Game Number 2 today and hopefully number 3

GalagaGalaxian said:
Well, more torps just makes that one lucky shot more likely. Thats the nastiest photon we've seen yet after a half-dozen + games with the Flat-tops.

Ummm...Law of average's mean those lucky torpedoe's aren't that lucky when you add enough of them.

24 torps, 8 of them hit. 4 of them shield penetratings. That's 16 hits which results in 2.6666666 devastating +1 crits.

That's no luck. That's pure math.

If you aren't getting long range photon crits more than 2.66 per 24 torpedoe's then that's below average rolling which will even out in the long run.

Lincolnlog said:
Okay, wait a sec. We have obviously been rolling for criticals incorrectly. Each damage point of blow through rolls on the damage table or each hit. We've been playing each hit. Thats what is not figuring up here. Bob
Let's say you fire 4AD of Photons. You roll 3,4,5,6, so two misses, one hit for four points of shield damage (due to Multi-Hit 4) from the "5" roll, and four points by-pass shields on the "6" roll. You then roll four dice, where every "1" is "bulkhead" (no effect), and every "6" is a critical. Because of the Devastating +1, any critical hit is doubled, doing both level 1 and level 2 critical effects (if no previous crits).

Make sense?

We were applying the Devastating +1. But instead of 4 dice on the damage table we looked at it as one hit. So a roll of 1 all 4 damage went to bulkhead. Gaaa, that game would have ended much differently if we had done this correctly. By the way we were making the same mistake with Phasers in Kill Zone, both points of damage equaled 1 roll on the Damage table.

Well, the next game is going to verrrrrrrry interesting!

Lincolnlog said:
Okay, wait a sec. We have obviously been rolling for criticals incorrectly. Each damage point of blow through rolls on the damage table or each hit. We've been playing each hit. Thats what is not figuring up here.

Bob

If the attack Dice rolls a 6 the hits associated with that dice go through the shield.

A Photon has 1 AD, if that dice is a 6 the entire multihit 4 goes through. The same with disruptors on multihit two and Phaser’s in the kill zone.

The use of weapons that hit causing multiple hits of damage is confusing (bad mongoose), its probably easier to think of them as damage not hits so a photon rolls its attack dice, if it hits it then does 4 damage. If the to hit roll is a natural 6 it penetrates the shield and you roll for each of the four points of damage suffered on the hull.

Because of the natural 6 being a shield penetration Photons are nasty at long range since half of your hits do damage to the hull and ignore the shield, annoys the klinks no end.

Bear in mind though that the klinks are doing it in return since the Disruptor also goes through shields on a natural 6. With the Klinks though since they hit on a 4+ at long range only a third of those two damage disruptor hits goes through. At 24” :twisted:

Lincolnlog said:
We were applying the Devastating +1. But instead of 4 dice on the damage table we looked at it as one hit. So a roll of 1 all 4 damage went to bulkhead. Gaaa, that game would have ended much differently if we had done this correctly. By the way we were making the same mistake with Phasers in Kill Zone, both points of damage equaled 1 roll on the Damage table.

Maybe now you can see more sense with the idea of long range photon firing :)

It sure makes huge difference whether you roll once or 4 times on the bulkhead/solid/critical hit table. 4 times the chance to get the critical hit! And of course less random compared to one roll which either results in 0 damage, 4 damage or 4 critical hits(if we roll once and apply result 4 times) as more dices=average's even up faster.

tneva82 said:
Lincolnlog said:

Maybe now you can see more sense with the idea of long range photon firing :)

It sure makes huge difference whether you roll once or 4 times on the bulkhead/solid/critical hit table. 4 times the chance to get the critical hit! And of course less random compared to one roll which either results in 0 damage, 4 damage or 4 critical hits(if we roll once and apply result 4 times) as more dices=average's even up faster.

Definitely,

I hit with one long range photon spread with 2 6's and 1 went bulkhead, the other was normal damage. I should have rolled 8 damage dice. Would hve changed that entire round. :shock:

Lincolnlog said:

I feel your confusion. I think it's best to look at the rolls as a progression/flow chart:

Target shields >0:
=============

roll each AD -> <6 -> x multihit -> subtract from shields

roll each AD -> 6 -> x multihit -> roll each hit -> tally crit, as needed

Target shields at 0:
==============

roll each AD -> x multihit -> roll each hit -> tally crit, as needed

...this isn't normalized correctly because it doesn't illustrate how to treat multihits depleting shields to zero and hitting structure within the same attack, but it gets the point across.

FWIW, on his first game with a Fed DN my son figured out how to turtle in a corner of the map and use that fat, map-wide frontal arc to hammer approaching D6's and C7's with his torps and drones, using his FFG and CA in motion on the flanks to keep the Klinks spinning (600pt game).

Staying beyond torp range and sticking to disruptors was a nail-biter.

(and, by all means, if I have this wrong...)

tneva82 said:
Ummm...Law of average's mean those lucky torpedoe's aren't that lucky when you add enough of them.

Of course it is Math and Averages. :p However, when your opponent watches that Statistically-likely shield-penetrating Critical that blows apart his Command Cruiser like the HMS Hood, his cry will not be "Damn you probability!" it'll be "You got lucky, you! Arrrghh!" :lol:

scoutdad said:
Nice photos.
Even nicer special action markers!!! :roll:

Thanks, Matt took the photos with his phone. The table we were playing on is built like a sand table to prevent pieces from falling on the floor. Caused some ussues with my black felt surface, couldn't pull the wrinkles out, and looks funky on the sides.

I clear coated the SA markers with clear styrene on both sides, and now can't cut out the notches without destroying the markers. For larger games don't have enough either. So will make more and not coat them.

Try this...

I printed 16 sheets (32 full sets) and then did a poor mans lamination on them.

I bought a roll of clear (not frosted, but clear) contact paper / shelf liner / etc. from Walmart.
cut off enough to stretch across your table and reverse roll it to flatten it out. Peel the backing and lay it on the table - STICKY SIDE UP!!!!!
Place the printed sheets on it and press to flatten.
Next, trim them down to individual sheets.
Again, cut off contact paper, reverse roll, peel the backing, and place on the table sticky side up.
Now apply the printed sheets to the contact paper again - but on the reverse side.

Now you have special action tokens that you can cut out and when you do, they will have clear laminate on both sides.

Thanks, Tony. I was trying to figure out a way to laminate the special action tokens I'd downloaded. :) That might just be the ticket.

Yeah, used to do that with maps in the Army, so they would fold up into your map case and tou could use grease pencil on them.

Had to be very careful with entire mapsheets, these would be way simpler. Going to Hobby Lobby tonight will pick some up.

Getting some foam balls to turn into planets also.

Another quick way to get some planets: I found these foam balls in the toy department of the local Wal Mart. I cut them in half with a hand saw and then glued felt to the bottom so that the foam would not 'shed'.

Back