Hammer's Slammers - Please Share Your Opinion

Shadow4ce

Mongoose
As a big fan of Hammer's Slammers back in the 80's, and a player of Traveller since the very first edition came out back in the day, including the mini game Striker, I would like to know from those who have already read the new rulebook (especially those who know the Slammers universe from David Drake's books)...

"What do you think of it? Did MGP get it right?"

Thank you in advance. Let the reviews begin.

I picked it up at Origins and read it over the weekend.

I like it!

My only nitpick is some of the artwork. It's good, but some it seems out of place: Steuben and Ranson's character pictures have them wearing business suits! (Hardly Slammer's regulation.)

Mark A. Siefert said:

I like it!

My only nitpick is some of the artwork. It's good, but some it seems out of place: Steuben and Ranson's character pictures have them wearing business suits! (Hardly Slammer's regulation.)

lol, maybe it is for when they meet new clients (all while still having a plan to kill them of course). "Sign here, and we'll fight for ya. Don't sign and we'll be back in our normal attire."

Thanks Mark,

Anybody else pick this book up? Nearly 90 views and only one response. I thought there were more Hammer fans out there. (Waits for the inevitable M.C. Hammer fanboi to chime in...). :p

I'm supporting my FLGS and have ordered through them, on the other hand it sometimes feels like their distributor uses specially trained snails for doing deliveries :lol:

Chris D-W

Mark A. Siefert said:

I like it!

They're wearing their Patron Catchers. :)

I picked it up at Dragonmeet SW.

Overall I love it. Powerguns are so nasty, I can't wait to run a game of it.

I did notice a glaring Copy-n-Paste error in that a lot of "cash" was replaced with "CR" i.e. cashiered becomes CRiered.

Arakor said:
I did notice a glaring Copy-n-Paste error in that a lot of "cash" was replaced with "CR" i.e. cashiered becomes CRiered.

That's more likely a Find-and-Replace error than a Copy-and-Paste one, but I know what you mean. I'll keep an eye out for it.

LBH

Origins was Hammers Central. Was a good time as a group being able to run that game. Even the DOD War College loved it.

Got to say thanks to all the folks that showed up to play in Kevin's Slammers events. I was however having to hold up the rest of the Traveller product line so, didn't get much hammers Slammers in myself till the Midnight Games for the Infantry.

So, we're tossing even more Slammers into the mix for Gencon, and opening up the throttle for generic ticket pick up games as well for the entire Traveller Line, since these Cons, have completely forgotten how to schedule anything correctly.

So it's going to be a Hammer and Friends free for all this Gencon. Bring your Generic Tickets, and your Gear, spin up the fans and lets roll some thunder.

Hope to see you all there.

~Rex

The Black Hand, Mongoose Infantry.

I picked HS up at Origins (along with Psion). It's a really nice book. I'm a huge Slammers fan, and I think Mongoose has done a great job with it.

I like the book. I've talked my GM to allow powerguns in our game. We haven't gotten into a fight since then, though...

I would have preferred to have more listings for specific tech levels for armor and equipment. it's there for the weapons, but not much else.

Sevya

Sevya said:
I would have preferred to have more listings for specific tech levels for armor and equipment. it's there for the weapons, but not much else.

Good point. I'll write a list up, although it should be easy enough to extrapolate from the core rulebook/Central Supply.

Rex said:
So, we're tossing even more Slammers into the mix for Gencon, and opening up the throttle for generic ticket pick up games as well for the entire Traveller Line, since these Cons, have completely forgotten how to schedule anything correctly.

So it's going to be a Hammer and Friends free for all this Gencon. Bring your Generic Tickets, and your Gear, spin up the fans and lets roll some thunder.
Any idea on the schedule yet?

I baught the book because I thought it would be compatable with my Traveller campaign. The best tank in MGT has an armour of 18. In Slammers they are around 130 armour. It doesn't look like I will be able to plug it into my campaign. Taken on a stand alone basis, I think it's great.

hedgy said:
I baught the book because I thought it would be compatable with my Traveller campaign. The best tank in MGT has an armour of 18. In Slammers they are around 130 armour. It doesn't look like I will be able to plug it into my campaign. Taken on a stand alone basis, I think it's great.

Military Vehicles has tanks with armour >18.

Paladin said:
Rex said:

Any idea on the schedule yet?

Almost done with it but you will be able to find more then enough Slammers Pick Up games. I plan on running Traveller stuff ( Third Imperium, Slammers, Dredd, B5, and any other challenge I can think of, leaning towards either Forever War, or Cowboy BeBop) until I pass out.

More then a few of them are up already on the Gencon Event Site.

So there won't be a shortage of Traveller Games this year. Last year, I ran roughly 16 Hours a Day. Just to much fun to run it, the table always jumps up happy and runs for the exhibit hall to buy the books.

~Rex

To return to the topic the only thing my team decided (When you sit there with Mongoose Infantry Shirts on folks expect you to have answers), was that the Buzzbomb damage was a typo, so you add a 1 before or a 0 after the number printed (there is space for either, regardless the damage HAS to be more otherwise Tank Crews would just Ignore the things not be worried about them).

Not sure if that has been addressed in an Errata yet or not to busy with work and con prep to double check.

Second, we decided to use Belly hit locations to represent Skirt Hits. Those familiar with the books know why you need to consider a Skirt Hit, and it functions exceptionally well in play.

Folks should think of the movie Sahara (The Bogart Movie, NOT the *shudder* "new one", and bring some friends and Generics.

One of the things I like the most about the Slammers setting is you can run Small groups (just enough for a tank), Large Groups, short games, or campaigns.

Tile next.

~Rex

I'm not too far into the book yet, but I think it does a great job of capturing the Slammers universe so far. I'm very happy with it from that perspective. Next I'll be looking more into the crunch aspects. Rex's notes are of significant interest there.

saundby said:
I'm not too far into the book yet,

Neither am I. However, I've been looking for a space map (like the OTU map you get in Spinward Marches) and cannot find a proper map - I don't think that the diagram on page 11 is a proper map.

For instance... how many jumps does it take to travel from Kronstad to Monument?

I'm somewhat surprised that people haven't commented on the piss poor extremely pixelated graphics ... purpose drawn pictures that one would have thought Mongoose would have either ordered the right resolution to fit, or would have put in at an unpixelated size :? :? :?

The rules and background are fine, the quality of the book ... aristically ... tends towards poor ... you'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson after Traveller Bab5 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Phil

We didn't have an issue with the graphics actually, but then myself and everyone on the Black hand Team, have and play the Slammers Miniature game, and have all the books, and the Art had the right "feel" for us old slammers geeks at the table.

My Art gripe was that the helmet isn't correct in the gear (though in one of the pictures you can clearly see, the chrome fishbowl which is the correct "version"), and that the ground penetrating rockets are not shown on the cut away.

As for the overly pixilated disparaging art. I'm not really seeing it. Point out some pages for me and I'll go take another look.

~Rex

Back