Gary Gygax's Necropolis

bolen

Mongoose
Has anyone written up a conversion of this adventure to conan?

I know someone (Uncle Bear maybe) wrote a log of his adventure. I am looking for stats?

bolen said:

I know someone (Uncle Bear maybe) wrote a log of his adventure. I am looking for stats?

Maybe here:

http://unclebear.com/downloads/eternalhouse.pdf

bolen said:

All of my assorted general D20/Conan conversion notes are at http://unclebear.com/downloads/

I was going to write a conversion, but found there really wasn't a way to do so without violating fair use of Necropolis. I'm continuing to revise my unified conversion document, which will help convert any D20 fantasy material to the OGL used by Conan, and will post it when I get around to completing it.

UncleBear said:
... I was going to write a conversion, but found there really wasn't a way to do so without violating fair use of Necropolis. I'm continuing to revise my unified conversion document, which will help convert any D20 fantasy material to the OGL used by Conan, and will post it when I get around to completing it.
Is the conversion difficult between OGL Conan and D&D3.0?

In a nutshell:

To convert published stats from D20 to Conan, you need to drop AC, calculate DR, Dodge Parry and Magic Attack Bonus. One of my docs has chart sfor that, but it needs revision. I put it on a GM screen panel so I can refer to it on the fly.

For monsters, increase hit die by one type -- d6 becomes d8, d8 becomes d10, etc.

To avoid having to rewrite every spellcaster in a published adventure into a scholar, I use the Grim Tales magic system. The Conan-modified version of that is also on my website. Cross off an spells that don't feel right.

Flush all magic items down the toilet.

Try to keep the number of sorcerers down to one per adventure -- use Fate Points to keep bringing him back rather havng five different magic-using bad guys.

All humanoids (elves, orcs, dwarves, etc) are humans.

I leave D&D classes alone, but while GMing refer to the character by the Conan equivalent -- you meet a ranger and I tell you the character has the air of a Borderer, fighters are Soldiers, etc. Strip out paranormal class abilities.

Keep monster encounters down to one supernatural creature per adventure. Usually demons or abberations. Replace all other monsters with animals -- lions, bears, snakes, whatever works in context. When I ran Necropolis, I replaced a pack of werecreatures with a band of thieves in masks pretending to be werecreatures, and freaked the players out.

Magical traps usually need to be replaced with non-magical ones, and some traps that seem too high-tech also need to be scaled down. If you've got a good book of traps lying around, bookmark ones that seem right for Conan.

I read the Grim Tales system. An E.R. Burroughs-like campaign was even released out recently. It seems good but quite too SF-oriented for a Conan game.

And my other (ignorant) question is: are there many differences between D&D3.0 and 3.5?

The King said:
I read the Grim Tales system. An E.R. Burroughs-like campaign was even released out recently. It seems good but quite too SF-oriented for a Conan game.

Agreed. The only thing I swiped was the magic system, and adapted it.

The King said:
And my other (ignorant) question is: are there many differences between D&D3.0 and 3.5?

In terms of converting material to Conan? No.

Back