Future Traveller - Suggestions Appreciated

Players that use their phones at the table tend to remain on their phones during the game. Unless it is their turn. Then they may look up from their phone. Worse case is they have someone else roll for them. Just leave the phones at home or in the car.

ShawnDriscoll said:
Players that use their phones at the table tend to remain on their phones during the game. Unless it is their turn. Then they may look up from their phone. Worse case is they have someone else roll for them. Just leave the phones at home or in the car.
It's one thing to say that using the electronics for gaming might start crossing the line from being a pen and paper rpg to a computer rpg however it sounds like you have different issues.

I'm sorry that you have inattentive players that are easily distracted or a GM that can't keep players engaged.

Using a computer (includes phones) to produce sound effects during a game or show images or videos might be just what is needed to help pull players more into the game.

But to each their own.

Some people here hide behind their handle names, so they can't really be taken seriously on this forum.

It's just what I see going on at tables at various game stores. We don't allow phones or computers at our table though. So our Traveller game sessions are fine.

ShawnDriscoll said:
Some people here hide behind their handle names, so they can't really be taken seriously on this forum.

It's just what I see going on at tables at various game stores. We don't allow phones or computers at our table though. So our Traveller game sessions are fine.

My handle is almost old enough to buy alcohol in this state, and has been attached to my real name in print in Traveller contexts. The connection is not as public as some, but its no secret.

I see some social engineering possibilities in the right set of Traveller app features, which is why I would rather limit them to what a PC would have on his HandComp-10. Players need Library Data, near space UWPs, and a Trade Wrangler. Dice should be on the table, as should the character sheet. That's about as far as table-top assistance should go, since every step further risks losing the table.

If a tabletop isn't available, then the tools change as well. GRiP is/was a prime example, though it is now a decade old. There are several different modes of play here, from one player being remote to there being no table at all, to there being no *group*. These last two are the realm of PBEM, GRiP, CRPGs and facebook games, though. The development times and costs can be vast, and are complicated by platform concerns.

My preference would be for play-aids, not necessarily wholesale computer programs. A spreadsheet is sufficient enough for most ship designs. There are already other tools out there for mapping and keeping track of campaigns, and in general running a game with electronic assistance.

Actually, I think if Mongoose were to just let people out there the ability to make freeware software, it would be the best thing for everyone. There has been some nice work done, but people can't really access it because of the licensing restrictions. Free the developers from the onerous burdens of distribution and you'd prolly see this take off and support itself.

I'd rather Mongoose spent their time and energy and money on making the game itself better. Clean up the rules and design systems so that they make sense and they incorporate a lot of the common-sense changes that people use house rules for.

ShawnDriscoll said:
If I designed a solo play game for the PC, I might as well just design a whole Traveller computer adventure game then. I'd love to do a Mongoose Traveller RPG game like Fallout 3, sandboxed pretty much.

No I dont want a video game. Its more for playing when you have the books but no players available or in one aspect have a play test thru to see where to balance adjust the scenario/campaign.

GypsyComet said:
jeheregh said:
Make it also intuitive so the older Grognards don't run away from it screaming.

Cute.

The reason the old players will "run away screaming" will have little to do with interface. Some of us grew up on DOS, after all.

No, I'm less likely to dive into such a thing simply because I prefer my Traveller at a table with friends. I would prefer utilities that enhance *that* experience. If I wanted a FaceBook game, I'd say so.

I'm a older player and wading thru the current dismal out of date traveller gm tools nearly induces me to scream and run away from . They are poorly documented and alot are outdated.

In addition I played role play games in the late 70's and after my term in the army, I had to deal with the real life issues of no time, and having to find players as well that were also encumbered by real life issues. Having then a skype desktop/pbm way to play this game would be nice. I don't just buy my gaming books to collect them I'd like to use them. In addition having good tools that help implement the latest technology improvements can be a terrific benefit.

Also having it all be a one stop shop for a dm with a laptop can remove the need for a dm screen, doing basically what we would use before to hide our notes and dice rolls.

phavoc said:
My preference would be for play-aids, not necessarily wholesale computer programs. A spreadsheet is sufficient enough for most ship designs. There are already other tools out there for mapping and keeping track of campaigns, and in general running a game with electronic assistance.

Actually, I think if Mongoose were to just let people out there the ability to make freeware software, it would be the best thing for everyone. There has been some nice work done, but people can't really access it because of the licensing restrictions. Free the developers from the onerous burdens of distribution and you'd prolly see this take off and support itself.

I'd rather Mongoose spent their time and energy and money on making the game itself better. Clean up the rules and design systems so that they make sense and they incorporate a lot of the common-sense changes that people use house rules for.

I agree there are enough programmers out there that are gamers and enjoy playing Traveller. these are interesting times for interfacing recent technology with our gaming hobby.

Infojunky said:
jeheregh said:
Make it also intuitive so the older Grognards don't run away from it screaming.

Actually as a Grognard and have used the full panoply of Traveller Software, I expect the interfaces would cause the younger set to flee in panic and incomprehension.... :D

A simple GIS for Star Systems still in my belief for a core app... Though I would be against a finish version of the Traveller Suite either...

The problem now faced as a grognard is that msdos ect and ancient things aren't being used and i have had a dev null purge of them. If you look at some of the current software for even classic Traveller its out dated and poorly documented. As for a world building tool that is intuitive, and sort of like in the manner of how steam has been implementing their community workshop. This probably would be accomplished also if there was a way to permit freeware programs to use current mgt content.

ShawnDriscoll said:
The more phones at the table, the less role-play. The more phones in Google Hangout, the even less role-play. It becomes a different game. Some people may like this way of playing. But it isn't a role-playing game anymore.

yeah I think having phones at the table to be a bad idea. But what about those grognards that are surrounded by mundanes and drivethru rpg/ amazon to get your gaming books from?

would be nice to have a solid gm/player tool that can be a one shop service for at least being a "cybernetic" implant for us old grognards to keep everything organized and utilized.

ShawnDriscoll said:
Are you the oldest kid here, Andrew?

Nah, wouldn't say that. Even if I do have the original Classic Traveller LBB's (and they wheren't all out at the time I started getting them).

Ooh I can remember back when 'Metamorphosis Alpha' was the only sci-fi RPG that existed.

I'm not against computers (obviously I'm writing this on one), but I like talking to my friends face-to-face more.

That said, small universal, platform-independent programmes that automate distinct topics such as system generation (and other similar tasks), could be potentially useful to a large number of people.

Lord High Munchkin said:
That said, small universal, platform-independent programmes that automate distinct topics such as system generation (and other similar tasks), could be potentially useful to a large number of people.

My point..... Plus a database...

I rarely get the opportunity to actually PLAY any more, but if I did, what I'd want would be more along the line of the "Player/GM Aide"-ware.

I don't want the program to play for me, just to simplify/automate the kinds of things that I'd otherwise spend time flipping through books, note cards, character sheets, et cetera, to adjudicate/look up. It shouldn't become a distraction, either; the point of the game is to play the game and do the social interaction thing, not spend the entire session staring and poking at a device.

I want a GM component that will store EVERYTHING I need in a campaign, and a PLAYER component that will store only what's directly relevant to that player-character and current campaign, and will connect to the GM component (which is acting as a server for actual play) to get information that ISN'T directly relevant. And I shouldn't NEED the player component, on the off chance that one or more of my players simply don't have Appropriate Devices.

I want it to handle the in-character drudge work of certain kinds of campaigns (e.g., ship's books), but not in a way that takes away opportunities for actual role-playing.

I want it to be flexible enough to handle house-ruling (e.g., using my Lyman Drive instead of the standard Jump Drive, or using Warp Drive, or even go all-out and play Hyperlite. Or Judge Dredd. Or Strontium Dog. Or Prime Directive, when it comes out. Or...). That also means it needs to be extensible, e.g., adding additional characteristics to characters or worlds.

I want to be able to do the equivalent of look through all of the rulebooks and supplements and sourcebooks and house-rules and notes and et cetera for specific information, e.g., what exactly does the skill 'Furshlugginerize (Potrzebie)' cover, and does it matter if I'm in the Blue Navy rather than the Black Navy?

I don't mind if it does Multimedia Stuff to enhance my session, but, like I said above, I don't want it to become a distraction. The device and the program are NOT the point, nor should they be the center of attention; the play's the thing.

I could go on, but I think that what I've said pretty much gets the key issues, and the bolded stuff is absolutely fundamental - fail on the bold stuff, and you fail to get my support.

CosmicGamer said:
If it is just some gaming aids your talking about, people have done it on their own but they can't share because of licensing. Chargen, ship building, random encounters, subsector generation and so on. Why not start by looking at what others have done and offer a way of getting peoples software out to the public? I can see you as a publishing house for RP tools and software written by others.

Virtual tabletop software? Campaign helpers? Lots of those out there. Sorry, but to be brutally honest, I don't see a Mongoose investment in starting this from scratch paying off. Perhaps work with one of the developers already out there to customize a future version for better compatibility with Traveller and sell the add on that has the Traveller "rules".

IanBruntlett said:
About storing stuff:-
* Design your data file(s), preferrably using a commonly supported data-format and include version info so 1) an old app can tell you the data is too new or 2) a new app can handle multiple version(s) of the data file(s)
* Avoid binary data file(s)

Interoperability. Do some research into this. You want all of your major components to be able to talk to each other. Character generators should be able to output something like XML files which can be read by the campaign manager, etc. It is much easier to integrate everything if you use a standard method.

This is also important if you do approach companies or individuals that already have products that you may want to integrate with.

Rather than a new edition. I'd strongly like to see the Droyne, Hiver and K'Kree books done with sectors or in the case of the Droyne maybe a new world approved by Marc Miller

Mike

qstor said:
Rather than a new edition. I'd strongly like to see the Droyne, Hiver and K'Kree books done with sectors or in the case of the Droyne maybe a new world approved by Marc Miller

Mike

Droyne at least is already being worked on, don't have a release date yet though.

Concerning computer-assisted Traveller...

First, I'd like to say that just by providing PDF versions of your books, you have already crossed a bit into this realm. I have something like 40 gaming books loaded into my ipad, and I can't see ever going back. This alone has changed my gaming methods substantially.

Some of these suggestions and opinions mirror existing opinions, but this helps order my thoughts, so I apologize. :D So, with that.. first, some general thoughts:

1) Open. In my experience, virtually every game group and referee has there own quirks/house-rules/etc. If things are hard-coded, it becomes difficult to handle a campaign. If the geekier folks have the ability to add in plugins or modifications, this is somewhat mitigated. This kind of goes, IMO, in the same bucket as interoperability. Some of my gaming friends use Windows machines, some Apple, and with even a smattering of unix/linux. It helps tremendously if there is some sort of support for everyone. This leads to...

2) Optional. My gaming friends have a relatively wide range of disposable incomes. If one player can't afford or is unwilling to purchase a device, it would be great if this didn't bring the game crashing to a halt. IMO, any tools provided for electronic devices should be helpful, but not required by everyone at the table.

Now, on to specific tools that, in my opinion, would enhance and speed-up play. It should be noted that these opinions come from the point of view of a referee. In the past, as I've run MgT sessions, I mentally keep track of what parts I could speed up with a quick computer script here or there. ( I use perl, for ease and speed in creating these scripts, as that is what I'm familiar with )

1) NPC Creators. Books of NPCs are fine, but finite. I have toyed around with the idea of creating scripts to generate NPCs on the fly, with a few bits of guidance from the referee. You could type in a role, species, etc, and it should be possible to spit out something useful. Bundling in random names, personality quirks, and so forth seem a natural addition to this.

2) Random Tables. Perhaps it is my age speaking, but I love tables. But, if you have too many, they can really bog play down. It seems trivial and natural to computerize all this. You could provide pre-existing tables, and allow referees to create or load in their own. Perhaps the hardest part would be finding a way to organize them.

3) World Maker. This is a bit more ambitious. This tool would be along the lines of the NPC creator.. but for planets. Take a UWP, plug it into the tool, and it does some fractal magic, and some random city generation, and poof.. you have a nice random world map. Tie this in with #2 above, and you could have a variety of other useful bits of information. You could have a table of 50 different types of Charismatic Dictatorships, for example. This would be very helpful in a sandbox kind of game if/when the players go somewhere that the referee hasn't planned out.

4) One tool I created, and used constantly, was a 'traveller' tool.. It, quite simply, computed how long it took to get from point A to point B. If you go by the rules, that involves a fair amount of dice rolling, and can really bog the game down, and really nobody cared. ( although they cared enough about their profit margin to want to actually make the rolls.. to trim down travel time, and therefore increase profits ) That, to me, means automation. Now, this was a simple, ugly tool. Professionals could take this to a whole new level. Imagine a point and click map that allowed the referee, or players, to plot out their travels. And a step beyond that.. now imagine a referee doing this for half a dozen important NPCs. You could now easily keep track of locations and travel routes of various NPC ships without losing your mind. :)

I've gone on too long, I suspect.. but I hope you get the picture. Basically, identify tedious parts of the game, and then write tools to speed those up.

Dan
(whew.. somewhat long-winded for a first post.. ;) )

kidfinn said:
3) World Maker. This is a bit more ambitious. This tool would be along the lines of the NPC creator.. but for planets. Take a UWP, plug it into the tool, and it does some fractal magic, and some random city generation, and poof.. you have a nice random world map. Tie this in with #2 above, and you could have a variety of other useful bits of information. You could have a table of 50 different types of Charismatic Dictatorships, for example. This would be very helpful in a sandbox kind of game if/when the players go somewhere that the referee hasn't planned out.

If this is done also make it so that the map can be edited for customization.

kidfinn said:
Concerning computer-assisted Traveller...

3) World Maker. This is a bit more ambitious. This tool would be along the lines of the NPC creator.. but for planets. Take a UWP, ...

I would want it so that I can plug in the main star information, plus companions or randomly generate companions, and create the entire star system. I have done that in a spreadsheet, but my token astronomy knowledge and information gathering via the web (although I did learn more than my Astronomy 101 class many years ago taught me) makes me suspect the systems generated, and they seem sparse on planets (guess I could tweak some of the equations/random number generation). I am more inclined to use one that might have had much more research put into the generation method, plus I created it before the Kepler Telescope went into orbit.

Back