Fusion+ Rules?

The Canterbury Tail

Banded Mongoose
So I run a Milieu 0 campaign and I was looking through the books looking for rules on Fusion+ units as since my group are scouts the odds are they’ll have a couple portable units as bargaining and negotiation chips for contacting old worlds. However I can’t seem to locate anywhere with rules and equipment info on them. They’re mentioned in the Third Imperium book, but just a mention. Are there any stats or rules for Fusion+ devices anywhere in the 2nd edition rulebooks?

Not yet. I've tossed some into the Central Supply Catalogue coming out... when the Traveller Release Schedule/New Books thread says, which is currently listed in November of this year (but since the book has 2023 in the name... )

Only book I have with me is 1e, where A Type A ship's power plant displaces 4 tons and costs 8mCr. Could possibly get that down with higher tech in 2e.

Only book I have with me is 1e, where A Type A ship's power plant displaces 4 tons and costs 8mCr. Could possibly get that down with higher tech in 2e.
2nd edition did away with that. Power plants are now percentage based. And some tech upgrades are available in 2nd edition High Guard.

They... did away with the tonnage and cost, too? Otherwise it's still a resource, dude has a book presumably.

No I'm talking about the small man luggable portable (they could be as small as 10 litres) self contained Fusion+ (cold fusion) power systems that Zhunastu Industries developed just before the declaration of Empire and that they used to wow contacted planets with contained clean portable energy and was heavily used to entice planets to join the Imperium. They could not be user maintained or refuelable, can't have the customer not need you anymore. So smaller than starship power cores, but capable of providing a moderate tech small town with a power supply. They were basically the Third Imperium's main trade good in the early days to get systems to join.

No I'm talking about the small man luggable portable (they could be as small as 10 litres) self contained Fusion+ (cold fusion) power systems that Zhunastu Industries developed just before the declaration of Empire and that they used to wow contacted planets with contained clean portable energy and was heavily used to entice planets to join the Imperium. They could not be user maintained or refuelable, can't have the customer not need you anymore. So smaller than starship power cores, but capable of providing a moderate tech small town with a power supply. They were basically the Third Imperium's main trade good in the early days to get systems to join.
Yeah, that. Should be included in the new CSC unless it got edited out. Except they are refuellable with water or deuterium-enriched water. Tried to balance what was in T4 with what is in MgT2e and what will be coming in the new 2300 Tools for Frontier Living. So if I got the balance just right, everyone will be unhappy. The bugbear stinking up the corner (okay, so that is actually not a euphemism, but should be), is what it would do to vehicle ranges. Megatraveller and T4-wise, an air/raft could run for weeks, not so much with the Vehicle Handbook... and I can't remember (or don't care to remember) how it worked in New Era.

Yeah, that. Should be included in the new CSC unless it got edited out. Except they are refuellable with water or deuterium-enriched water. Tried to balance what was in T4 with what is in MgT2e and what will be coming in the new 2300 Tools for Frontier Living. So if I got the balance just right, everyone will be unhappy. The bugbear stinking up the corner (okay, so that is actually not a euphemism, but should be), is what it would do to vehicle ranges. Megatraveller and T4-wise, an air/raft could run for weeks, not so much with the Vehicle Handbook... and I can't remember (or don't care to remember) how it worked in New Era.
If you're making everyone unhappy, then you're doing your job correctly :)

Fusion+ has been a feature of the OTU since its introduction in T4 and then continued into T5.

If Geir has added more detail about Fusion+ in the new CSC, then we should have that soon. In Mongoose terms, I would assume it's a slightly less efficient TL8 fusion power plant (maybe 90% efficiency, which makes it the just a bit better than fission, but not by much; however, there is the added advantage that it can power jump drives, which fission cannot). As the Sylean Federation began to branch out, it presumably goes through product iterations and gradually becomes fully functional TL8 fusion, then proceeding through more product generations and advancements as Tech Levels go higher.

For what I remember from T4, Fusion+ was around 50% smaller per MW than fusion of the same TL (starting at TL10), but being a decentralized system (many small modules instead of a monolithic plant), you couldn't have scale efficiency.
A very big Fusion powerplant would provid more power than a same TL Fusion+.
The other differnce is that it used heavy water instead of Deuterium (until TL11) Liquid Hydrogen (starting at TL12), and used fuel faster (.0015 dT per dT of powerplant per hour, normal fusion lasted for one year).
Useful for vehicles and short range small ships. Too much fuel to store for jump capable ships. An frontier refueling is harder (you need heavy water, not just hydrogen or deuterium)
I don't know how this would map with MgTrav2. The ruleset is different to T4.

According to the T5 tech charts fusion+ is TL11, somehow managing to produce fusion reactions at room temperature.

Back