French Lone Wolf RPG

Darknat

Mongoose
Is it true that the french are getting the lone wolf rpg and the magic of magnamund supplement with more material?

If that's the case, are we also gonna get it in english? (if not new versions of the rpg game, maybe just the new info or something)

Yes, this is true.

there we have the Magic of Magnamund, the Darklands, with more material.

And, along with that, the entire description of the Kai Monastery, for use for both the First and Second Orders of the Kai.

As for having all of this is English, better is to ask to Mongoose. The only French material that was translated into English was the description of Captain Cearmaine (Rising Sun 18 )

Eric

Lokhuzor said:
Yes, this is true.

And, along with that, the entire description of the Kai Monastery, for use for both the First and Second Orders of the Kai.

As for having all of this is English, better is to ask to Mongoose. The only French material that was translated into English was the description of Captain Cearmaine (Rising Sun 18 )

Eric

Thanks for the info. That captain is the same guy that appears in the new cover of Magic of Magnamund, right?

Is it possible to purchase the french versions on pdf? something like the english versions in the drivethrurpg.com site?

Lokhuzor said:
Yes, this is true.

Eric

A description of the entire monastery for both 1st and 2nd Orders?! Do you have any idea if any of that will been translated into English? I would love to see it, and even pay a few bucks to boot. I just did a campaign with the 1st Order monastery and ended up modifying what was in the Magnamund Companion... If only I could speak French and had known this 4 months ago. Anyway, if you have any more information about it I would appreciate anything you can tell me.

Lokhuzor said:

Oh yeah. And there will be a new map for Darklands, illustrating the provinces of the territory of the Darklords!

Darknat said:
Lokhuzor said:
Yes, this is true.

Eric

Thanks for the info. That captain is the same guy that appears in the new cover of Magic of Magnamund, right?

Is it possible to purchase the french versions on pdf? something like the english versions in the drivethrurpg.com site?

There is no planned pdf version of the supplement.

Yes, the Monastery is described for both 1st and 2nd Orders. The Masters of the Kaï are described for MS 5000 and MS 5070, and there are even characters (from the books) described for MS 5050. This playing aid incorporates the new information on the Monastery of the book 1.

And there is more : the sect of Vonotar described, and two adventures.

The supplément comes with illustrations of Gary Chalk (some of them originals, never already seen), Paul Bonner, Rich Longmore, Brian William, and for the cover, Alberto del Lago.

The captain Cearmaine is not the guy that appears in the cover of Magic of Magnamund.

Eric

longhairyuppiescum said:
BlackCat said:
The cover by Alberto Dal Lago for the upcoming French supplement is pretty nice: http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/1820/lwrpgfinalcopia2vp8.jpg
Hey, that picture shows Grey Star fighting together with a Kai Lord wielding the Sommerswerd and a Knight of the White Mountain!?

Yes, this picture shows Grey Star fighting with a Kai Lord (Lone Wolf) and a Knight of the White Mountain.

And, if it really happens in such context in the upcoming Lone Wolf 29-32, I will be very, very happy. But only Joe Dever can tell that the meeting between Grey Star and Lone Wolf happen like that.

Eric

Ah, the Kai Lord is indeed supposed to be Lone Wolf? - Well, it's artistic freedom then that Alberto Del Lago pictured him with dark hair.
Alberto Del Lago does great covers indeed, btw.

Just coming back to the French Lone Wolf material... though the topic's been dead for a few weeks.

I'm fairly bilingual French/English, and I've done some translation work for various companies in Paris. I'm also a rather devoted Lone Wolf fan. I'll make no promises about time, as I have a lot on my plate anyway. But I'd be happy to look over any stuff in French. What do you guys need translating?

Hmm... not sure I've publically listed my email here. I'll throw it in on the next post.

Hello Bittermind, nice to see you on this forum too :D . Of course we are interested by some help for the translations, as you've may be noticed, I've not a fluent english :lol: (I'm the worst). So you can contact us!

Ooh, hello. Didn't realise there was so much cross-pollination between the forums. Yes, if there's anything PA-related, happy to help there too. Let me know. Still having difficulty figuring out who's connected with which forums, and in what capacity.

I sent an email to Le Grimoire to volunteer my help with translating their new Lone Wolf stuff, actually. I got a reply back today - it could be going ahead. I'll keep interested people informed.

That's cool to know that another bilingual French/English can help Le Grimoire! Because sometimes we make errors of translation that can alter our work. Last example: I understood the word "upheaval" as "uprising' in french. And so, I thought that Northern Cloeasia was destroyed by a geological uprising whereas there are no cliffs on the coast of the Wildlands... In fact, it has been destroyed by a violent geological upheaval (seims, faults...) related to the creation of the Maakengorge in MS 3055...

Update on the French RPG material: 'Le Grimoire du Magnamund' is printed and ready for release, and my grasping fingers have managed to get hold of an advance copy...

'Le Grimoire du Magnamund' collects translations of the supplements 'The Magic of Magnamund' and 'The Darklands'. It also has 50-something pages of original, French-only material, including: -

- A map, history and detailed descriptions of the Kai monastery.
- Descriptions of significant 1st and 2nd Order Kai lords.
- An in-depth look at Vonotar's follwers, the Sect of the Black Serpent.
- Stats and bio on Vonotar.
- 3 scenarios, 'The Sceptre of Ishir', 'Arjav, at the Gates of Eshnar,' and 'Murder in the Monastery'.
- A new character class, 'Archer of Toran'.

(Am I allowed a non-Mongoose plug?) If people happen to be in Paris on May 16th, the people at Le Grimoire have, for the launch of the book, set up an afternoon dedicated to Lone Wolf, and to roleplaying in general. Details on the (French-Language) Loup Solitaire forum: -

http://www.loup-solitaire.fr/forum-loup-solitaire/viewtopic.php?t=340

As for a translation into English of this new material... it may happen, but not soon. My understanding is that Mongoose have no plans to release an official translation. Possibly Le Grimoire will at some point release a downloadable translation. Though I'd be surprised if that happened before sales of 'Le Grimoire du Magnamund' had begun to wind down.

I'd be happy to take a stab at translating this material and putting it online myself... but only once Le Grimoire have given the green light, I'm afraid...

Some more details about this book, still available for french speaking gamers:

“Archer of Toran” is not a french character class, that’s just the translation of the Toranese Archer class available in Signs & Portents 22 (the book includes too another class translation from S&P : The Vagabond).

The 50 pages Bittermind mentioned include most of the french new material, written by Eric Dubourg aka Faucon de Lune. It includes a nice map of the Monastery with some exclusive drawings, an illustration of a Kai Lord and the different Kai ranks, a partial map of the Maakenmines with some additional drawings, by Jidus, and a detailed map of Sommerlund (with state and barony boundaries) I draw.

But we developed a lot more things:

For Magic of Magnamund :
- Each new class was expanded with the description of a famous character (with stats) and, for most of the classes, background informations:
  • - Cener Druids: Cadak description, elements about Malis Mound and Fogwood (from the new Flight from the Dark), additional creature: Cener Skeleton (6 pages)
    - Herbalish : Madin Rendalim description (1 page)
    - Kundi Mystic: Urik description, elements about the Kundi village and the chief Okosa (2p)
    - Sage of Lyris: Gwynian description, new Karkaste and Soren descriptions (as Karkaste couldn’t be presented as a port, no river crossing the city!), Hall of Learning (including Key to the Future background informations)(4p)
    - Shadakine Wytch/Wytch Child: Mother Magri description, elements about the 6 other “Mothers”, historical options, Cabal of the Sisters of Ishir, alternative progression table (6p)
    - Shianti Sorcerer : Grey Star description, elements about the Isle of Lorn and the Shianti (4p)
    - Vakeros Knight : Paido description (1p)
- Magical craft: translation of the full unreleased version, including more skills (Rune working...) and objects (10p instead of 4)

For The Darklands:
- Full map of the Darklands, including internal boundaries and neighboor countries (and absolutely all the informations I found in the different sources)
- Full description of Jarkaasm, and 2 “forgotten” provinces : Ghargon (Gournen) and Zutzinozaga (Mozgôar)(4p)
- Additional city descriptions: Aaknar, Argazad and main Drakkarim cities (2p)
- Expanded and rectified Creatures chapter (Crocaryx, Dhax, Egorgh, Liganim)
- Annexes about:
  • - the Vashna Disciples (8p)
    - the Drakkarim States (4p)
    - the relationship between the Darklands and Vassagonia (2p)
I confirm Le Grimoire has no plans to release any translation of these works, even on a downloadable pdf.
But Scriptarium, the new association composed by ex-Le Grimoire contributors including those who wrote 95% of the new material, could make translations. I think it could be interesting, at less for what I created, as I’m quite proud of that stuff. ;-)
And, of course, if Bittermind (I met in Paris during Le Salon du Jeu trade fair) is still interested in translating it, it could fasten the process! :lol:

Floribur said:
“Archer of Toran” is not a french character class, that’s just the translation of the Toranese Archer class available in Signs & Portents 22 .

I wrote that. It is kind of cool it got translated. I hope I got a credit. :D

I actually got that at Christmas...quite embarrassingly timed as I forgot I bid with everything that happened around then!

Sadly my french is non-existant so it will take quite a while to get any I might liek from it, but the GC art is cool

Greg Smith said:
I wrote that. It is kind of cool it got translated. I hope I got a credit. :D
Useful class description! One of my players chose a Toranese Archer and loved to play it.

I'm surprized you didn't know your work was translated and published!
I don't guarantee you was credited for this text, as that wouldn't be the first time Le Grimoire forget to credit contributors.

:roll:
To be honest, I'm not so surprised they didn't at less inform you, as the basic rules of human relationship and mutual respect don't seem to be known by le Grimoire staff. That's why most of the main contributors flew away. :lol:

Back