Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

UncleBear

Mongoose
Got the book for Christmas. Haven't read it or seen the National Geographic special, but I had a thought that it could be useful source material for a Hyborean campaign. Howard's basic concept of barbarians as civilization builders, conquering corrupt civilizations until they, in turn, became corrupt and are wiped out by the next wave of barbarians rising, is a theme I want to play with in my campaign.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the usefulnss of GG&S for at least some color or plot hooks? I.e., these events occured in a corrupt civilization, and would translated to X, these happened in a rising civilization, and could take place in X Hyborean nation?

The book “Collapse” by the same author (Jared Diamond) would be useful as well; it deals with the reasons for the fall of certain civilizations with specific examples

UncleBear said:
Howard's basic concept of barbarians as civilization builders, conquering corrupt civilizations until they, in turn, became corrupt and are wiped out by the next wave of barbarians rising, is a theme I want to play with in my campaign.

Well, it is THE theme of the Conan tales (Kull ones' too), and so all the rpg revolves around it. What Howard talks about in the tales is that barbarians have a greater will (remember the Code of Honor rules) and are moraly and mentaly stronger that the weaker civilized peoples. Since they are not decadent, they are more fit for survival and their choices will make then excel. The barbarians will conquer the civilized nations and so does Conan, which "conquers" the greatest hyborian nation, becoming it's king. And then rules more fairly and "democratic" (or almost, better for the plain peoples), than civilized kings.

So, if you play a Conan campaign you'll be playing what you're asking for, by default.

About plot hooks and so, since the western hyborian continent is conquered later by the barbarian picts, you need Across Thunder River. There comes much info to play those troubled times, and see through the fall of civilization.

Thanks for all those interesting books everyone is recommending; I'll try to get and read them all!

Hey, I've got this book, too! It's been a while since I read it. Now that I'm getting into the Conan RPG, I should crack it open again. It's a great book.

UncleBear said:
Got the book for Christmas. Haven't read it or seen the National Geographic special, but I had a thought that it could be useful source material for a Hyborean campaign. Howard's basic concept of barbarians as civilization builders, conquering corrupt civilizations until they, in turn, became corrupt and are wiped out by the next wave of barbarians rising, is a theme I want to play with in my campaign.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the usefulnss of GG&S for at least some color or plot hooks? I.e., these events occured in a corrupt civilization, and would translated to X, these happened in a rising civilization, and could take place in X Hyborean nation?

Some Spoiler about the GG&S book to follow ...

I read the book a few years ago and while it is interesting, i'm not so sure how useful the material it discusses will be in a Conan campaign. The book mainly discussed the impact of accidents of geography and how this affected the distribution of plant and animal species useful to humanity and how this further impacted on the development of technology and society. One of the big criticisms of the book is how it does not really address the impact that particular social institutions or individuals within those societies can affect the technological development of said society.

Evil_Trevor said:
The book(s) I would recomend are the series The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon...
Hey, I've had these books for a few years and am just beginning them now! (So many books I've picked up, such a slow reader). :eek:

Back