Gas giant depths?

Randal

Mongoose
Morning All.

Does anyone know anything about gas giants? I am trying to get am idea of what the pressure and temperature would be in the top of the extreme deep zone.

Jupiter has a 'sea level' where the pressure is 1 atm at about 1000Km depth into its atmosphere and I'm trying to work out how that equates to the zones defined in the Companion on p155.

Thanks

T5 goes into quite some detail regarding gas giant atmospheres, far as I know that’s the most developed info out there for Traveller.

Perhaps you could just define a demarcation as ‘sea level’? I’d go with ‘Deep’ being 1 Atm pressure. Not sure how to develop temperature info tho.

I'm not certain how to translate into Companion 'zones; but these two charts are helpful

Jupiter:
Structure_of_Jovian_atmosphere.png

Uranus:
Tropospheric_profile_Uranus_new.svg

Scales aren't consistent, though.
For Jupiter, 1 bar (atmosphere) = 101,325 Pa
And for Uranus 1 bar = 1000 mbar

So I guess the main question is what are you looking for in all the data here? Crush depth or some other important factor in a gaming sense?
One of the real dangers, if you can call it that, in Traveller is that it's pretty easy to get too deep into the science of whatever subject. If you're arguing heterodyne wavelengths in laser rifles, you're probably over-thinking it... :D :shock:
From a strictly gaming point of view, 'crush depth' or any other environmental effect simply is what you say it is as the referee. Issues like this are meant to challenge players, not kill them, so you don't really have to go into what the hull pressure rating for a 50 year old crystaliron hull is.

Thanks for the replies! I've been looking at those diagrams and trying to fit the Traveller companion's gas giant zoning to them.

Basically I am trying to work out with loose stretchy science whether a Traveller could stand on their starship (in a vacc suit) in the top of the extreme deep zone ignoring the fact that the howling gales blowing would blow them off.

Pressure is the problem, I can science-away about 6 atms (gas-mixes, decompression) but if its 10s or 100s of atmospheres that's hard to explain and I want the Travellers to be able to get out onto their ship and have a running battle against squelchy gas giant faunas.

I might go with 3 atms and hope no-one notices...

Try Traveller Companion, page 155, Gas Giant Operations. Seriously, avoid the Abyssal Depths.

Back