Here goes a bizarre request for help...

redlaco

Mongoose
Hello citizens.

I'm new to Paranoia and since English is not my native laguage, I have some trouble
coming up with interesting names for my troubleshooter.
Is there a list of examples somewhere that I could use as inspiration ?

Thanks in advance!

Are you playing in ZAP style, where everyone is using pun names? If not, just pick any old name, like the examples found in the rulebook. If it is a pun game, are you the only one in the group for whom English isn't a native language? Because if you're all playing in another language, just make pun names in that language and you're set. 8)

- Eric

You can get a lot of puns in different languages.

Most of the ones I know are car based and in French but here's some

You don't see many MR2s in France
In france Citroen turbo diesels use the abbrev TRD, but in Britain they are TDR (Similar to above).

Citroen DS (Pronounced Day-Ess en francais) being the French word for Goddess

Not quite a pun but the Citroen Cx was so named as it's coefficient of drag along the body (Cx (x subscript) ) was very low. A very aerodynamic car for it's time.

Or in a more British vein LOTUS (Could be a paranoi character LOT-US)
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious)

We apologise for the incredibly boring content of this post but I'm tired and my boring meter needs recalibration by sleep.

LBH

Thank you both for your answers, Eric and LBH.
I think naming puns are easier to pull out in English but since all my players are French-Canadians, I'll try to find some funny french-sounding names, using local stuff.

Just have to crank up my thinking box...

@Eric: I'll be mostly running Classic games.

redlaco said:
Thank you both for your answers, Eric and LBH.
I think naming puns are easier to pull out in English but since all my players are French-Canadians, I'll try to find some funny french-sounding names, using local stuff.

Just have to crank up my thinking box...

@Eric: I'll be mostly running Classic games.
Off the top of my head, I can think of only 2 sources of French name puns:

Terrahawks: The Zeroids each had different personalities, number 18 had a moustache and spoke with a bad French accent. Sgt. Maj. Zero called him (phonetically) Dicks Hewitt, a mangling of the French word for 18, dix-huit.

Asterix: The puns were different once they were translated out of the French but the puns were good in both languages. go looking through the books if you have any or if not try searching for the Asterix films on the IMDB or other Movie databases, the French ones (if any) should have different names for some of the characters.

LBH

EDIT : The IMDB listing seem to have both character names listed.

Back