Happy Fortieth Birthday, Traveller!

Traveller was first published on the first day of the Origins Game Fair on Staten Island, which was July 22, 1977. On July 22, 2017, Traveller turned 40 years old. Wherever you are (unless you're off-planet that day), raise a toast to Marc Miller and his Little Black Books, and play a game of Traveller if you can!

I still have my 1977 edition I bought in 1979. Second RPG (D&D was first as it was the one in the news all the time) and first Scifi RPG I came to own. The game and I are almost attached at the hip ever since.

Reynard said:
I still have my 1977 edition I bought in 1979. Second RPG (D&D was first as it was the one in the news all the time) and first Scifi RPG I came to own. The game and I are almost attached at the hip ever since.

Pretty much the same here, except Runequest might be the 2nd RPG I bought and Traveller the 3rd. I still have the RQ2 hardbound book as well, and RQ is attached to my other hip.

Although I kind of dismissed the setting back in the day for being so thin, and for the two dimensional space map, the setting is what has given Traveller it's longevity.

I've been an on and off player since I first came across the original three book set, some time between its release and the arrival of the first supplement in stores.

I was first introduced to Traveller in 1980/81. I was in 8th grade, about a year after I was introduced to the D&D basic set.

Back