square and in adjacent squares, dealing 2d6 points of damage. Larger fires can deal similarly larger amounts of damage over a wider area. Depending on how many fires the sorcerer affects, an individual may be caught in several areas of effect. Flammable items in the area of effect, such as papers and clothing, may catch flames under normal circumstances.
The secondary use of this spell enables the caster to start normal fires, within the above listed range, provided the necessary fuel is available and prepared. If used in this fashion, the fires do not flash forth and cause damage, however, they may be used subsequently in such fashion after three rounds (to give the fires time to get going) if the spell is cast again.
Material Component: In the first mode, the fires to be affected; in the second, the requisite fuel, plus a bit of flint and steel held in hand.

Burning Hands
PP Cost: 4 points
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: One round/scholar level plus 1d6 rounds
Magic Attack Roll: Sets DC for target’s saving throw
Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 6, flare

Burning hands causes the caster’s hands to become engulfed in flames, such that the flames become quite potent in combat through they do not damage the caster. A successful touch attack deals 1d6 in fire damage, while a punch attack deals 1d6 in fire damage in addition to the normal 1d3 in non-lethal bludgeoning damage (or 1d6 in lethal damage if the caster has the Brawl feat). Any attack that deals 6 hit points of fire damage also has the chance to set the target’s clothing on fire, if the target fails a Reflex save.
The caster can also start normal fires with a mere touch. Flames caused in this way can damage the caster if he gets caught in them.
Material Component: A silver dagger, with which the caster must slit his own palms (dealing 1 hit point of damage in the process), plus a fire into which the caster must plunge his hands (taking no damage therefrom).

Purify Flame
PP Cost: 2 points
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Effect: One flame
Duration: Special
Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 6, flare

Through the use of this spell the caster purifies a single open flame, from candle sized to campfire sized. Purification of a fire causes the following benefits:
• The fire burns for ten times its normal duration. Thus a candle flame so treated lasts 10 hours, while a lantern with a full pint of oil lasts 60 hours.
• The fire provides bright light out to its shadowy light range, but does not provide additional shadowy light.
• The fire cannot be put out by accident, nor by a simple breeze, or in the case of a torch by dropping accidentally. It must be put out by casting a volume of water or earth over it, by extinguishing the candle or brand in a bucket of water, or other purposeful method. Overwhelming accidental force can extinguish it, but such requires a massive deluge or gale-force winds.
• Any fire magic based spell cast using a purified flame as a material component gains one of the following benefits, chosen by the caster at the time of casting the second spell: 150% duration, 150% damage, 150% range, or 150% area of effect.
• A visions spell cast using a purified flame as a material component requires only 1 PP per minute to maintain. A visions of torment and enlightenment spell cast using this flame as an additional component costs only 2 PP for the first minute and 1 PP per two minutes thereafter. A ranged hypnotism spell using a magical link in combination with a purified fire causes the target to suffer a -3 circumstance penalty to his Willpower saving throw.
These benefits remain only so long as the original fuel used remains inviolate. Adding additional fuel to the fire counts as a purposeful attempt to extinguish the flame. In addition, if the flame is defiled, such as by urinating on it, pouring human blood into it, using the torch as a weapon, or other appropriate means, the flame goes out and the original caster immediately suffers 1d6 points of fire damage.
It is said that the fire priests of Iranistan have a method of keeping purified flames burning, adding fuel as needed, however, the rituals required for this magical feat have never been revealed outside the priesthood.
Material Component: A fire ranging from a candle to a campfire in size (no larger than one square in size), plus herbs and sacred oils from Iranistan worth 100 sp. That cost is in the Hyborian and western kingdoms, the materials cost only 10 sp in Iranistan itself.

More to come later this weekend...

Sorry for the delay.

Pyrokinesis
PP Cost: 2 points plus 1 point per minute after the first
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 full round
Effect: One or more fire sources
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/scholar level
Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 6, flare, burning hands

Pyrokinesis allows the caster to take control of a fire and move it across the ground. The spell must be cast while the caster is adjacent to a source of open flame no smaller than a torch or well-stoked brazier. At the completion of the caster’s incantations and after waving his hands over the flames the fire bursts from its fuel source and moves at a rate of 120 feet per round, conforming to a path defined by the will of the caster. The fire trails sparks and smoke of a color desired by the caster. The caster can control the fire out to Long range; if the fire would ever go past that range, it extinguishes itself. The fire, which takes the form of a ball of fire one square in size, moves during the caster’s round. The caster must concentrate to move the ball of fire and to maintain its integrity. The fire moves along the ground, and can be commanded to move up walls and along ceilings, or any other solid surface. The ball stops moving whenever it strikes a living being; the caster can keep the ball at that location the next round, or move it thereafter.
Anyone struck by the ball of fire takes 2d6 fire damage, and may make a Reflex save for half damage. Note that wooden and similar surfaces upon which the fire travels may be susceptible to fire damage, especially thatched roofs and rush-strewn floors. The fire also affects any similarly flammable objects in its path, including tables, chairs, benches, curtains, and so forth.
Material Components: Iranistani herbs and oils worth 100 sp, which are cast into the fire during the casting.
Focus: The focus consists of a hand-made wand made of gold and forged in purified flames. The wand alone costs at least 1,000 sp to manufacture. If the wand is tipped with a ruby worth no less than 2,000 sp the base damage for the fire is 3d6; if the ruby is worth 10,000 sp the fire does 4d6 damage. Note that the wand must be made by the caster, and if anyone else ever touches the wand it becomes worthless for the purpose of casting this spell. If the wand is severed while the spell is underway the fire explodes out from the stub of the wand and damages the caster, who is allowed no saving throw.

Fire Resistance
PP Cost: 4 points
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Duration: 10 minutes/scholar level
Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 8, flare, purify flame

The casting of this spell grants the sorcerer near immunity to all natural fires, to the effect whereby he ignores the first 12 points of fire damage from any fire source. Thus, only the most intense fires might affect him, notably the attacks of fire elementals and efreet.
This spell can be countered by anyone who throws a jack or more of water on the sorcerer thus protected. Ale or other alcohols will not be efficacious.
Material Components: During the casting of the spell this robe must be anointed with Iranistani oils worth 100 sp.
Focus: The focus is a specially made robe into which the feather of a phoenix must be woven. The robe itself requires special weaves, including the use of gold and silver thread, and costs no less 500 sp. If this robe is ever subjected to water, even so much as a cup full, the feather melts and the robe becomes worthless.

Burning Blood
PP Cost: 2 points, plus 1 point per round after the first
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. per two scholar levels)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Fort negates, and see below
Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 8, magic attack bonus +4 or higher, flare, purify flame, lesser ill-fortune

Burning blood is a terrible curse reserved for the most recalcitrant of enemies. With the casting of this spell a ball of fire shoots out from the caster’s hand to strike the target. If the target successfully saves the ball explodes in his face and he suffers only 2d6 fire damage. If he fails his save, however, the ball shoots down his mouth and from his lungs spreads throughout his blood system. The victim immediately falls to the ground, helpless, and is unable to act in any way whatsoever save to scream in agony while writhing in pain. Every round the sorcerer concentrates on maintaining the spell, including the first, the victim suffers 1d4 Constitution damage. During this time the victim’s body blisters and burns, flames shoot out of his mouth, his eyes glow fiery red, and smoke pours out of his ears. If he is reduced to 0 Constitution his body explodes in flames, causing 2d6 damage to everyone within 5 feet (Reflex save for half). Nothing will be left of the victim save for scattered ashes.
If the victim survives this spell he must make a Fortitude check every day for every point of Constitution damage he would heal; if he fails, that point actually was drain, not damage, and is lost forever.
Focus: The sorcerer must be wearing a specially made ring, a gold band with a ruby worth no less than 10,000 sp. The ring glows an obvious fiery red while the spell is in effect (thus, various servants may well know its importance in casting the spell, and opposing scholars may deduce its use). While the sorcerer need not forge the ring himself, he must participate in its making, and sacrifice a virginal female when it is completed. If the ruby of the ring is ever destroyed the sorcerer will himself be subject to this spell for 1d6+1 rounds.

More fire magic will be forthcoming. Just too busy with other projects right now.

Oh, and I just read over the Ability score recovery system in Conan, so the Burning Blood spell needs to be changed as follows:

"If the victim survives this spell he must make a Fortitude check for each point of Constitution damage he would heal; if he fails, that point actually was drain, not damage, and is lost forever."

Yeah, that's pretty harsh, especially as Fort is Con based and so it is a nasty spiral. But it is supposed to be a harsh spell.

Keep up the good work; new styles of sorcery are always welcome.
:twisted:
Which books are fire sorcery and its practicioners detailed in, if any? I love Iranistan, but it's hard to find info on it. There were two really awesome Iranistanni secret agents in Andy Offut's CONAN AND THE SORCERER and THE SWORD OF SKELOS (both trying to obtain the Eye of Erlik for their king), but otherwise I've read a lot of the pastiches and don't see many Iranistannis of note, nor any adventures that take place there...

Hey James,

Mind if I put this stuff on my website? I'm working on a Hyborian Lore section and I'd love to add this as the first submission. Let me know!

-Tom

Iron_Chef said:
Which books are fire sorcery and its practicioners detailed in, if any?

None that I am aware of. This is all extrapolation from the various sorcery styles as prsented in Howard and historical legendry and myth.

From its name and position Howard loosely based Iranistan on historical Iran (Persia). Pre-Islamic, most historical Persians were Zoroastrians, a more or less dualistic faith which uses fire as a central part of the worship of the “Good God” Ahura Mazda (a.k.a. Ormazd). Angra Mainyu, the “Evil God” also known as Ahriman (remember him?) is the opposite of Ahura Mazda. In earlier days people of other faiths thought the Zoroastrians worshiped fire itself. Zoroastrian priests (and their pre-monotheistic predecessors) were termed Magi, a word which came to mean over the years simply a "wise man" or "wizard," but originally simply referred to a Persian priest.

I extrapolated a fire worshiping faith from this for Iranistan. Monotheism being pretty well exclusively a Hyborian trait, and Dualism seeming to be a bit too advanced for most other Hyborian Age faiths, it seemed appropriate to develop a more primitive version of the historical Persian faith. Thus, Iranistani Fire Worship.

Once I get the time to finish up the actual spell descriptions (and the Efreet description, which is different from a Fire Elemental), I'll write up my version of the religion of Iranistani Fire Worship. Though they worship fire directly, the Iranistani also revere gods of fire and light. Agni (modern and ancient Hindu god of fire) is the “God of Elder Fires and Eternal Light,” with his “sons” Ormazd (“God of Cleansing Fires and Pure Light”) and Ahriman (“God of Damning Fires and Dark Light”) being the major gods of the faith. Mitra is also revered as the “God of the Dawn Fires and Rising Sun.”

More details later, as I get more time...

Red Tulwar said:
Hey James,

Mind if I put this stuff on my website? I'm working on a Hyborian Lore section and I'd love to add this as the first submission. Let me know!

-Tom

Feel more than welcome. All I ask is that credit is given, that proper OGL restrictions be followed, and that any requirements Mongoose and Conan Properties may have for Conan fan sites be followed as well.

toothill man said:
now this sounds great thank you is there anymore homebrew you or others would like too share?

I love sharing my Homebrew stuff, and I'm glad y'all enjoy it. But I also gotta work on paying material, too... I do this for a living. However, I will continue to post here as I can, finishing the Fire Magic material first.

everyone has too make a living :D enjoy new magic anyway but your fire magic looks good and will fit a villian I am thinking of like a glove :wink: but thank you again and look forward too seeing the end product on reds site when you have the time

toot 8)

It's a very good piece of work you've done there. The style hangs together well thematically, it's not absurdly powerful (but see my next paragraph), and it seems to fit the style of the game.

My only fear is that it may encourage people to cross the line into "artillery magic," which is almost non-existent in the Conan oeuvre. Once we have that, somebody will develop a sorcerous tradition of healing spells, and before long we'll be back to vanilla dnd.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. :roll:

InsomNY said:
My only fear is that it may encourage people to cross the line into "artillery magic," which is almost non-existent in the Conan oeuvre. Once we have that, somebody will develop a sorcerous tradition of healing spells, and before long we'll be back to vanilla dnd.

I'm making sure as I go that there are prohibitions to player characters getting too deeply involved with the more powerful spells, such as the need to sacrifice a virgin to make the ring needed to cast "burning blood." And then the more powerful spells have distinctive "blowback" chances that all wise (and even most munchkin type) players will desire to avoid using them... wait'll you see the costs for the "mighty spells!"

Healing? In Hyboria? Hmmph... I thought the Golden Wine of Xuthal was a mistake on Howard's part. Too deus-ex-machina for my tastes. Didn't quite seem to fit.

JamesMishler said:
Healing? In Hyboria? Hmmph... I thought the Golden Wine of Xuthal was a mistake on Howard's part. Too deus-ex-machina for my tastes. Didn't quite seem to fit.

I figured it's so scarce that it shouldn't be too game-unbalancing or suspension-of-disbelief-breaking. And it is quite handy for situations where the GM wants to have two near-total party kills one after the other. ;)

The Golden Wine (miruvor, anyone?) worked for the story, and it seemed clear that it was in incredibly short supply. I'd probably tone down the game stats of the stuff, but it could be very handy when the adventurers are in the midst of some epic struggle and can't afford to take any down-time to heal.

The only sort of "healing" I would expect to see in the game is life-transfer necromancy. Suck the helpless sacrifice dry to fix your ills, and all that. As the few wizards who survive to become powerful invariably live exceptionally long lives (until slain), this would make sense. I suppose a white spell that worked to heal another at the cost of your own health would also fit within the bounds of what REH magic can do, but the corrupt nature of sorcery makes such a thing seem unlikely. Neither case of healing magic (vampiric or empathic) can be inferred directly from canon. Can it?

Completion of this project is even more important and useful with the release of Scrolls of Skelos, which has nothing like this in it.

Sorry I've not posted in a while. I moved to a new state and started a new job. I'll get back to finish this as soon as I get settled in, and get regular Web access (and find my dratted login).

Back