Gamesmaster Shield

estarriol

Mongoose
What is the monster on the cover? Its the same one as is on the cover of the Glorantha book, it has large ears and what looks like a small trunk nose....

Hard to say exactly, but I would guess a Tusk Rider (half-troll). IIRC, they are pretty much unique to Dragon Pass.

There is a fair amount of info on them and their Cult of the Bloody Tusk if you dig through the old source material.

That could be. I could see it being someone's interpretation of a troll too, though it's a bit more piglike than the traditional troll pictures. (Are tuskriders that big? I thought they split the difference between a troll and a human in size.)

I'd only seen the Glorantha book before and assumed it was a troll, but there's a lot less face showing there.

RMS said:
I could see it being someone's interpretation of a troll too, though it's a bit more piglike than the traditional troll pictures. (Are tuskriders that big? I thought they split the difference between a troll and a human in size.)

I thought it might have been a troll as well because of the size.

It *could* be Aram-ya-Udram in a stretch (or more likey a great Tusk Rider Hero).

It is daylight, and they are up in some ice filled mountains. Mythically it could be one of the ancient trolls in the trek across Valind's glacier.

The creature looks to civilzed to be a Cave Troll. I suppose it could be a Great Troll.

Gloranthan art is tricky -- unless you have an artist that is really familiar with the setting, you really have to hold hands.

Cover art especially is tricky. I wish I had a link to it still, but I remember reading an interview with a very well-known book jacket artist, and he was talking about how you almost never get a detailed explanation of what it is you are actually being commissioned to do the artwork for. He said he might get a brief paragraph that was supposed to sum up an entire book, which, of course, he hasn't had the chance to read yet (assuming even then he has time to do so), as by that time the book hasn't been finalized. :)

I can easily imagine the artist being given here a quick description for the art: "A human fighter in golden armor, sword and shield is fighting against a huge grey-skinned troll with tusks and a heavy stone maul. They are fighting against the backdrop of an icy mountaintop, with a giant carved skull and an army of goat-men."

Then again, considering the fact that on the Glorantha book, there does appear to be an army of broo coming up the side, perhaps the Big Bad Monster is some sort of boar-based broo? :)

Urox said:
RMS said:
I could see it being someone's interpretation of a troll too, though it's a bit more piglike than the traditional troll pictures. (Are tuskriders that big? I thought they split the difference between a troll and a human in size.)

I thought it might have been a troll as well because of the size.

It *could* be Aram-ya-Udram in a stretch (or more likey a great Tusk Rider Hero).

It is daylight, and they are up in some ice filled mountains. Mythically it could be one of the ancient trolls in the trek across Valind's glacier.

The creature looks to civilzed to be a Cave Troll. I suppose it could be a Great Troll.

Gloranthan art is tricky -- unless you have an artist that is really familiar with the setting, you really have to hold hands.

If its a pig snouted, floppy eared troll, then I am not happy.....

Trolls are the defining creature in RQ, big intelligent organised none human, they are one of the things that defined RQ as different.

I thought about tuskriders but they are small, and no tusker in sight.

Someone at Mongoose Hall must know what it is.

Ugh... me no like

The Glorantha book's cover art is pretty horrible. The troll(?) is clearly tipping over because it has tried to use a paving stone as a hammer, and the "swordsman" has learned all he needed to learn from watching a Manowar consert.

Reminds me of Metal Öpera:

http://harlekin-maus.com/games/metalopera/metalopera.html

The guy should have a huge axe instead, and hold it the wrong way around to complete the heavy metal look.

Blech. At least the Rune Quest book's cover is a bit more original. Even there the artist could have made a bit more effort with the rune stones,

If the thing on the cover looks like anything, I'd say it looks like a yeti. Parhaps it's supposed to be some God of Winter, or some other powerful entity like that (but not a troll, trolls aren't hairy).

andakitty said:
I am of the sad and no doubt unpopular view that it is indeed a troll...
Hopefully someone from Mongoose can post the art description and clear this up...

Wow, once again I am stunned by the importance so many are putting into a simple bit of artwork. Reagrdless of whether it's supposed to be a troll or not, it's just one artist's impression of what the creature -- whetever it is -- looks like.

Lord knows we've seen significant changes in how things from RQ have been illustrated by varying artists over the last thirty-odd years. I fail to see how yet one more artist's interpretation will have any real impact on the game itself. :)

SteveMND said:
Wow, once again I am stunned by the importance so many are putting into a simple bit of artwork. Reagrdless of whether it's supposed to be a troll or not, it's just one artist's impression of what the creature -- whetever it is -- looks like.

Lord knows we've seen significant changes in how things from RQ have been illustrated by varying artists over the last thirty-odd years. I fail to see how yet one more artist's interpretation will have any real impact on the game itself. :)

Not on the game, but it may effect the sales quite a bit. The cover is the commercial for the book, and this one says "bulk fantasy"* to me.

*hmm... does that mean it's troll erotica?

"Not on the game, but it may effect the sales quite a bit"

Maybe, but I rather seriously doubt it. RQ diehards are going to typically fall into one of two camps when they see the actual rules, and I really doubt the cover art will have much of any say on their purchase (or not) thereof.

As to the potential consumers who know nothing about RQ, well, they know nothing about RQ, so I don't see where an image that is 'closer' to how some people envision RQ is going to be any different than this one to them...?

Urox said:
andakitty said:
I am of the sad and no doubt unpopular view that it is indeed a troll...
Hopefully someone from Mongoose can post the art description and clear this up...

They could...

I'm quite interested in what else will be in it. Nearly all GM's screens are a waste of paper, time and money. All of which could all have been better spent on a scenario.

SteveMND said:
"Not on the game, but it may effect the sales quite a bit"

Maybe, but I rather seriously doubt it. RQ diehards are going to typically fall into one of two camps when they see the actual rules, and I really doubt the cover art will have much of any say on their purchase (or not) thereof.

As to the potential consumers who know nothing about RQ, well, they know nothing about RQ, so I don't see where an image that is 'closer' to how some people envision RQ is going to be any different than this one to them...?

I'm not thinking of people who already know about RQ. I'm thinking about those sales where the cover and/or name of the product makes one reach for the book and think about buying it.

Here's an example of what I think of as a good cover. It sure worked for me, I picked up the book because of what the name and cover seemed to suggest, and was pleased with the result:

http://www.songe.fr/weblog/images/lace.jpg

In comparison, the new Glorantha book's cover wouldn't get me interested. It would make me think of crappy generic D&D fantasy.

Back