Hardback books and glossy paper

What sort of paper would you like to see in Mongoose hardback books?

• I like the glossy pages as they are. They rock!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the glossy pages just fine.

• Whatever. Just gimme my new books.

• I like non-glossy pages better, but I want glossy picture pages too!

• Gimme non-glossy pages! Those glossy pages are too hard to read!

• Total voters

Elfman

Mongoose
I really dislike the type of paper chosen by Mongoose in their latest hardback books, "Armageddon 2089" and "Babylon 5 RPG and Factbook"

Am I the only one out there who feels this way?

I would much rather see these books, and future books, printed on regular non-glossy paper. The glossy paper picks up fingerprints unless you wash your hands immediately prior to using them. In certain lighting conditions the glare makes it very difficult to read, and it just doesn't have the same "feel" as regular paper.

Now I don't want flimsy easily torn pages either, but there must be some sort of heavier weight non-gloss paper that can be used in the majority of their books?

What does everyone else think? And if enough people agree with me, is it too late to change for upcoming releases like Conan?

I voted for the last one, but I would not mind some glossy pages- such as the tech sheets in Arm2089. Those look very nice.

I agree with you on the paper- on both counts: fingerprints and it can be a strain to read during long periods. It would be fine for short periods and in-play, but I found as I tried to do a straight read through- my eyes would get tired.

I would prefer Conan on heavy paper, but if they could get it in the color of the old pulp books- that would be cool.

CR

I haven't noticed that the glossy pages in B5 pick up fingerprints. But the cover of 'The Coming of Shadows' picks them up really badly. While the non-glossy cover of 'The Fiery Trial' doesn't.

Hi guys,

We are way ahead of you ;)

Check out MWWG when it hits the stores (this week, actually). This is the new non-glossy paper all our colour books will now be using.

msprange said:
Hi guys,

We are way ahead of you ;)

Check out MWWG when it hits the stores (this week, actually). This is the new non-glossy paper all our colour books will now be using.

Not to be awkward but I for one love glossy pages and they're far more durable than normal paper.

The previously mentioned problem with print coming off them has much more to do with the moisture people exude than the deficient quality of the paper or printing itself.

Wouldn't glossy pages make more sense for MWWG, as this will help prevent 'adhersion' :lol:

Personally I don't care what papers used, as long as the quality is good and the price acceptable (though Glossy Black Cover is a devil for finger prints) :cry:

Neo said:
The previously mentioned problem with print coming off them has much more to do with the moisture people exude than the deficient quality of the paper or printing itself.

Err..huh? The previously mentioned problem was not pritn coming off- it was fingerprints going on. And that is hardly an uncommon issue- if three different people mention it here, and many others on other forums.

I look forward to checking out MWWG just to see what the paper selection will be like.

CR

Its a classic problem. Many of my lovely shiny black covered books have crime scene evidence of roleplaying on them....

Print in books should never come off (unlike newspaper) if even half decent quality ink and paper stock are used

coyraven said:
Neo said:

Err..huh? The previously mentioned problem was not pritn coming off- it was fingerprints going on. And that is hardly an uncommon issue- if three different people mention it here, and many others on other forums.

I look forward to checking out MWWG just to see what the paper selection will be like.

CR

sigh.. please think about your comment... your fingerprints can't go on UNLESS ink in the shape of your print comes off! this happens because the sweat and oils of your skin take the ink out of the page thereby leaving the print behind. fairly common sensical.

Still as you say I'm looking forward to checking out MWWG for my Renegade Nuns on Wheels fix and also to see what this mystery new paper type that will make both parties happy is.

Well I learned something to day.

I thought the print was actually made by the dirt, oils and grease on your fingers, and that it generally only shows on a reflective surface - Hence the way I can put my finger prints on a window, mirror, without removing any of the surface.

Still you live and learn

hassanisabbah said:
Well I learned something to day.

I thought the print was actually made by the dirt, oils and grease on your fingers, and that it generally only shows on a reflective surface - Hence the way I can put my finger prints on a window, mirror, without removing any of the surface.

Still you live and learn

It is in a round about way the sweat your secrete is slightly acidic which is why it leaves a print and comes off on your hands if you leave them in the same spot for too long, but this is hardly a major failing of glossy paper, which albeit slightly more susceptible is just as prone as ink on a non glossy page. Human sweat can even take dye out of material due to its acidity (sorry biology flashbacks combined with past experience working in a print shop heh).

But my point is its not so much the paper to blame as the hands that carry it.. and that is completely unavoidable, you just have to make sure your hands are dry and clean and not left in the same spot for too long.

hassanisabbah said:
Finger prints marks are gonna be the least of my worries for MWWG.....

hehe you may want to consider getting it laminated for easy wipe clean LOL

Could be a plan, just in case, hey mongoose why not do a limited edition, like for Dredd, but with laminated pages and tissue tube built in?

:shock: :lol:

I can't say I particularly care one way or the other, I just like it when the books come out, are pleasing to the eye, and don't have a load of typos in them.

Back