GRAV plates and Grav Pong

The distinction between an Inertial Compensator and Grav Plates is something that I use - obviously Traveller has not provided that level of detail in MGT.

I see the IC as being the unusually low (imnsho) acceleration rates of the M-Drive. 6G's from TL8-15 makes not logical sense without SOMETHING holding it back. IC is that limit for me.

Inertial Compensation creates a field around an object/ship that ensure every single sub-atomic particle within that field moves at exactly the same Velocity (Speed and Direction) as that of the creating device. It is not a limitation, but an addition to whatever normal movement the objects have within that field, so it doesn't freeze everything it just adds the same Velocity to everything. Thus high-G maneuvers are possible without crushing everything against a bulkhead. Via (severe handwaving) it is not possible to create a field stronger than a certain value (tied to the universal constant for Gravity) [Stop looking too close - go back to rolling dice! :) ].

Thus a ship under Acceleration with an M-Drive and everything aboard it feels NOTHING from the acceleration; but there is a limit to how much acceleration the field can control, thus the G-limit of the M-Drive even at high Tech Levels.

Artificial Gravity (Gravity Plates) is a different but related technology that allows regions between those plates to have their local gravity/acceleration changed. Basically the total acceleration value is still there, but the G-plates allow the VECTOR of that acceleration to be changed as desired. SO, you have a 3-G gravity pointing at 150-degrees off-axis? The plates adjust so that everything between the plates feels a 1G acceleration "downward". It does this by redirecting the other 2-G acceleration forces into opposite directions (1-g up and 1-g down) so that they negate each other.

BY DESIGN, these plates only move the gravity forces slowly so that objects (people) don't get hurt when they change. So you may flip a switch in your stateroom to go from 0G for sleeping to 1G down when awake, but it takes several seconds for the fields to change so you don't go crashing to the floor. This delay is both computer controlled and a built in feature (think gravity capacitors) that cause the changes to take time. With decent Gravitic rolls, these features can be overridden, but it takes effort and must be done to each gravity plate (thus it also takes time).

That's my version and it seems to work well in play as the Gravity Pong is still possible, but takes time and effort for the Character's to do it; adding roleplaying possibilities.

Condottiere said:
Gravimetric Distorter: This weapon creates a distortion field that negates the effect of grav plating. Each gravimetric distorter can effect an area equivalent to one hundred tons of displacement ... This means all crew and items in the area will be subject to zero gravity conditions, unless the ship expends thrust in which case they will be subject to high gravity conditions ... The effect lasts for one round. These weapons are more commonly used by pirates than naval forces although dedicated boarding parties do sometimes make use of them.

This suppresses all forms of gravitational effects, though it's unclear if the effect is directly on the machinery, or on the fields, since if the the manoeuvre drive is creating the inertial compensation field, the manoeuvre drive is in most cases not likely to be within the area of effect of the distortion field.

Since the manoeuvre drive manipulates gravity to create thrust, in theory, aiming the distorter at the engineering section might shut down the manoeuvre drive.

Condottiere said:
How does the crew survive reaction rockets?

With potentially sixteen additional gees.

Well, the idea was developed back in the old days of 6-G limits. I would just up the limit of the Inertial Compensator to whatever you want. Alternately, you DON'T change it and require special Acceleration Couches for everyone. 16-G acceleration with 6-G IC means internal acceleration is 10-G. That will knock out most humans and if sustained for more than a couple minutes would lead to permanent damage... High Tech acceleration couches would be a way to compensate for that, but would NOT be fun. Might be an interesting side-effect for your game.

Joe Haldeman's "Forever War" had special acceleration tanks that could handle dozens of G's. Not sure that fits the Traveller paradigm, but is an example of what COULD be possible.

Personally, I think the important thing is to include Consequences for those high-G ships that help limit them to a military vessel. Passengers are NOT going to accept more than 1G (adjusted for their local gravity), so Afterburners etc. are not going to be found on a non-military ship.

The very first thing this made me think of is the old D&D spell "reverse gravity" (which apparently still exists in some form in more current versions, cf. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reverseGravity.htm ).

Or, someone read through too much of Tomb of Horrors or some other ancient D&D tome ;)

Here's a thought.

The spaceship pilot forgets to switch off artificial gravity when entering a planetary atmosphere.

Everyone onboard is now subject to two gravities.

The pilot decides to fly upside down.

You now have two opposing gravitational forces, which is equal, means the passengers are now in free float mode.

Back