Harmonic shields

Rob_A

Mongoose
It states that if a model is targeted by an attack. Does this mean it wont work for kills? Only if it goes over my target score?
Help a guy out here. :?

The rules state you have to beat the total rolled, which suggests you've got to beat the dice plus any bonus, so a weapon that rolls 11+ blows right through the shield

Hi guys,

For each dice an enemy rolls in attack (ignoring 'bonus' damage dice'), roll once for the Harmonic Shield.

For example, an MI squad fires 4 Moritas (8 dice total) and a Holepunch (1 dice). The Harmonic Shield will roll 9 dice, once against each attacking dice.

In practice, you won't need to roll so many, as any shots that score less than the victim's Target can be safely ignored.

msprange said:
Hi guys,

For each dice an enemy rolls in attack (ignoring 'bonus' damage dice'), roll once for the Harmonic Shield.

For example, an MI squad fires 4 Moritas (8 dice total) and a Holepunch (1 dice). The Harmonic Shield will roll 9 dice, once against each attacking dice.

In practice, you won't need to roll so many, as any shots that score less than the victim's Target can be safely ignored.

What? This means that any model equipped with a harmonic shield is virtually invulnerable! The shield stops the damage if you roll equal to or greater than the damage. This means that if you only roll over the target the model is automatically unaffected, and if you roll a kill against the model then all you need to do is roll a 2+ on a D10 to nullify the attack!

Going by the way I was describing, you at least have a chance to overwhelm the shield with massed fire and take out the model. Otherwise, for a meager 25 points (the cost of a single cap trooper) you can make your skinnies nearly invulnerable.

Lorcan Nagle said:
The rules state you have to beat the total rolled, which suggests you've got to beat the dice plus any bonus, so a weapon that rolls 11+ blows right through the shield

Correct.

dyssnowman said:
What? This means that any model equipped with a harmonic shield is virtually invulnerable! The shield stops the damage if you roll equal to or greater than the damage. This means that if you only roll over the target the model is automatically unaffected, and if you roll a kill against the model then all you need to do is roll a 2+ on a D10 to nullify the attack!

No.

What you are trying to do with the Harmonic Shield is roll higher than the Damage Dice that is about to destroy/hurt you. That is all.

Not sure where that 2+ came from. . .

msprange said:
Lorcan Nagle said:

Correct.

now im evan more confused as you just contradicted yourself i think ?

if you ignor bonus and bonus dice, how can you get an 11 ?

k, I will attempt to give an example of how harmonic shields work. (They're kind of complex, and probably slow things down way too much, but ah well.)

A squad of MI with 4 Moritas a hel infantry flamer and a holepunch missle at a size two target with a Target/Kill of 5/9, and a harmonic shields. The MI Roll

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, (moritas), 8 (missle) and 12 (really lucky with the flamer.)

First, we discard everything below a 5, as that does not even hit the target, this leaves us with;

5, 5, 6, 8, 12

Now, you roll one D10 for -each- dice, and you have to match or beat their dice roll to make their hit ineffective. For our example I'll put the harmonic shield rolls in () next to each roll. Say our Harmonic shield wielder rolls:

5 (7), 5 (4), 6 (7), 8 (10), 12

You don't bother to roll vs. the 12, since there is no chance to beat it with a single D10. In the above roll, you discard the 5, the 6, and the 8, as the lucky shield weilder managed to beat those individual rolls.

This means we are left with:

5, 12

So our target takes 1 hit, and 1 kill result.

If everything I've read is correct, this is how they work.

see i hope that is the correct method, as thats how i was planning on useing them.

so a quick question, do you roll all the dice altogether then allocate them to each hit ?

From what I've seen, you do not roll all the D10s, and then distribute, you roll a D10 vs each individual hit. I suppose if you went with the bulk rolling method though the game would go faster, but it would make the harmonic shield even more effective.

LaranosTZ said:
From what I've seen, you do not roll all the D10s, and then distribute, you roll a D10 vs each individual hit. I suppose if you went with the bulk rolling method though the game would go faster, but it would make the harmonic shield even more effectice.

Again, correct on all points!

yay, thanks matt and guys

can some one do a rewording of how the harmonic sheild works thats official, so every body uses the same method with it please. as the skinnie book wording vagueality has caused confusion amoung some of us, im glad to see it works the way i thought it would, but i never get on a pedastal on how things work as i can be wrong.

Mr Evil said:
msprange said:
Lorcan Nagle said:

Correct.

now im evan more confused as you just contradicted yourself i think ?

if you ignor bonus and bonus dice, how can you get an 11 ?

He just means for the purposes of rolling shield dice - you only roll 1D10 against a hit from a plasma bug assfire or a tanker spit (hoping to beat the total they rolled), even though the bug player rolls more than one dice for the hit.

Ah ha!!! Now I see where I was confused by all of this.

Matt, I am going to send you a PM about this to avoid adding any confusion to this topic, as it it finally making sense now. :D

msprange said:

I'm interpreting what's said above as applying to the total number of dice the harmonic shield rolls, not the number it rolls to beat or tie.

I believe Matt mentioned ignoring bonus damage dice so we would all know that the harmonic shield didn't get 2d10 just because one attack combines two dice.

For clarity:

If the attack from tanker spit rolls a d6 that comes up a 6 and a d10 that comes up a 7 would you

A) roll the harmonic shield's d10 hoping to beat or tie a 6 (the d6's result, since you ignore the bonus die's 7)
B) don't bother to roll the harmonic shield's d10 as it can't beat or tie a 13 (the sum of the two dice)
C) something else

Actually, you have it backwards. The tanker spit attack is D10+D6. This means that you only have to equal or beat the number rolled on the D10, not the D6; the D6 is completely ignored as far as the harmonic shield is concerned.

As another example, if the same tanker attacked in close combat (which is 3xD6+D10), then you would have to beat any of the D6 rolls that roll above the Target, but again ignore the D10 as this is the damage die. Let's say that the Tanker is attacking a Skinnie Tyrant in close combat and rolls on the D6 1, 3, and 4 while the D10 rolls a 9. This means that all of the damage dice easily hit (the Tyrant has a Target of 5+) but before you can hurt him, you need to get past the harmonic shield. This means that you roll 1D10 against the 1, 3, and 4, and any of them that you equal or exceed are ignored. In this case, the 1 is automatically ignored (since you can't roll lower than a 1 on a D10), a 10 is rolled against the 3, and an 8 is rolled against the 4. Both of these D10 rolls exceed the attack dice, so the Tyrant is completely unscathed.

The only question that I have now is would the Tyrant flinch? Technically, he never had to make an armor save, so I think that the answer is no, but I would love to know the official take Matt.

dyssnowman said:
Actually, you have it backwards. The tanker spit attack is D10+D6. This means that you only have to equal or beat the number rolled on the D10, not the D6; the D6 is completely ignored as far as the harmonic shield is concerned.

Ack. I knew one slip of the tongue would throw someone. What I meant is that the dice is ignored in terms of rolling the HS's own dice - it still counts as a bonus to the main D10, just as a flamer's +2 applies to its Damage Dice in terms of what the HS has to beat.

dyssnowman said:
The only question that I have now is would the Tyrant flinch? Technically, he never had to make an armor save, so I think that the answer is no, but I would love to know the official take Matt.

Rules as written - no armour save, no flinch!

Back