Healing Discipline Question

Okay, now this one is a bit odd but here we go: The Healing level 5 tier power is the ability for the Kai Monk to use all his healing abilities on everything (and not just humans). I assume this counts towards his healing skill bonus but does it also allow him to use Warmth of the Sun (lay on hands) on others instead of it's use being limited to himself only? It seems uncharacteristicaly selfish of a kai monk to keep actual endurance point healing to himself when he is often generous with the healing (and text in some of the lone wolf books mentions him healing people's wounds enough that they'll be able to recover and live later).

the rules seem to suggest that the kai lord is a master at healing himself and kind of apathetic to healing others (meh, thats what laumspur is for, quit bugging me!) but i would personally allow the kai lord to heal others as good as he can heal himself, if i wrote the rules he would be a master of healing others and less himself (back when i was six and me and my friends were running around the playground fighting off hordes of kraan and drakkarim; we always relied on others to heal us, which was a raw deal for the Grandmasters who could heal the acolytes really well but had to put up with their bumblingly sad attempts hehehehe)

The way the ambiguous wording is written suggests the Kai Monk can only heal himself (and can only heal others when they're down and out).

The way the healing skill was used in the gamebooks was more often to heal npc's and animals etc, to ease and sooth the pain, cure infected wounds and restore enough health that they would survivie (conserving energy for later use). This altruistic and generous element of the healing discipline carried on in the Grandmaster series and it just seems right for a Kai Monk to be able to heal others (especialy if he's the only healer in the party :p).

Wannabe Drakkar said:
(back when i was six and me and my friends were running around the playground fighting off hordes of kraan and drakkarim)

Six?! You must beat least one or two years younger than me my friend (and probably a good four or five). I didn't discover the Lone Wolf books 'till I was 9 and that was only a year or two after they came out (it was one of those rare days in the 80's when I could actualy afford to go into a bookshop). Ironicaly, whilst most of my later purchases were made from the bookshop I bought my first Lone Wolf books at WHSmiths (which was just across the road from the bookshop, that is, before the bookshop closed down and a new "faddy" booskhop opened selling tv chef books and stuff that looked more like magazines than books at exhorbitant prices).

Wannabe Drakkar said:
game mechanics for that?
can do to others anything that can do to self?
Yes, that's what I had in mind.
Why be complicated when you can make it simple ? 8)

Wannabe Drakkar said:
game mechanics for that?
can do to others anything that can do to self?

Nope, it's "can use all healing abilities on anyone, not just humans" but up untill this point the most basic ability has not even been usable on other humans. so it might just apply to the abilities which could previously only be used on humans or it may suddenly broaden the range for everything. That's why the wording is ambiguous.

I know, but in my house rule, every healing ability can be used on others as long as you pay the usual cost in Endurance or Willpower.

A variant could be that the cost is doubledsince it requires more energy. I'll have to playtest before being sure, though.

Yeah well these threads aren't to make sure I'll be doing things "by the book" but more to see if my house rules will actualy be house rules or official anyway :). (In my campaign I'll be ungrouping the bunched skills for starters. Yes, bunching them works for simplicity but it also effectively means that you get too much more for your skill points than you ought to. When I ungroup them if a class had the group as a class skill it gets them all as class skills (which might look like a lot of class skills but they'll run out of skill points if they try to fill them all :))).

Back