Grav Plates Repair

Shadowblayde99

Banded Mongoose
Hello

Can the grav plates from an air raft be used to repair the grav plates for a spaceship?

Assuming no access to a space port.

Thanks.

As a general answer I would say no, because an air/raft is a vehicle and much smaller than a spaceship. But it all depends on what has to be repaired. Assuming "grav plates" means the ones that generate artificial gravity for the crew a small section might be repaired with salvaged parts from an air/raft.
Keep in mind a possible gap in Tech Levels as well.

Last edited:
Depends on whether parts are compatible, and because they have differing effects, I don't think so.

star-trek-scotty.gif

Are you asking if grav plates from an air/raft used for lift/drive could be adapted to a starship for the same thing? One of the uses for grav plates for a ship though is to provide artificial gravity internally.

So I'd say you could use an air/raft anti-grav emitter for the same thing for a ship, but they could not provide a grav field internally. Lift is the same, just a difference is mass. Making it possible to walk around in normal gravity is entirely different and most likely would not work (though without physics and engineering specs, it's really up to the ref).

There are three different but linked technologies involved here.

The nul-grav modules that provide lift and thrust for the air raft

The grav plates of a ship that produce the artificial gravity that attracts things to the floor of the ship

The inertial compensators or acceleration compensators that counteract "lateral g-forces"

There are three different but linked technologies involved here.

• The nul-grav modules that provide lift and thrust for the air raft
  • The grav plates of a ship that produce the artificial gravity that attracts things to the floor of the ship
  • The inertial compensators or acceleration compensators that counteract "lateral g-forces"

But the last two could be the same thing. If the entire interior of the ship is enclosed in grav-plating, inertial compensation merely becomes the application of grav-plating in vector-directions opposite to the acceleration of the ship (and synchronized with the drive) over and above the "1.0g-down" standard.

With a properly programmed anti-hijacking system, this allows playing "grav-pong" with intruders as well. ;)

I'd say that, on their own, a grav vehicle's plates aren't large or strong enough. But they can be adapted.

If you dig into wider Traveller design sequences grav plates and acceleration compensation are separate systems to be accounted for.

Back