hello to all

koyodude

Mongoose
Alright guys, i finally gave in and became a convert to ACtA (im an old B5W veteran). This game rocks. I just wanted to say hello to all of you and hope that you welcome me.
I have a few questions:
1) I dont yet have the fleet book, but was wondereing if the DagKar is still as cheesy as it was in B5W.
2) Also to the people in charge, just curious as to why the decision was made to give the Gaim thier own dedicated ships (in the AoG game, they used other races old hulls.) Not complaining or trying to compare, just curious is all.

Thanks guys.

1: from what i have heard i would say not, most people dont use dag'kars in ACTA.

2: isnt it better to have your own fleet rather than rehash other peoples ships? we already have the pak'ma'ra do that. Gaim are something completely differant. at least thats what it looks and feels like to me.

hi, welcome to the forum,
the dag kar is now a raid ship and pretty good really, 6ad on 1 weopon and 4 on the other

Hello and welcome :D

re the narn ship not sure - but i'll take em on with me Centauri fleet anyday!
:D
Gaim - I guess cos they can and new ship goodness :)

The Dag Kar started life in ACTA as the NArn ship of choice, but at the time e-mines had a 4inch blast and could cause critical hits, the serious amount of emines the ship carried made it a game winner on its own. As emines evolved in the various supplements, the Dag Kar Hull did not evolve with it and it became something of a pin cushion and beam magnet. Although in large games it was stioll worthtaking as your opponent generally had more important targets to concentrate on.

In the current eddition the change to the beam rules make the Dag Kar hull viable once more, although it has dropped an awfull lot of AD, from 4x4 emines down to 1x6. But emines have increased in potency. Time will tell if the Dag Kar earns an automatic slot on the Narn rosta, I think in a 10 point war level game I would field a squadron of 4 of them to see how they work.

In terms of the decision about the Gaim I think it's all explained in the FREE downloadable magazine Signs & Portents, issue 48. You can find it through the main website.

Welcome to the madhouse. There are quite a few of us who have already jumped onto ACTA from a B5W background. I must admit that I have played a lot more ACTA than I ever managed B5W. Hope you enjoy the game.

koyodude said:
1) I dont yet have the fleet book, but was wondereing if the DagKar is still as cheesy as it was in B5W.

I don't think so. Under the revisions of ACTA (as others have said) its usefulness has fluctuated quite a bit over the revisions. I think it reached its pinnacle as an Ambush vessel loaded with Ship-Breaker variant e-mines. Fortunately it has been 2e'ed.

Its current configuration. Its a Raid level (mid range) ship with a reasonable battery of Super AP, Precise Ion Torpedoes and a Slow loading (fires every other turn) Narn energy mines where most Narn E-mines are now one shot. Narn E-mines are a 3" Radius templates of 6AD Triple Damage. It sure looks like it could be very useful, without being too over the top. I would need to play it a few times to see what it is really like though.

koyodude said:
2) Also to the people in charge, just curious as to why the decision was made to give the Gaim thier own dedicated ships (in the AoG game, they used other races old hulls.) Not complaining or trying to compare, just curious is all.

They moved the second hand hull market into pak'ma'ra space (although there are still some of the original AoG pak ships). Mongooses Gaim fluff says they originally bought old hulls from other governments, but have taken to building their own hulls now. An excuse to release some really snazzy minis.

Back