Gaining skill levels in events - clarification needed

spacedGhost

Mongoose
Hi all,

Just in the process of creating our first bunch of characters and we just had one thing that came up that we could not agree a satisfactory answer to. It was the the number 10 Scout event which stated:

"If you succeed, gain a Contact in an alien race and one level in any skill of your choice."

What happens if you pick a skill you don't already have? Is that skill level 0 like basic training and background skills, or does it start at level 1 like career skills?

The confusion came because the player wanted to choose Jack of All Trades, which has no effect at level 0, but the rules do refer to 0 as being a 'skill level'.

IIRC there's mention in the rulebook that unless specifically told otherwise skill gives 1 if you don't have it or improve it by 1 if you haven't. Therefore one would presume 1.

Since it does not say gain "1" in any skill, but actually denotes one skill level you go to Level 0 in any one skill.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Despite a few missing limbs and some particularly withered characteristics, we are looking forward to starting this weekend. :D

Mongoose Steele said:
Since it does not say gain "1" in any skill, but actually denotes one skill level you go to Level 0 in any one skill.
So the Training Event only takes you to zero and not to 1? Yet all the other Events that I can think of that give skills give them at a level 1?

I hope I do not offend, but I think the Event either needs to be rewritten for clarity or your call needs to be re-thought out. I have never liked inconsistency in how things are handled.

Daniel

Its no different than rolling the additional levels in your Career skills. No number is present (Survival instead of Survival 1), so it only raises by one level.

The semantics are the key.

"Raise by one level" means that it goes from unskilled to 0, 0 to 1, etc.

"Raise to Level 1" means that the skill will go from unskilled or 0 to 1, but gain no benefit if you are higher than 0.

It might be an issue with consistency on that Event table, but to the overall rules set it is a constant. :)

Make better sense now?

-Bry

No...your first term skills start at 0.
You need to think of skill levels as if 0 is 1 in other games. If you don't have a skill you incur a -3 penalty, so by having a 0 in a skill it means you have some training in that field.

Never Mind, I just went back and re-read all of the Event Tables. It is consistant with the rules. I was wrong. :oops:

The Event Tables clearly state either "Raise one level in a skill you already have" or "Raise one skill to level 1".

Thanks

Daniel

Back