High Guard Update 2022 - Coming July 29th!

Another (hopefully last) update later this week!
Just noticed this.
Why does the Ship design table for Manuever Drive 0 mass twice as much as the Manuever Drive 0 for a space station, when the M-Drive entry in the ship design section says M-0 is for space stations?
Pg 16 vs pg 64

And then the space station uses four times the power of a ship that only has Manuever Drive 0.
Pg 17 vs pg 64

Last edited:
STEP 2: INSTALL DRIVES Manoeuvre drive with Thrust 0 consumes tonnage equal to 0.25% of the space station’s total hull and costs MCr1 per ton. Enables the station to make flight corrections to stay in orbit.

(multiply by 0.25 if the ship is capable only of Thrust 0)

I notice that a reaction drive option isn't mentioned in Spacestations.

Right. That's what pg 64 says.
But it refers you to page 16, and it says something else.
The M-Drive chart is .5%, not .25%.

Then 64 says the power plant tonnage is one thing, but refers to another page which has the reduction.

One refers you to a higher than stated value, one to a lower than stated value.
Pg 64 should be edited for clarity prior to printing, which was the secondary point of the post.

Well, half a percent is a holdover from the previous book.

I don't happen to agree with that formula, but that's neither here nor there.

Power per hundred tonnes of spacestation for thrust zero and a quarter percent of tonnage would be 0.25 power points.

STEP 3: INSTALL POWER PLANT Two main power requirements:

BASIC SYSTEMS Artificial gravity, heating, lighting and life support. Required Power = 20% of hull tonnage.

MANOEUVRE DRIVE Required power = 10% of hull tonnage. See Install Power Plant on page 17.

That seems wrong and a mistake.

HG U2022 says a Starport needs a shipyard of 25,000 tons to be Class A.
Is that the ability to make 25,000 ton ships (for a 50kton shipyard) or the ability to make 12,500 ton ships as the minimum requirement for Class A?

I’d take it at face value, 25K tons of shipyard. Whatever building capacity that is would be secondary in this instance.

Which implies that shipyards under 25K tons can’t build or repair jump drives. Which seems weird.

They have those further up the page. The main question is which is the rating based upon?
Maximum build size or actual tonnage of the yard?

I’d take it at face value, 25K tons of shipyard. Whatever building capacity that is would be secondary in this instance.

Which implies that shipyards under 25K tons can’t build or repair jump drives. Which seems weird.
Yes to #1 : It says shipyard, not build capacity, has to be 25Kt, so build capacity might only be 12.5Kt (or less, if Starship Workers Local 404 are on strike or out with the flu, blue or otherwise).

Not necessarily to #2: The system needs a Class A starport to build starships, but the shipyard need not be the starport (or all of it) - it comes back to that whole "Is one starport equal to one facility?" discussion. The requirement is the extra cost per ton (MCr 0.75), the Tech Level required for the drive (TL9 for J1, TL11 for J2, etc.) and I would add, though it doesn't say so, that the system in its UWP should be rated as having a Class A starport, which might or might not include that particular shipyard. But, the station in and of itself cannot be that starport on its own, unless it has 25kt of shipyard space as part of the station.

You can subdivide a drydock, and in our case, the hull(s) could be floating in zero gee.

You could say that any capacity is the hull volume that could be worked on at the same time, plus the space for the personnel and components to move around, like a hangar.

Just curious was there ever a write-up for the ship weapon "bay sized Neural Canon that can render a psionically unshielded crew non-functional without damaging the targeted ship" etc from the Darrians?

pilot-pigeon.jpg

Back