Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer d20

Should Mongoose find a way to publish Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer for the d20 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably

• Don't Know

• Probably Not

• Total voters
Sounds cool but what setting would they use? The Gath of Baal setting from the old Tor novels, the current Image setting with the comic book or the Verotik setting? They were all approved by Frank. I think writers have a hard time figuring out the Death Dealers back story other than he deals death aplenty.

I love Franks work and try to support him whenever I can and I would probably buy this RPG but I'm not sure if there is enough material.

I'm not against a new game going wit RQ rules, so that'd be ok. However, just because that seems to be the end-all-be-all ruleset around here, I'm gonna suggest my own favorite. D6 up in dis beeatch. Oh yeah, and Death Dealer would be hot as donut's in da devil's kitchen.

Well i voted not to make it with d20, but i wouldn't buy it as d20 or as MRQ. Just my copper farthing

I would pick it up with RQ rules. If you include the original paintings, the novels, the two series of comics, and the Fire and Ice movie, there's plenty of material from which to draw.

You would want to find a way to really showcase the art, though. Can Mongoose do color inserts with the new press? I've heard that full color on the new machine is pretty expensive. The art is key for that world coming to life.

stutwothousand said:
I would pick it up with RQ rules. If you include the original paintings, the novels, the two series of comics, and the Fire and Ice movie, there's plenty of material from which to draw.

Deathdealer had nothing to do with Fire & Ice. Darkwolf stared as the warrior in Fire & Ice.

Well . . . yeah--that's true. But as to establishing a Frank Frazetta "world," with just a few paintings to go on, I think you need to cast around. I think the film's representative of his work, and helps to build a strong visual referrence for the world, even if Darkwolf isn't exactly the Death Dealer. I mean--you could use all kinds of swords & sorcery material, but the world isn't really Hyperborea, or Nehwon, or anything else. It's lush and exotic and racy and wierd, and really stands on its own, imo.

stutwothousand said:
Well . . . yeah--that's true. But as to establishing a Frank Frazetta "world," with just a few paintings to go on, I think you need to cast around. I think the film's representative of his work, and helps to build a strong visual referrence for the world, even if Darkwolf isn't exactly the Death Dealer. I mean--you could use all kinds of swords & sorcery material, but the world isn't really Hyperborea, or Nehwon, or anything else. It's lush and exotic and racy and wierd, and really stands on its own, imo.

Well, there are worlds created in the novels and in both comic series that are much more elaborate and reflective of Frank's paintings then the intentionally simplistic world - ice & not ice - presented in Fire & Ice. Say that last part five times. :lol:

I would totally buy this book but would you want a new backgound or which of the established settings (novels & comics) would you want? I would like to see a totally new, Frazetta approved background personally.

I would also like a coherent, reimagined world, informed by the aforementioned material, but bigger, steamier, lush with art, and distinctly Frazetta. I would love to see his approval and a foreward.

I don't know if he would want to contribute a new drawing or charcoal. I know he doesn't paint much since he had a stroke. But his vision really defines much of what fantasy feels like in my games. A definitive work concentrating on his art would be a prized volume.

I'd buy it reguardless of being wither D20 or RQ.
Just imagine a setting book based and approved by Frazetta. :D

stutwothousand said:
Well . . . yeah--that's true. But as to establishing a Frank Frazetta "world," with just a few paintings to go on, I think you need to cast around.
I think this is the crux of the problem. As great an artist as Frazetta is, he’s not really a world designer. He imagines neat things and paints them. He makes no attempt to be internally consistent, to build “game balance” or any of the things key in game design. If you thought it was tricky to adapt a novel into game format, try taking a painting and making an RPG out of it.
stutwothousand said:
I would also like a coherent, reimagined world, informed by the aforementioned material, but bigger, steamier, lush with art, and distinctly Frazetta. I would love to see his approval and a foreward.
Yeah, what we’d get is an art book and Frazetta has already published several of those. This just seems so much like the whole cart-before-the-horse phenomenon because rather than starting with the cake (setting) we’re starting with the frosting (images) and have no real guarantee that there is any substance underneath.
Mythos said:
Just imagine a setting book based and approved by Frazetta. :D
I just can’t see it. Frazetta is creative but this is a whole new game world. How do we know that it would be anywhere as interesting as the artwork? I admire Frazetta as an artist, but I just don’t see this as RPG material. Maybe I’m overlooking something obvious? :?

I do think there's a whole game world in amongst those paintings. You can feel it. Clearly, it's compelling enough to have spawned movies, novels, and comics. I further think it has a life of its own, apart from the various properties Frazetta has illustrated. I think it's just waiting there to be delineated for gamers.

I don't feel like Frazetta has to write the book. It would be very cool, though, if he read it, and enjoyed it enough to give it a seal of approval indicating that he felt like it was not an embarrassment to his work.

Back