Future Traveller - Suggestions Appreciated

Virtual tablet gaming will happen, but more likely it will take off when WotC reboot one of their franchises.

Dungeoneering, as you've never experienced it before.

Magic cards will be thin AMOLED screens, programmable to be any card, subject to then prevailing table rules.

alex_greene said:
Are we still talking about this? Why has the topic come back? Is someone planning on computerising Trav 2.0?
There are two versions of computerizing the game, one is to use the computer to assist the GM and players in what otherwise is a paper, dice, and pencil game. For this application, there is no reason why the computer/laptop/IPad/IPhone/smartphone can't do the job of dice, paper and pencil, the GM still supplies his imagination and narration in conducting this game, the computer only takes the place of paper, dice, and writing implements.

The second version of this is an actual computer game based on Traveller, the Computer acts as GM for a preprogrammed adventure, all the combat is handled by the computer and software.

It is the first application that I'm talking about here. I find that computer games sort of limit the things players can do, a GM refereed game is more flexible. A person need not know anything about how to play Traveller RPG in order to play an actual computer game based on it, the computer does all the work in the second instance. In the first instance, the computer acts and dice and paper and also does things that are hard to do on paper, such as keeping track of objects in 3-dimensional space.

ShawnDriscoll said:
phavoc said:
Actually, I think if Mongoose were to just let people out there the ability to make freeware software, it would be the best thing for everyone. There has been some nice work done, but people can't really access it because of the licensing restrictions. Free the developers from the onerous burdens of distribution and you'd prolly see this take off and support itself.
Assuming there are a lot of programmers that will program for free. Those that do program Traveller apps for their own use you can count on a hand. Or two. If more people wrote their own Traveller apps, maybe there'd be more YouTube videos posted about them.

I personally don't go to Youtube looking for Traveller-esque software. But I have seen a number of spreadsheets created, and the odd program or three that are usable within Traveller. I even have a Magazine from Traveller's heyday with pages of BASIC code that was originally blessed by Miller for publication.

The issue is, and has been, the same. People may make something, but it's distributed peer to peer and NOT out in general public. Why? Because authors don't want a lot of attention. So long as it's low key it gets tolerated. That's the same logic used by lots of publishers. It's unfortunate publishers do this, as it does nothing for their bottom line. The irony here is that you cannot copyright formulas, so you could still publish something like that and let people change the labels to fit Traveller terms. But that's annoying and I don't see any reason to bother with such subterfuge unless you are really into that.

phavoc said:
People may make something, but it's distributed peer to peer and NOT out in general public.
If that were the case, we'd all have "free" Traveller apps by now that were written by someone. And we wouldn't be looking for Traveller apps now, free or otherwise. Some of my apps I release to the general public, with any specific Traveller rules removed from them. Not many Traveller players are looking for apps though. Most players don't even use G+ Hangouts, which are a must now these days. And they barely know how to use their computers. The opposite of what you'd think a Traveller player knows about computers.

ShawnDriscoll said:
phavoc said:
People may make something, but it's distributed peer to peer and NOT out in general public.
If that were the case, we'd all have "free" Traveller apps by now that were written by someone. And we wouldn't be looking for Traveller apps now, free or otherwise. Some of my apps I release to the general public, with any specific Traveller rules removed from them. Not many Traveller players are looking for apps though. Most players don't even use G+ Hangouts, which are a must now these days. And they barely know how to use their computers. The opposite of what you'd think a Traveller player knows about computers.

Well, my computer doesn't take up cubic dtons of space and run only a program or two at a time, so I'm overwhelmed with this TL16+ tech.

People use G+? It's only half finished and now abandoned by google. I look in the Traveller group there occasionally. Berka's review of the rpgsuite for traveller wasn't favorable. There is functioning stuff out there, and I think it is going from peer to peer, which is unfortunate, because like was said, it helps the publisher (as almost all user generated content does, something video games cashed in on big time, look at minecraft).

Matt,

I've been gaming since the 70's, and one universal constant has always been the consumption of my time. The amount of time it takes to get up to speed on a games rule system, to put characters together, create adventures, detail encounters and locations.

One of my biggest issues with my embracing Traveller, and currently the MGT 2300AD (a setting I have loved for years) is the lack of software assist for character and NPC creation. I am not sure folks on this forum, for the most part, understand what you are proposing, and if it is what I believe it to be, folks would definitely go for it, including those of us who don't have a lot of time dealing with the nuts and bolts of things. Still the same game, still the same rules, still the same experience - just without all the time sink aspects.

Anything that lets me save time in character, npc, ship, planet, encounter, sector, etc. creation, track them all in terms of the adventure, the campaign, and combat is what I'm hoping for.

One interesting approach which you may have seen is what is being done for savage worlds:

https://savageoutfitter.com/welcome/#/

It's an open-beta, with limited functionality, but impressive what has been accomplished so far -

"Today, you can...

Create your own custom Assets* for Savage Worlds in the Asset Manager.
Acquire published Modules** to enhance your Savage Outfitter with Assets from the Marketplace.
Create and Advance Savage Worlds Characters.
Download/Print high-quality, pre-filled Character Sheets.
Coming Soon!

Improved Module Support, making it easier than ever to craft your own Savage Settings.
Improved support for building characters within a Setting.
Character Inventory Management.
Use your Laptop, Tablet, or other Mobile device as a Digital Character Sheet.
Publish your own Modules to the Marketplace as Fan! or Premium Products.

ShawnDriscoll said:

Some of us do Shawn. Sordid, illegal programs meant to make gaming easier and aspects of it more enjoyable.

I don't share your cynicism about the average Traveller player. Then again I don't share a lot of your opinions.

But I can live with that.

Computer aids are at best a tool. Not even at the level of dice - that is, they're optional.

Technically, though, even the dice are optional tho' this is affected by which game is being played.

Jame Rowe said:
Computer aids are at best a tool. Not even at the level of dice - that is, they're optional.

Technically, though, even the dice are optional tho' this is affected by which game is being played.
Computers are better than dice, they don't fall off the table when you roll the virtual dice, with Traveller, you only had d6s, with a computer you can have, d2, d3, d4, d5, d6, d7, d8, d9, dn, whatever you want, an excel spreadsheet can facilitate it. What would really be useful would be a dice app for Ipad and Iphone.

Tom Kalbfus said:
Computers are better than dice, they don't fall off the table when you roll the virtual dice, with Traveller, you only had d6s, with a computer you can have, d2, d3, d4, d5, d6, d7, d8, d9, dn, whatever you want, an excel spreadsheet can facilitate it. What would really be useful would be a dice app for Ipad and Iphone.
And, if you can't run or afford Microsoft Office, there is also http://www.libreoffice.org/ to fall back on.

Tom Kalbfus said:
Jame Rowe said:

There already are dice apps, even Traveller specific ones, for ipad and iphone and androids and so forth. Personally, I could care less about another dice app. I'd like character and npc and encounter creation to not only be facilitated by software but designed to help me be a more efficient referee, track and facilitate combat, task resolution, ship construction, ship combat, trade, planetary details, the works. I'd like to be able to run a campaign without having to crack open a book. I'm not talking about a computer sim - there is Star Citizen for that; I'm talking about being able to completely run a table top or VTT game from an application.

I'd like to see an editable "Library" program where I could keep both standard Library entries, a timeline, world/system information etc. and be able to show different levels of access, i.e. basic information, advanced, and GM only perhaps. Being able to import data would be a big plus, why reinvent the wheel if others have done the basic work and you can share.

Spartan159 said:
I'd like to see an editable "Library" program where I could keep both standard Library entries, a timeline, world/system information etc. and be able to show different levels of access, i.e. basic information, advanced, and GM only perhaps. Being able to import data would be a big plus, why reinvent the wheel if others have done the basic work and you can share.
Sort of like a downloadable wiki, sort of thing, formatted to look more futuristic.

Back